BillBelew.com
Business Advice

Scamming New York Times is Doable2101

Belew private msg quote post Address this user
If it can be scammed somebody will do it.

I was listening to a podcast today and they explained how NY Times book sales list can be scammed.

Yeesh. Boy am I naive.
Post 1 • IP   flag post
Nebrgenius private msg quote post Address this user
You aren't one.
Post 2 • IP   flag post
Nebrgenius private msg quote post Address this user
Oops..the ONLY one.
Post 3 • IP   flag post
Rev private msg quote post Address this user
It seems many want to beat the system -- most often by cheating -- instead of playing the game to win. The latter is so much more fun.
Post 4 • IP   flag post
Steve private msg quote post Address this user
A lot of supposed "Best Selling Book" lists are little more than people knowing exactly how to promote a book to gain such a badge on Amazon, etc...

Why else do you think so many influecers give away special pre-sales copies of kindle based books for example...
Post 5 • IP   flag post
Rev private msg quote post Address this user
@Steve

You nailed it. Scam or influence? That's what influencers do!
Post 6 • IP   flag post
tammysoffices private msg quote post Address this user
YES indeed @Steve! Although, do you think if it is 'good content' (in the ebook) is it still scam? I understand it still scam to say 'best seller', but really if people like it and walk away with something from it, isn't it still good content @belew, @Rev?
Post 7 • IP   flag post
It turns out that you can spend up to $200K+ to get a top 10 ranking in NY Times list.

The company you pay the $200K to buys 100K copies or some such number to get your ranking ... the rest is up to the sheep ... baaa!!

Who'd a thunk?

Apparently NY Times is just catching on to the scam ... but WSJ is already out ahead of them.
Post 8 • IP   flag post
KimSutton private msg quote post Address this user
I have to ask, however...

If you had millions sitting in your account and could afford to buy a few hundred thousand copies of your own book to ensure you wound up on the NYT Best Sellers list, would you?

I can't honestly say I wouldn't purchase my book to get the spot.
Post 9 • IP   flag post
Wow @belew! Who knew? I guess we do now, right? Lol

@KimSutton I still do not think I could do it myself. Also, how is spending 200K to have them buy 100K books making them money? Most books are more than $1 or $2/each. Unless we are discussing the freebies. Do they also post reviews? Lol

I cannot believe the NY Times, does not *Fact Check* better as a reputable newspaper (guess they have been loosing that title anyway).
Post 10 • IP   flag post
@KimSutton

If i could pay $200k.. get that spot and capitalize on it to make $500k...then it makes sense, no?
Post 11 • IP   flag post
Sorry I should have clarified @belew - I meant the company who charged them 200K to purchase the 100K of books? How is that company making money (unless we are saying the books are free or $1)?
Post 12 • IP   flag post
26857 12 12
destitute