BillBelew.com
Meetups

We are 8x Average Meetup Membership / group2126

Belew private msg quote post Address this user
Toot! Toot!

Sorry abt blowing our own horn.

About a year ago I wrote about Meetup growth in a Thread:

How to Grow Your Meetup Group. <= click

What I didn't realize was how well we @sunilbhaskaran and I are doing until I saw this graphic at MeetupMoneyMakingSecrets.com

Let's do the math - 28.47 million members in 261,744 groups.

That's 108.77 members per group! One guy only partially shows up.

Sunil and I have 28 groups between us with a combined membership of 24,826 members!

That's an average of 886 members EACH! Somebody is doing something right.

Our top 10 groups have an AVERAGE of 1,648 members EACH!

How is it possible that we have an average membership in 10 groups that is 16X the industry average?

Post 1 • IP   flag post
A very pertinent question to ask is, "Do Meetup members convert to real money-in-the-bank business?"

The answer is a hearty, "Yes."
Post 2 • IP   flag post
SunilBhaskaran private msg quote post Address this user
@belew. Preaching to the choir here. Our meetup training program has people already having a wait list on their groups. This plus the google traffic you get from meetup to your site + the low cost of meetups - no brainer. We did a $150,000 marketing launch solely through meetups - no paid ads, no joint ventures, no fb ads, no linked in ads.
Post 3 • IP   flag post
Winsome1 private msg quote post Address this user
Okay...I have to give these guys a raving testimonial! I bought their program and started a meetup 2 weeks ago with their help. As of today, I had 93 signups and my event is almost full!

These guys rock!
Post 4 • IP   flag post
tammysoffices private msg quote post Address this user
Wow - convincing, but what is the cost and how often do they meet? [from a person who has never tried it]
Post 5 • IP   flag post
@tammysoffices

It depends on the MU owner as to cost or offering for free.
Post 6 • IP   flag post
@Winsome1

Ah, shucks....

Post 7 • IP   flag post
@tammysoffices are you meaning cost of the meetup or cost of our program?
Post 8 • IP   flag post
Last year, Dec 31, I guestimated that our MU group membership would reach 25,498 members. Click to see the post. Okay, I know you believe me ... but just in case.

As of today we have 24,867 members ... I am shy by 631 members. But we have just over 2 weeks.

I surprised even myself that I got this close.

I wonder if I should have guessed higher.
Post 9 • IP   flag post
@Belew We are growing on average by 850 members per month. So even with December being a vacation month, we are still seeing that rate.. so hey.. it is possible. + if you include the professional development meetup group, we have about 200 members in that already, so we only need 431 or so more members to make the number!
Post 10 • IP   flag post
Steve private msg quote post Address this user
In my experience meetup membership numbers mean very little... most people that sign up do nothing...

What would be more interesting is to hear how many regularly attend events that you put on...

One of my own meetup groups for example has about 900 members... and meets up twice a month... we attract 20 to 30 people to each event...

What are your figures...
Post 11 • IP   flag post
@Steve: That is a fair question. I am not sure what the facts and practices you had around your meetup etc. and certainly there a number of flakey people in meetup as there is in any other form of marketing almost.

We did a successful marketing launch almost entirely via meetup that got us $150,000 in revenue. I can delve into details and expose the numbers too for you but the thing to understand that most meetup owners may not get yet is that the audience and business that you can generate comes from both the direct audience build as well as the indirect audience build you get from having more meetups that increases your google 'findability' - I have gotten business because people found me online through my meetup rather than through my website. Also there are ways to leverage as you build up joint ventures with other people to build more money and more visibility.
Post 12 • IP   flag post
@Steve

You will be hard pressed to find anybody in the Bay Area with an interest in marketing who doesn't know me...in part because of Meetup.

Ive had ppl fly/drive up and down the coast of California. I have had ppl fly across country and ask me to do the same.

When i was in Shanghai last year i met other MU owners and spoke to their group.

If your end game with MU is the 20-30 ppl who show up 1-2x each month you are not using Meetup to its full potential.

I am just saying .... 8-)
Post 13 • IP   flag post
@SunilBhaskaran "having more meetups that increases your google 'findability" would love to know the source of this...

As to monetary figures... I don't hold much store by those... I was interested in proven engagement (bums on seats) via your meetup groups ... guess I could look at your meetups and see how many attended... that's the beauty of meetups... nothing is hidden.

@Belew I could say the same in Perth... but then I'm giving actual figures ... ... its actual numbers I'm after... or sources for statements such as the above...
Post 14 • IP   flag post
@Steve

What numbers do you want to see?

Do you want access to my Google analytics? Do you want me to show you how many click thrus i have from MU to my site?

Do you want me to open up my bank acct?

Do you want the names of the ppl who said, "Hey I found Bill on Meetup and hired him and paid him $x?"

You show me yours and Ill show you mine.
Post 15 • IP   flag post
@Steve

You are showing me, well you havent shown ne anything yet, how many ppl showed up for a free bfast presentation. How'd that convert for you? Got figures? Got data?

We had a dozen plus ppl sign up for a weekend training then sign up for a yearlong course...all via MU.

I get more business when 3 serious ppl show up than when 20 flakes show up.

Meetup is not the end game but it's a powerful offensive strategy.

I am just saying....
Post 16 • IP   flag post
All I wanted to see was the attendance of your meetup groups... you started this thread boasting about how well you grow your meetup groups... I wanted to see if this translated into actual attendance at your meetup meetings...

Not interested in anything else... apart from this now...

@SunilBhaskaran "having more meetups that increases your google 'findability" would love to know the source of this...

Think I have hit a nerve ... lol
Post 17 • IP   flag post
@Steve...

Because of our size we have been asked to partner with other MU groups.

We have a MU tomorrow with 265 ppl signed up. Be sure to click thru..

Check out this Meetup with Silicon Valley Entrepreneurs & Startups http://meetu.ps/e/CbVm8/1tZVZ/d

And this for just one group.

The proof is in the numbers. And the numbers are there.
Post 18 • IP   flag post
@Belew

You have hit a nerve.

You are trying to make a judgment on the effectiveness of a strategy without any insight into the overall strategy.

Its not abt who showa up on Monday mornng at 7 am. Its abt who says, "Can we meet for lunch and can i hire you"

You are looking at the wrong metric.
Post 19 • IP   flag post
@Belew Attending someone elses meetup group is easy... I could give presentations daily to numerous groups... its your own groups i am interested in... the ones you are growing... can you show me a few of your own and @SunilBhaskaran groups... that show such attendance...

that would shut me up... and make me say... hey what are they doing that others aren't
Post 20 • IP   flag post
@Steve

I am not attending smb else's group.

I have been invited to speak at smb else's group and co-host smb else's group because of our reach.

You seem to be under the impression that i have to satisfy you and you are mistaken.

What matters to me is if i am able to serve others well, and if they can access me when they need to. And i can and they do.

I don't care how many ppl i can put in a room and tall for free while they eat bfast.

My MU strategy works for me.
Post 21 • IP   flag post
@Belew I love asking the hard questions, although asking how meetup signups translate to actual bums on seats at your own events... didn't seem like a hard question to me, rather a logical one.

Guess everyone else reading this can draw there own conclusion... I'm off to play golf
Post 22 • IP   flag post
Check out this Meetup with Bay Area Tech & Startup Networking & Training Events http://meetu.ps/e/CcXJy/1tZVZ/d

Abt 1% of the group has RSVPd to attend tomorrow.

For the large group of 28k members mentioned above .... abt 1% 265 have RSVPd.

I am pretty sure i will go home with more business tomorrow than one might go home with an equally sized twitter acct or ... Bigger.@Steve
Post 23 • IP   flag post
@Steve

I didn't think it was a hard question ...

If 'bums in seats' is your objective then it's a good question.

For me, the strategy is much bigger and deeper than just 'bums in seats.'

Business in hand is the objective for me and that cannot be measured by 'bums in seats.'

Have fun playing.
Post 24 • IP   flag post
@Steve: re: source for meetups. I did give you a response before that you acknowledged a while back. Refer to your previous messages.
Post 25 • IP   flag post
Meetup conversion ...

You might have to enlarge the image to see the numbers better.

Post 26 • IP   flag post
Meetup visits by way of Google organic.

Might have to enlarge again ... this is for just one of @sunilbhaskaran's groups.

Post 27 • IP   flag post
@Bill: Do you have a larger image for that one? Hard to read. Or send me your original so I can try to expand it. Send me via email.
Post 28 • IP   flag post
@SunilBhaskaran

You can control plus your keyboard to see a larger one.
Post 29 • IP   flag post
tammysoffices private msg quote post Address this user
@belew and @Steve - do I need say, 'boys, boys, let's not pull out the big guns...' lol

Very interesting discussion...Sorry to have asked question myself, but still do not think got clear answer to that either.

So...not attacking or trying to 'hit nerve' just curious as to what the cost to join meet up (I know different groups meet at different times), but overall cost? Is there a yearly fee/monthly fee, etc...

Then..and you started to hit on it @belew... is what do these groups do for your bottom line really? Do these groups bring money into your companies? Or are you just meeting for coffee and lunch buddies, discussing all kinds of things, including consulting for free (you know the kind) but nobody signing up and giving you real business?

I am in a networking group right now, that I am just now getting some business (after a year of networking)...have to build that trust I suppose. So hope those questions do not cause a 'ruckus' this time fellows.
Post 30 • IP   flag post
26028 50 30
destitute