BillBelew.com
authorsbook marketingbook publishing

The Broken Dreams of Authors2121

Teacher Winsome1 private msg quote post Address this user

The most painful conversations around book publishing are those with authors who have experienced the heartbreak of not having any readers. For me it, it is a trigger back to the time it happened for me. My first book was a flop. I assumed, like most people new to the writing world, that if I wrote a really great book, the readers would find me. I could taste the disappointment when very few people bought my book.

I want to talk about one of my biggest failures. To say that I was naïve about book promotion would be an understatement. I published my first book on a budget. I really didn’t have a promotional plan other than the promo that the publisher sold me. The publisher would get really excited about what they were putting together for me. In turn, I would get really excited. In the end, the excitement was hype and rah-rah. I spent money, and still no readers.

In retrospect, there was a huge realization that my promo purchases were nothing more than an attempt to buy an audience. The big mistake? I didn’t spend time getting to know my audience. The promo purchases gave me a small amount of exposure, but they didn’t give me a long-lasting boost to keep my sales going. Book promo is a lot like losing weight; there are two solutions.

The first solution is a crash diet. That is what buying promotion is like. You will spend money and gain a little instant recognition. It will be like looking at the scale and saying, “Oh, I lost 3 pounds in one day.” But it is all water weight and you will be right back to where you were within a day or two if you stay on the crash diet.

The second solution is a diet and exercise plan. You set goals, plan meals, and set aside an amount of time daily for exercise. You see results over a slower period of time and the results are long-lasting. This is what true audience building is about: Building relationships with your readers over time and allowing them to know you and what you are all about.

When I published my first book, I allowed the publisher to sell me on the crash diet. Why? Because I didn’t know any better. Because I wanted easy. I wanted too believe that the publishing company had my best interest at heart. Who was the big winner? The publishing company. Ten years later, the publisher is still calling me, trying to sell me promotion.

One of my biggest aha moments was when I helped someone else publish their second book.She called me one day, very excited....Hollywood wanted to make her book into a movie! Wow...cool, right? She sold 12 copies of her first book. What are the odds. We git in the phone with her publisher. It turns out that they wanted $20,000 to write a screenplay for her book that maybe someone in Hollywood would want. That didn't sound like the publishing company had HER best interest in mind at all!

The heart break? It’s real for so many authors who jump into the publishing business without a marketing plan or any idea how the publishing world works. How do you avoid heartbreak? Start building your audience and your presence the day you begin your book. Remember the analogy above about daily exercise? Set aside time every day to build your platform and relationships with your readers. It will be the difference between a book that sells and a book that sits on the shelf.

Can you spare a half hour a day to make your dreams come true?
Post 1 • IP   flag post
Member SCDann private msg quote post Address this user
Very sound advice. Time and a lot of patience are essential for any author. If you run too fast up the ladder of success, you're bound to slip and fall. I'm taking each step slowly, allowing time to look down on the lovely view as I climb...I just hope I make it in the end...
Post 2 • IP   flag post
@SCDann I love the last part...I hope I make it to the end. It can be a bit of a journey! Enjoy it.
Post 3 • IP   flag post
Member SCDann private msg quote post Address this user
@Winsome1 Thanks, I really appreciate your kind words
Post 4 • IP   flag post
Teacher SunilBhaskaran private msg quote post Address this user
@Winsome1 Great story and very good advice indeed. Build an audience and create a strong need for people to chase you!!
Post 5 • IP   flag post
Top Contributor Steve private msg quote post Address this user
@Winsome1 how do you suggest authors build their audience and engage with them... so that when they publish this audience is ready, willing and able to purchase.
Post 6 • IP   flag post
Hey Steve- This is a great question. First of all...books are sold on the Internet so...you need to set up the foundations of Internet marketing. You also need to narrow down to a niche audience (preferably before you begin writing) and a message and start feeding that ideal audience good content.

The Internet marketing includes list building. The list build is crucial because Amazon has changed it's rules recently and authors who do not follow the rules will find their reviews deleted. If you want a bestseller, you will need a pre- launch period and be able to use your list to propel your book to number one on the first day.

Those are just the basics! If you are over on FB, come and join Writing and Publishing Tips and Tricks and learn more! https://www.facebook.com/groups/888250627917216/?ref=bookmarks
Post 7 • IP   flag post
Top Contributor Steve private msg quote post Address this user
@Winsome1 so how do you suggest authors start... for example..

1. Work out who your audience is
2. Start a blog
3. Set up opt-in email list..

Etc.. just curious
Post 8 • IP   flag post
@Winsome1 Maybe you have a free webinar or report that you can offer Steve?
Post 9 • IP   flag post
Yes sir! Thanks Sunil. @Steve Here is my Authorpreneur Checklist! https://authorsuccessacademy.leadpages.co/authorpreneur-checklist-to-28-day-challengeb/
Post 10 • IP   flag post
@Winsome1 Great: I signed up for the checklist.
Post 11 • IP   flag post
Member Seniorpreneur private msg quote post Address this user
@Winsome1 How were you motivated to write a second book or more when you found out that your first book was a loser? I had the opportunity to review your internet marketing program and found out that I was trying activities such as blogging, social media and other forms of marketing AFTER I had already written & self-published my first book. Nothing is in sync. now.

Some authors are using their books as a marketing tool only to promote some other project or cause that they are working on? Do you have a book yourself that you give out for free to promote some other venture? It seems like their are too many authorpreneurs today that are trying to sell their own books instead of maybe using them as a marketing tool.
Post 12 • IP   flag post
Teacher Rev private msg quote post Address this user
My first book helped make me known. My subsequent books helped make me money.

@Winsome1, great set of questions but only with reference to the publishing process. Nothing about marketing.

And marketing is the key!
Post 13 • IP   flag post
29607 13 13
destitute