BillBelew.com
BloggingBusiness AdviceFeedbackNewbieWordPress

Fixing error in Wordpress Sydney Theme2107

Sagekreyol private msg quote post Address this user
I've launched a site and migrated to Wordpress Sydney theme. The only issue I have is that the snippet from one of my articles doesn't appear properly and I can't find where the content is sitting on Wordpress.

See the following link and notice how the snippet from teh first article says "This is the post excerpt."
http://perioko.com/blog/

Secondly, any feedback on my site would be greatly appreciated.
Post 1 • IP   flag post
Laurieawe private msg quote post Address this user
I suggest moving your subscribe option to a widget on your right hand column. That way it will always be available to your readers. It would also allow you to reinstate your comments. You have a good start. How frequently do you intend to post? I just signed up for your monthly newsletter. Do you intend to do a newsletter as well as the blog? Would love to hear your strategy.
Post 2 • IP   flag post
Thanks for the feedback. I've added the subscribe widget in a slimmed down version on the right hand side menu. I only ask for email there whereas the red register button on the home page prompts you for full name, company, phone and country.

My original plan was to have a weekly blog and send out a monthly digest. It now seems like I should be writing more frequently to help improve my rankings, but I think it will be a few weeks before I can commit to daily posts worth reading!

Thanks for your feedback and being my first subscriber....scratch that, you're my #1 subscriber!!!!
Post 3 • IP   flag post
Am I subscribed to your blog or just your monthly newsletter? How can I get notified when you make a new post? Since I am committed to growing my audience on Twitter, Instagram and Facebook, I have committed to blogging each Wednesday. This seems doable to me for now. I have also found a platform where I can write my ebook in series. I can make posts there until the whole book is written. It will all be collected in one place and I can start to get feedback on what I am writing.
Post 4 • IP   flag post
Steve private msg quote post Address this user
@Laurieawe how's does blogging each week help you grow your chosen social media following?
Post 5 • IP   flag post
I actually meant that because I am spending so much time growing my audience I don't feel like I can commit to blogging more than once a week at this time.
Post 6 • IP   flag post
Steve private msg quote post Address this user
@Laurieawe if you blog more you'll attract a larger audience...

Look at it like this... your audience want content, this is what they read and watch online... if you don't have enough content your audience will devour other people's content... worse still you'll likely help drive your audience to other people by pushing other people's content at your social media accounts.

With more content you'll eventually break Google Sandbox, and attracts lots more from the search engines... your social media channels will buzz..
Etc.. etc...

It all starts with content... but then what do I know...
Post 7 • IP   flag post
Rev private msg quote post Address this user
@Laurieawe

You can be sure @Steve knows a lot. He is one of the main go-to guys around here when it comes to social media and blogging.

For what it's worth, I'll throw my opinion behind multiple blog posts weekly. You don't have to write multiple days. You can do all your writing on Wednesday -- and it's easier to write three or five or more blogs at once, rather than to write them each on a different day.

Use a good scheduling calendar, write a few blogs, schedule them forward, and you're done for the week. It gives people something to come back for several times per week.
Post 8 • IP   flag post
That's a really good idea. I will implement it. I hadn't thought of it. Thanks for helping me get better at what I want to do.
Post 9 • IP   flag post
@Sagekreyol

It looks like this thread got away from your original question. Let's see if we can fix that for you...

I don't know the theme you are using but it looks like have a default value "This is the post excerpt." into that first post, perhaps left over from the sample post in the initial WordPress installation. If you edited, rather than deleted, the initial sample post that will be the case.

You can force a "snippet" in two ways:

One is to add the <!--more--> tag (in the text editor, use the more button in the visual editor) to the end of the first paragraph or so of text and everything up to that point will become the snippet.

The second is to specify alternative snippet text in the snipped text entry box. This should show somewhere below your post editor but, if not, click the "Screen Options" tab to the upper right (top edge of the screen) of the post editor to open the options box and activate (tick) "Excerpt" to make the snippet entry box active on the post edit screen.

You should then be able to edit that default snipped for the post in question. If not, give me a shout and we'll dig a little deeper.
Post 10 • IP   flag post
@Rev thank for this. Your suggestion to look at Screen Option and activate "Excerpt" was the one thing I didn't know how to do.

For future reference, I'm just explaining everything I had done.

So I initially started this blog on a free wordpress site. You're right, I modified the original post that was included by default.

I then migrated to a paid version. When I migrated from free wordpress to paid wordpress, I then changed that snippet of text within Wordpress Twenty Sixteen.

My next step was to add my second blog post. My final step was to change themes from Twenty Sixteen to Sydney.

I already had a <!--more--> in use.
Post 11 • IP   flag post
@Sagekreyol

It sounds like you are on track. WordPress is a complex system with lots to learn. Feel free to ask me for any help you need. In the mean time you can find some very helpful (and FREE) videos and other tutorials here: http://wizardsplace.com/wizardsplace-programs-courses-tutorials/
Post 12 • IP   flag post
FREE? That's my favorite price point!
Post 13 • IP   flag post
@Laurieawe I didn't answer your question. What you signed up was a monthly digest of my weekly blog. My plan is to write weekly and email monthly. I would need to set up some sort of RSS feed for you to get notified of my posts and I'm not sure how to do that just yet.
Post 14 • IP   flag post
@Sagekreyol

Since you are using WordPress, you already have an RSS feed that others can sign up for. It comes with WordPress by default. You will find it at:

http://yourdomain.com/feed/

Replace "yourdomain.com" with, uh... well, your domain! :o)

You can then give out that address so others can sign up for your
RSS feed. Ain't WordPress just the cat's meow!
Post 15 • IP   flag post
Thanks @rev.

@Laurieawe, there you have it. My feed is available at https://perioko.com/feed/

Any suggestions on the best format to have my RSS feed more prominent on my site?
Post 16 • IP   flag post
@Sagekreyol

Since it's a URL your RSS feed can be displayed just like any other link... text with a bit of HTML:

WizardsPlace RSS Feed
Post 17 • IP   flag post
27513 17 17
destitute