BillBelew.com
Belew SpeaksBusiness Advice

#1 Reason You're Not Getting Your $ Worth2153

Belew private msg quote post Address this user
There's a good reason why most people don't get their money's worth.

It's because they don't follow through on what they have invested in.

When was the last time you bought a piece of gym equipment them stopped using it?

Or purchased a course and didn't complete it?

Are you the kind of person with good intentions or good follow through?

Guess which type claims to usually getting their money's worth and more.
Post 1 • IP   flag post
eddievelez private msg quote post Address this user
The number one reason is that you don't believe you deserve it or are worth it. Many people undersell themselves, because they fear the hard work it takes to succeed and/or whether they can deliver at a high level.

When an opportunity arises, they start rationalizing in their mind what they should charge, looking for every excuse to justify less, because they are afraid to ask for the money. The other senses it and pushes and they cave.

If you don't believe you're worth X amount for what you do, it's like the scent of fear to a wolf, and he or she will eat you.
Post 2 • IP   flag post
@eddievelez

Mine is the customer, yours is the provider. No?
Post 3 • IP   flag post
No, customers or clients. Better said, prospects. Whoever pays you for your services.
Post 4 • IP   flag post
bdaoust private msg quote post Address this user
It has been proven when you pay a small amount for a service, you respect it less. The more you pay, the more you will follow through. If you charge too little, then the customer is not likely to take it so seriously.

Proof, I get a lot of free kindle books and most often do not even open them, I have the intention of opening and reading them but it never really seems to happen. On the other hand the more I pay for a book, the more likely it is I will read it.

Just to add to this, the advice I get from the books is also taken more seriously if I shell out the dollars than if it is just another free book.
Post 5 • IP   flag post
@bdaoust

Have you ever thought something was inherently better just because it was more expensive?

The other day I was shopping for something I didn't know much about. I decided to buy the more expensive one thinking to myself, "It's gotta be better because it costs so much more."

Maybe I was just taken.
Post 6 • IP   flag post
bdaoust private msg quote post Address this user
@Belew It happens all the time - isn't this why we buy brands rather than the same product with a no brand label? They could be the same manufacturer - all the mind for sure.
Post 7 • IP   flag post
Rev private msg quote post Address this user
The same applies to larger and/or bulk sizes at grocery stores and elsewhere. A dozen and a half eggs isn't necessarily cheaper (per egg) than a dozen. A large jar of peanut butter isn't necessarily cheaper (per ounce) than the smaller jar. Check the per unit price typically posted in smaller print on the shelf tag. Though we are educated to think large/bulk is cheaper, it isn't always true.
Post 8 • IP   flag post
@Rev

I think I most always look at the unit price. And when they don't have it, I do the math myself.

But, to be honest, by now I pretty know much what I want and head for that regardless of the price.
Post 9 • IP   flag post
Seniorpreneur private msg quote post Address this user
@Belew One of the biggest value culprits is found in the real estate courses area. It all starts out with free seminars. Then it progresses to $999 study courses. Finally, it ends up with the full enchilada $20,000-30.000 weekend getaway to listen to experts in the real estate field. So, based on this info is the most expensive course here the best value? Think again!

The Donald Trump sponsored a free seminar session in my own hometown which I attended. After the seminar participants were offered to study real estate at Trump University with the full tuition costing 1,000's of dollars. Many people believed Trump was THE expert in real estate investments. To make a long story short the Trump University was charged with fraud. I believe there was an outside settlement done in this case. The new President elect didn't want to have this issue carried forward when accepting his new role as the USA President.

About unit price comparison of products you can always get a better unit price if you buy a higher quantity, where the best rate obtained is buying a full case or even a full pallet. The KEY is finding out what your consumption rate is. Spoilage is a big issue to consider when making any purchasing decisions.
Post 10 • IP   flag post
@Seniorpreneur

Isn't it good,er, usual, um, bad form to get ppl in the door by offering them a price that is palatable ... then gradually upsell them until there's no turning back?

All that being said ... the original intent is that most ppl would get their money back out of their investment IF they just followed thru. No?
Post 11 • IP   flag post
Where is the line between up-sell and bait-and-switch?
Post 12 • IP   flag post
up-sell is when you deliver what was promised.

bait-and-switch is when you give something that was not promised.
Post 13 • IP   flag post
An up-sell is when you can deliver what you promised, but have options to enhance the offering.

A bait-and-switch is when your initial offering was designed to draw them in, but you then try to convince them that the initial offering isn't enough; if they want it to be effective, they need to add-on or choose option "b". You never really intended to sell the initial offering.
Post 14 • IP   flag post
SusanDay private msg quote post Address this user
I think consumers are getting more savvy. They are looking for quality at an affordable price. In Australia it is law that supermarkets have to have each item priced twice. One is the total price, and the other is per 100 gram. Aldi, the German giant, pushed for it. Certainly makes discovering the 'real' price for any item easy. Of course, if we could apply that to service based businesses we'd be in a better place to start with.
Post 15 • IP   flag post
That's unrealistic. How do you price someone who has 20+ years experience, knows tactics and strategies others may or may not know, and spent the time, money and energy to become the best at what he or she does, versus someone who is new? Experience is the differentiator to success. That little nugget or secret sauce can make the difference.

When someone hires a professional for a service, they are not hiring him or her for what they do; they are hiring them for how they think and what they know. If what they bring to the table is valuable, it costs more. So the same formula applied to intellectual services would not work.
Post 16 • IP   flag post
@eddievelez

Better answer than mine.
Post 17 • IP   flag post
@Belew Just elaborated!
Post 18 • IP   flag post
@Belew i guess that $500-999.is palatable for some people but not for most especially when you find out later that to be in the real game you'll need to shell out thousands more dollars. Most of the real estate seminars follow the 'Trump University' business model. The goal is to extract as much money from the unsuspecting clients as they can get away with, even if it means maxing out their own credit cards.

Can you get your money back? In most cases it's probably like the Trump University situation. You will need to go to court and take legal action as an individual or as part of a group.
Post 19 • IP   flag post
@Seniorpreneur

My uneducated guess is that in order to make $X you need to be willing to shell out $1/10 before getting traction.

Example: If you want to make $200K...you will need to pony up $20k to get startes in thst direction.

Is your experience different?
Post 20 • IP   flag post
@Belew Yes, $20K in seed money is probably about right to make $200K. Unfortunately, Trump and all the other real estate education hucksters aren't offering an actual piece of real estate as an investment. They are only offering their questionable real estate courses. For a $20K investment I would expect to get shares in at least two different real estate properties @ $10K investment for each property.
Post 21 • IP   flag post
The universities take $100K and up from students to teach them how to make money later.

What's the difference?
Post 22 • IP   flag post
@Belew My guess is that traditional Universities have real teachers or real professors whereas; The 'Trump University' types have high pressure sales people. But yes, education these days is very expensive probably because of the 80% or more user pay policies. Personally, I paid only $400.00 per year to get my higher education.
Post 23 • IP   flag post
@eddievalez

"...they are hiring them for how they think and what they know."

Isn't that exactly the "per 100gms" @SusanDay was referring to? Only with a professional service it can't be measured in grams, the the "think and know" evaluation you stated.
Post 24 • IP   flag post
stevew407 private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Belew
up-sell is when you deliver what was promised.

bait-and-switch is when you give something that was not promised.

How do you state that? You advertised it and should sell it. Many people are gullible and can be upsold or bait and switched? Maybe you just have a different level of honesty or transparency or ??? Words are important obviously. But if you are selling a dozen eggs for $1. As part of this thread goes, then can you bout that into another statement or clarification or analogy? There is some good info here, but your penny a page is interesting too.........numbers and returns - What abut the people that are easily fooled by 50% OFF. If it really is worth $1 and you say one dozen eggs REGULARLY $2 now $1 50% off .........how would you describe that? Is it up-sell or bait and switch or just uneducated consumers and are we talking commodities and EQUALS as brand name and cost was in the thread too........simple and complicated. Can you simplify for me so that I give you $20 versus free or a penny a page? I did like one post about a guy that was never satisfied and how you explained that one too.....as he wanted more.......I'll close here as this is too long and other chores or distractions to attend too.
Post 25 • IP   flag post

Is Your Public Hearing What You Are Saying?

“What if you said to your daughter, ‘What is wrong with you?’ when you meant to say, ‘What is troubling you?’ – WOW! That’s too big a mistake to make!”
Jim Rohn

Communication is crucial for anything to succeed. Try to build a loving marriage, raise a child, build a business or climb the corporate ladder without it – you are doomed to fail. Yet many people don’t stop to think if they’re communicating their message effectively or with clarity, and then wonder why disaster happens. Ask yourself, is your public hearing what you are saying?

Life mimics life. Our personal lives touch our professional ones, not to think so is naïve. So, let’s look at this from a personal level first.

Let’s say you found the woman or man of your dreams and want to strike up a relationship. How you project your message—your emotions, desires and dreams—will determine whether the other party will be interested. You are selling yourself and the price is the heart of the other.

Packaging (How You Present Yourself)

If when you speak, your facial expressions, wardrobe and posture don’t support your words, which do you think he or she will hear? Will the sad face, bored tone and slumping stance win over the words, “I love you?” ABSOLUTELY! The packaging didn’t support your communication and sabotaged it!

Messaging (The Words You Use)

Now let’s take it one step further. What if you came dressed to impress, with flowers, champagne, smelling good and bearing chocolate? However, you were a klutz with your words. You mumbled, tripped over your words because you were nervous, and it didn’t come out as you had rehearsed. Do you think he or she would get the impression you are trying really hard to make this special, because you care? OFF COURSE! So, you get a second chance to say what you want to say. Don’t Blow It!

Packaging and Messaging" Putting It All Together

Even one more step further. Now, what if you got it all right: your messaging was on target, your packaging had impact and your delivery was masterful? Do you think you would make the sale of your life? NO DOUBT!

Your business branding and marketing works the same way. If your audience is not hearing what you’re saying, they won’t engage.

Your Messaging: What Is It Saying?

When you communicate with your public, you must make sure they receive the message you want heard. A great example is Neal Martineau and Pepsodent.

Once again, Neal, teaching me lessons with stories, shared this debacle from an Ogilvy campaign for Pepsodent many decades ago. Neal shared:

“Eddie, I once had to create a campaign for a new Pepsodent toothpaste, which claimed it cleaned below the gum line. The toothpaste, when used, would seep below the gums and disinfect the area, promoting healthier dental hygiene. So, I had a large tooth with gums and a huge toothbrush created for the set. In the commercial, the announcer would pull the gums away and brush the roots, illustrating the cleansing action. I thought it was brilliant! The public thought it was painful. You see, what they heard was not that the toothpaste gently cleaned below the gums; they heard and envisioned the toothbrush brushing the roots – and they thought it would hurt. The campaign flopped. Remember, you must make sure the audience hears exactly what you want to say!”

Remember, perception is reality and you are building your marketing for your audience, not for you. Too many businesses take ownership; hence they are biased to their work. They are too close to see the forest. Sometimes you need to step back and take in the entire picture. You do this by test marketing and asking for another professional’s opinion. What do you see, hear and perceive? What is it telling you? And if what they say doesn’t please you, don’t be offended; be wise before you waste time and money.

Your Business Packaging (Branding): How Are You Perceived?

While the message is the most important, to the public, it’s your packaging and branding. If a book is great, but the cover stinks, how many sales might you lose? If your product or service is the best, but your logo, website, brochure, social-media presence look amateurish and/or just thrown together, will they bother to read the content? Most likely not!

Do You Know How Much Business You’re Losing?

If you’re not getting the ROI (return on investment) you expected from your marketing, maybe it’s not showing or saying what you assume it is. Get a consultation from a professional and see where it may be lacking. Ask a good-sized group of people (professionals, possible customers, business owners, laborers, teens, men, women, young and seasoned individuals, etc.) to look at it and answer three questions:

1. Do you like it and why?
2. What do you think it’s saying?
3. If you needed the product or service, or were looking for a book, would you buy?

Then listen. Whatever weaknesses are repeated the most need to be corrected. You can’t please everyone, so don’t try. But do listen to whomever is your demographic and try to find the happy medium where you address the most concerns.

What Does This Mean for You?

Marketing is part science and part art. The science part is easy, because if you can measure it, you can fix it. However, the art part requires a different kind of thinking. This is the people part and people are finnicky. It’s where you pull the heart string, persuade and create brand evangelists.

Don’t skimp on this part. There’s no software that can tell you HOW to create an effective message for your demographic; software can only tell you if it’s working or not. You’re not marketing to robots. Don’t forget you are human too.
Post 26 • IP   flag post
26778 26 26
destitute