BillBelew.com
AnalyticsPaid Search

Google Analytic Acct Setup on Multiple Acts.2141

Member lunar_ranger private msg quote post Address this user
Predicament. Boss wants to tie Google Analytics account tracking id for domain x to another account that he separately set up for an Adwords account with the same domain. Is there any way to do this without losing all the historic data that it has collected? I am assuming that we would have to create a new associated Google Analytics account and put the new tracking id onto the site.

I have managed separate domains managed by a single Google account but I have never managed a single Google Analytics tracking id on 2 separate accounts... and I don't think it's possible.

What are your thoughts group?
Post 1 • IP   flag post
Member eddievelez private msg quote post Address this user
It's not. Each domain has it's own unique tracking ID and it's not interchangeable. Besides, if you have two domains, you don't want them getting tracked on one account, if it were possible. How would you know what's working and what's not.

The ideal situation is to track each separately, so that you know which is more effective. The poor performer gets eventually cancelled. You don't want to be competing against yourself. This only makes sense for A/B testing and or to track different methods.

For example, if you were running a radio, TV, print, social media and ad words campaigns,you would want to use a separate domain for each (.com, .net, .us, .biz, etc.). This way, you can see where your money is being effective and not. Once you see what's working, you move the money from the ineffective venue over to the effective one for a better ROI. Makes sense?

I hope this helps!

Eddie
Post 2 • IP   flag post
Member lunar_ranger private msg quote post Address this user
Multiple different domains (with different tracking id's) being tracked on one associated Google account... Uggghhh. Too bad I can't export the historic data from the old account, set up the new account, put the new tracking in and import all the data. Wishful thinking.
Post 3 • IP   flag post
Teacher Rev private msg quote post Address this user
@lunar_ranger

Could you look at it from the opposite direction... Set up Ad-words on your Analytics-enabled account. Give boss access. Let him run his Ad-words from there and see Analytics in place. What you would lose from old Ad-words account might not be as important as losing the analytics.
Post 4 • IP   flag post
Member LizG private msg quote post Address this user
I am so confused. AdWords has GCLID tracking built in, it doesn't need its own separate Analytics tracking. Just connect it to whichever views you want to see AdWords data and voila - it will all work in one place.

You could track both domains with 1 Account and 2 properties. You could even do cross domain tracking if you really wanted to (do not recommend): https://support.google.com/analytics/answer/1034342?hl=en

I would just enable AdWords tracking in the account with the analytics data you want to keep, go into the AdWords account, and export the account history in case you need it.
Post 5 • IP   flag post
28220 5 5
destitute