BillBelew.com
WordPress

WordPress will require hosts with SSL2109

Forum Owner Belew private msg quote post Address this user
[url=https://wordpress.org/news/2016/12/moving-toward-ssl/]WordPress will require hosts with SSL.[/url in 2017.

I don't know what that means other than things are going to change.
Post 1 • IP   flag post
Teacher SunilBhaskaran private msg quote post Address this user
Got it. Will be good to have them be clear about what they will be doing.
Post 2 • IP   flag post
Member eddievelez private msg quote post Address this user
They will require that everyone have encryption (a Secure Socket Layer certificate - SSL). So when you go to a website and see a green padlock, they are secure. I've been meaning to do so for my site. I guess I am being pushed.
Post 3 • IP   flag post
Member tienny private msg quote post Address this user
What are the things I need to take note on my computer settings or ISP settings?
Post 4 • IP   flag post
Member Sagekreyol private msg quote post Address this user
@tienny you can buy a SSL certificate from a number of vendors. I bought mine through HostGator when I set my website up. From an SEO perspective, having SSL is good anyways.

The purpose of SSL certificates

Google starts giving SSL sites a ranking boost
Post 5 • IP   flag post
Member Sagekreyol private msg quote post Address this user
@Tienny I just had a look at your wordpress site, and it's already secure. Look for the https rather than http
Post 6 • IP   flag post
Member tienny private msg quote post Address this user
@Sagekreyol Thank you for looking at my wordpress site and your kind explanation. Thanks for the info as well.
Post 7 • IP   flag post
Teacher SunilBhaskaran private msg quote post Address this user
Very useful to our audience here. Thank you!
Post 8 • IP   flag post
Teacher Rev private msg quote post Address this user
It's Google's dream to have everyone on the 'net deploy SSL. Personally, I think that is a foolish concept that serves little purpose.

SSL doesn't make your website more secure (as many think) but rather it simply encrypts data in transit between your site and a recipient making making that data less open to interception during the transit process.

The downside is increased server load and marginally slower delivery.

Using SSL for data that needs to be secure makes sense (what we do now by separating HTTP and HTTPS) but I haven't yet seen the argument for encrypting otherwise publicly viewable information. It's a little like requiring a decryption device before you can read your newspaper or a book from the public library.

For most people it will only prove to be an extra, and unnecessary, cost.

Post 9 • IP   flag post
Top Contributor Steve private msg quote post Address this user
I don't actually think SSL gives any boast to SEO... i know Google talked about it, but I don't think it's happening... and my main site use SSL... with no SEO gains that I can tell
Post 10 • IP   flag post
Member tammysoffices private msg quote post Address this user
Google has been going to this as well, I think I mentioned in another thread. Some charge more for the SSL, there is one that is free, but not sure it works. We all will have to go to this as being forced by Google and Wordpress now. Ugh! Do not like the added expense of it.
Post 11 • IP   flag post
I think I read Google will begin 'penalizing' those without the SSL @Steve is that incorrect? I thought they may be doing it b/c not just if you sell an item, but my site has a 'downloadable' ebook, so perhaps to be more protective of users; as I suppose some odd ones will always try to put a virus or something in their downloadables. That was the reason I thought it was being done, for a protective layer of users on the internet.
Post 12 • IP   flag post
@tammysoffices

Google ia getting out of touch with mainstream readers and the every day blogger.

Make it longer, pay more for hosting .... someone needs to take on Google.
Post 13 • IP   flag post
In time there will be minimum requirements for pages on a site, posts in a category, proof of credibility, which must be purchased, of course. Abd and...
Post 14 • IP   flag post
Teacher Rev private msg quote post Address this user
@Belew

Perhaps it's the frustration (or was that wisdom?) that comes with age but sometime it would be nice if things that actually work were just left as they are. ::sigh::
Post 15 • IP   flag post
@Rev

My dad would call it, "Leave well enough alone."
Post 16 • IP   flag post
AMEN!!! @Rev & @Belew
Post 17 • IP   flag post
28670 17 17
destitute