BillBelew.com
AnalyticsWordPress

WordFence to prevent hacked login attempts2140

slaqjaw private msg quote post Address this user
I have a new favorite plugin for WordPress. It's WordFence. It keeps me up to date on attacks or actions on my sites. Here's part of the latest that was a bit of an eye opener,
"Top 10 Failed Logins
Username Login Attempts Existing User
admin 41 No"

Someone tried logging in 41 times with "admin" which is not my user name.
Post 1 • IP   flag post
eddievelez private msg quote post Address this user
I've been using it for years. I recommend the PRO version, as you can block the offending/hacking countries yo have no intention of doing business with. Countries like China, Russia, N. Korea, the Czech Republic, Ukraine, Slovakia, etc. These are notorious for hacking attempts.
Post 2 • IP   flag post
Rev private msg quote post Address this user
@slaqjaw

Yep. Wordfence should be everyone's go-to security plugin for WordPress. There are others, some as good, one or two maybe slightly better, but none are as easy nor as capable right out of the box.

You will want to tweak things but even stock it is better than most. The pro version has some nice bonus features but the free version is suitable for most basic sites. Be sure to turn on the added firewall protection.
Post 3 • IP   flag post
eddievelez private msg quote post Address this user
I've used this on all my client's sites along with All-In-One-WP-Security. The only feature I use from All-In-One (as you can have them fight each other), is to add SPAM protection to the comments and to not allow copying and saving from the website. Only that which I choose to make available for download, is what one is allowed to grab. The combination of the two has (by the grace of God) protected my clients with no hacks to date -- since I've started using the combination.
Post 4 • IP   flag post
SunilBhaskaran private msg quote post Address this user
@Belew: your thoughts on WordFence?
Post 5 • IP   flag post
Belew private msg quote post Address this user
I had never heard of Wordfence till this post.

My sites are at a managed Wordpress hosting company. They handle all of my security issues.

For ppl who are not so bright = me, i recommend managed hosting.
Post 6 • IP   flag post
Belew private msg quote post Address this user
I should have used WordFence. Argh!!

Post 7 • IP   flag post
25162 7 7
destitute