BillBelew.com
BloggingContent CreationMisc.

Why Free No Longer Works2074

Teacher Winsome1 private msg quote post Address this user
The Internet can be a great resource for book writers and in the past, was a free resource to learn how to market your book as well. Now that the face of book marketing has changed, authors must change too!
When I first started out, the basics were to open an author page on Facebook, open a Twitter account, and start connecting. Engagement was sharing and liking and that was about all there was to it. If you self- published your book, this was the best way to get your message out. Now, whether you are trying to shop your book to a traditional publisher or self- publish, you need to have an audience to sell books.
The question is, how do you build this audience? If you have been watching the authors out there who are self- published and selling a lot of books, you have probably noticed that they are Internet marketers. Many of those authors do not have books that are any better or any worse than the book you have written. The difference is that they spent a tremendous amount of time building an audience that they not only sell their books, but also seminars, webinars, coaching, and products.
So, how did they learn how to do that? Time tested trial and error is the short answer. Internet marketing is time- consuming and confusing to set up if you do not know what you are doing. It can be a frustrating process that can be fruitless if you don’t start out on the right foot.
Last week, one of my colleagues emailed me to find out I was getting clients at the process I charge to coach. She is teaching the same Internet marketing methods I do because she knows that is how it is done now. Her question came out of frustration because she was charging half of what I charge and she felt like many of her clients weren’t very committed. The very next day, she raised her prices. Why, because this isn’t a process that you are going to commit to half- heartedly. You have to be in or out.
Day in and day out I hear authors tell me that they are not tech savvy. Well, listen up! In order to market a book correctly, you need to have some tech skills. Your email list is your gold. In order to build a list of ardent followers, you will need to set up a website, give away freebies, capture email addresses, and write regular correspondence to your followers/ fans. What does that mean? It means you will have to identify a niche audience and communicate with them on a regular basis. It means that instead of liking and sharing on social media, you will need to start engaging and really asking this audience what they want from you. Yes, that means that you no longer assume you know what they want and you no longer teach them what you think they need to know. You begin writing your blog, newsletters, emails, and crafting your autoresponder to cater to the wants of your masses.
Without understanding your niche audience and their pain points, there is no hope of connecting with your audience. No connection, means no audience building. The days of trying to figure out how to market your book without the guidance of a coach are over. The good news is that once you master the skills required, you can use them for a plethora of different venues. For the most part, the communication and tech skills to build your audience are the same one’s that you would use to build a coaching business, speaking platform, or even marketing a store front business.
Are you just getting by?
Post 1 • IP   flag post
Forum Owner Belew private msg quote post Address this user
@Winsome1

For a newbie ... ground zero... where do you recommend they start?
Post 2 • IP   flag post
Great question. Newbies need to start with identifying who their niche audience is and begin connecting with them while writing their books. This is best achieved by setting up a platform which includes social media, delivering valuable content, and responsive email list. A responsive email list is the most essential tool an author can have to launch their book to #1.
Post 3 • IP   flag post
@Winsome1

I like that you use the term "responsive email list." as opposed to just getting a bunch of emails.

But therein lies a problem ... how *do* you get people to respond to your email ... gosh, to just get them opened.

Even the best of email open rates are less than 20% and that doesn't even mean they are read.

How do you do 'responsive?'
Post 4 • IP   flag post
By providing valuable content on a consistent basis and developing a relationship. Most email list owners do not treat their list like trusted friends. The key to a responsive list is building relationships with your subscribers.
Post 5 • IP   flag post
@Winsome1

So, you would say that a good email list = responsive email list, is one that requires work?

Novel idea, eh?

Thanks!
Post 6 • IP   flag post
Yes, right on!
Post 7 • IP   flag post
Member Seniorpreneur private msg quote post Address this user
@Winsome1 Welcome! How do you market a self-help business book to the 50+ demographic? Or, do you think most seniors will just go to their own local public library and get some FREE e-books? Thanks!
Post 8 • IP   flag post
Hi- Thanks for the kind welcome! The key to marketing any book well is building relationships with your audience. A self- help business book would need to be broken down into which niche your audience can be found in. Having a broad audience...50+ demographic, needs to be broken down even further. Who do you serve? Men or women? What professions, activities, etc? Many seniors still go to the library but the ones that are more interested in business are probably more tech savvy and on the Internet. Selling books on the Internet requires an Internet marketing presence. Do you have a niche audience? Where on the Internet is your niche audience hanging out? Do you have a book funnel? Are you providing valuable content for them and making yourself the "go to" resource for their growth. All of these elements are involved in book marketing and building a base of readers and fans. If you are interested in learning more about what it takes to build an audience around your book, check out this lead magnet. Thanks! https://authorsuccessacademy.leadpages.co/28-day-challenge/
Post 9 • IP   flag post
@Winsome1 Thanks very much for the step by step procedure for writing,publishing & marketing a non-fiction business book. I just joined the 28-Day challenge and I have already listened to the first couple days of instruction. Personally, I am based in Canada where lifelong learning & senior entrepreneurship is NOT the way of life here as it already is in the USA.

I agree with you that seniors 50+ will need to be more tech savvy and probably need to learn about business and e-commerce. As I senior myself my original goal was to produce a non-fiction business book which I have on my website- http://www.seniorpreneur.ca/ and also on Amazon.

Also, originally I had a book funnel- My Blog- http://seniorpreneur.wordpress.com However; because of the very little interest show in Canada at that time, it made me suspend my blog writing for now anyways. It took me a lot of time & hard work to produce the 36-only blog articles that are on my wordpress site.

Because my major focus was on book production I paid little or no attention to how I'm going to market my book. This was a big mistake and it has caused my frustration level & confusion to increase. I know that Canada will be an ideal place for senior entrepreneurship over the next five years, but for now I'm asking for more 'business support groups' for the 50+ entrepreneurs to make this happen.

Thanks again for your valuable help!
Post 10 • IP   flag post
You are welcome. Thank you for joining the FB group. You are in a position to be a trend setter in this area!
Post 11 • IP   flag post
Member Laurieawe private msg quote post Address this user
You are correct that having an audience is necessary for any online business these days. I am having fun building a responsive audience using Twitter, Instagram and Facebook. I also blog on Wednesdays.
Post 12 • IP   flag post
@Laurieawe Welcome! I just followed you on TWITTER. Some time ago I was advised to go on Twitter especially since I wrote & self-published a non-fiction book to help 50+ seniors with the topics of Lifelong Learning & Senior Entrepreneurship. Today, I have over 5,000 followers. So, how do you build a 'responsive audience' when 95% of them are mostly interested in what they have to sell you but totally neglect or refuse to learn what you are working on?
Post 13 • IP   flag post
First off, I have chosen not to use any automation. As far as efficiency in gaining followers, this is not very effective. But it works for me. I have a visual mind. When I see someone's name I recognize it the next time I see it. So I can tell if I have added someone or not. I am specifically following people with 10-10K followers. I follow anyone who has followed me. I read the tweet feed looking for people who have been retweeted that meet my follow criteria and then follow them. My other way of getting followers is to constantly be tweeting things that are thought-provoking, inspirational or teaching. I spend a lot of time at my laptop. When I designed the business I have, I included several hours a day at my laptop as it is my favorite thing to be doing. I listen to webinars/podcasts and tweet the tidbits I glean from them. I respond to any DMs or notifications I get. I also use Instagram and Facebook to grow my audience. I blog on Wednesdays.
Post 14 • IP   flag post
That's great Laurie. We all do what works for us. Building a following on social media is very important. However I would encourage you to put some automation in place. Here's why. Until you bring those followers into your email list, they are not really yours. They actually belong to the social media platform. If your FB page gets hacked and shut down, you will lose all of those followers.

One of my very good friends had a thriving following in MySpace.com. Her entire living was based on advertisers for an online newsletter that she produced there and had over 300,000 hits a month on it. Unfortunately, when MySpace went under, she lost her entire business, she lost her entire readership and her advertising income.

Congrats on building a great following. A lot of hard work there!
Post 15 • IP   flag post
I am working on getting my audience to put their email into my lead capture pages. However for some reason it isn't working yet. I am using a page generated by the business I am affiliated with. They claim a 20%-30% conversion rate but I have yet to convert any with over 1000 views from various sources. My strategy is to just get more views driven by sharing content of value to my target market. Do you have any other suggestions?
Post 16 • IP   flag post
This is such a timely question! If you are not getting the conversion that they are promising lose them. Hire a marketing professional that will not guarantee a conversion rate but will commit to continually split testing and adjusting until the right formula appears with the conversion you are looking for.

On my last launch, I hired a FB ad guy who promised me the world. In three months, we brought in 120 opt- ins. That is horrible. I was doing better on my own. I just hired a marketing team that is re- doing my opt- ins and ads and just in one week, we have 42 opt- ins. The team is telling me that isn't good enough and continuing to adjust and test.

Just putting up the tools won't get you the audience, you will need to invest in some professional help.
Post 17 • IP   flag post
I am an affiliate for Six Figure Mentors. It is an educational company that teaches you the mindset and skills to have a life that you love working with an online business. I like what they teach and have never had success with any other marketing I have tried. Other people have made successful businesses working with them and I want to be one of them. I don't think I need to try something new, I just need to get better at what I am doing.
Post 18 • IP   flag post
Awesome! If you are learning how to convert...you will be successful.
Post 19 • IP   flag post
This is the lesson that I have come up against time and again. I am determined to find the answer this time. I went for the offer, there must be others out there like me. Just gotta connect with them.
Post 20 • IP   flag post
@Winsome1

Great wisdom, feedback and insight on promising the world.

I'd like to know more abt those folks you hired ... the second group, not the first. 8-)
Post 21 • IP   flag post
Bill- Here is the info for Danielle Pettiford. She is amazing. Not only less expensive than the last guy but, she keeps tweaking until it converts. Here is a link to get a hold of her. Please fill me in as the referral source so she knows I am passing her name along for doing a great job!
https://form.jotform.com/62625084207150

Thanks
Post 22 • IP   flag post
@Winsome1

Thanks! Will do.
Post 23 • IP   flag post
@Winsome1

We almost connected ... We talked. She came to the Bay Area for another event and we had decided to meet F2F. Didn't happen.

Still waiting to hear from her ... or not.

Maybe I need to just figure out how to do it myself.
Post 24 • IP   flag post
29723 24 24
destitute