BillBelew.com
BrainstormingBusiness Advice

Where do you find recommended reading?2104

Forum Owner Belew private msg quote post Address this user
In light of the fact that NY Times best selling book lists can be scammed ... not to mention Amazon ranking books that will make them the most money ... where to you turn to get recommended reading?

Of course, it will differ depending on the kind of book you are looking for.

Pleasure or business?

Where do you look for recommendations?
Post 1 • IP   flag post
Member shedmaster private msg quote post Address this user
My starting point is Amazon....or , if I know the title of the book I want..I "Google" it...
Post 2 • IP   flag post
@shedmaster

What if you are 'just looking'?
Post 3 • IP   flag post
Member KimSutton private msg quote post Address this user
I get most of my recommended reading by listening to podcasts. My Amazon wish list is close to $500 with books I've heard about on podcasts, and I already have a full shelf waiting to be read.
Post 4 • IP   flag post
@KimSutton

That's a great idea... which leads, of course, how do you find the podcasts you are interested in?
Post 5 • IP   flag post
Member tammysoffices private msg quote post Address this user
What about Audible @belew & @KimSutton ? Of course there is a charge of about $15/mth but you can listen to books (and most are 'acted' out and very good. 'The Help' was amazing - listening on road trips especially enjoyable!
Post 6 • IP   flag post
@belew is there a link to an article about the Times?
Post 7 • IP   flag post
Member KimSutton private msg quote post Address this user
@tammysoffices, I love Audible, but I find I often want the physical copy so I can highlight and make notes.
Post 8 • IP   flag post
@tammysoffices

It came up in a podcast...

how to write a book that can make you millions.

The company that will do this for you is ResultsSource. No link as I don't want them to benefit.

Turns out NYT may be getting wise to them and they have had to refund on occasion because they couldn't fulfill their guarantee.

Which is to say ... that's not the point. My point at first is that so many things, including book rankings, can be scammed.

Buyer beware I guess.
Post 9 • IP   flag post
If I'm just looking, I'll still "Google" the subject...and then take my pick..
Post 10 • IP   flag post
Member Nebrgenius private msg quote post Address this user
Rethinking where to go now. The NYTIMES was my guide. "Being Mortal " by Guande was off & on the list for a long time. I read it before going to care for my 87 yr. old mother. It was tremendous help. Sorry I am off topic.
Post 11 • IP   flag post
@belew don't blame you for not wanting to give those guys any publicity! I wouldn't either.

Yes @KimSutton I love Audible also but agree sometimes I like it in print (not even digital -lol).

Yes, in today's world many things can be 'scammed' or even 'claimed'. Think about it, anyone can say they are an 'expert' or even an 'influencer' (I guess influencing 1 or 2 people counts?), and many will believe them and follow b/c it has that in title or under their name. The irony being that many will be read, listened to and followed b/c of it and will end the 'influencer' for good or for bad. I have found that many today seem to have lost their 'common sense' & discernment. Thoughts?
Post 12 • IP   flag post
Never believe what you read in the papers..."newspapers pander to the prejudices of their readers"..a line from "Yes ,Prime Minister" 1980s BBC sitcom....
Post 13 • IP   flag post
Top Contributor Steve private msg quote post Address this user
I cant remember the last real book I bought... everything I buy is now on my kindle... which is now my prized possession... as I tend to buy one or two books each month.
Post 14 • IP   flag post
Teacher Rev private msg quote post Address this user
I'm with @Steve. My Kindle is probably the best technology investment I have ever made in my business and myself.

I currently have over 3200 books on my Kindle waiting to be read. I seem to be adding them faster than I finish them. Of course, at my age, that number represents either extraordinary optimism or extreme arrogance.

As to where I get my recommendations? My friends, of course.

Post 15 • IP   flag post
Member Laurieawe private msg quote post Address this user
If I just want something to read and am not looking for some particular information I like to go to my local library and browse the shelves. I usually end up with a stack of books to go home and read.
Post 16 • IP   flag post
@Rev @Steve

I remember how completely stupid I was for swearing (and I NEVER swear) that I would never read a book on something plastic.

One day for whatever reason that I am too old to remember, I read something on my phone or some other kindle device. I have NOT bought a paper and pages book since... and never will.

Boy was I stupid .... again.
Post 17 • IP   flag post
Live and learn. Don't be so hard on yourself. You will learn until you die. 😊
Post 18 • IP   flag post
@Nebrgenius

You are right... problem is I am getting pretty close to the end ... or not. 8-)
Post 19 • IP   flag post
On the last stretch myself 🙄
Post 20 • IP   flag post
See you at the finish line. I hope you win. 8-)
Post 21 • IP   flag post
Win? Living longer or going to the "otherside" whatever your beliefs are?
Post 22 • IP   flag post
@Nebrgenius

Re: Win. I was intentionally being ambiguous.

For some it's a win-win ... live longer or move on to better.

For others, it's a lose-lose.

For me ... it's a win-win.

You?
Post 23 • IP   flag post
I agree with you 😊 Win-Win 😉
Post 24 • IP   flag post
28724 24 24
destitute