BillBelew.com
Brainstorming

Are you an idea generator or polisher?2179

Forum Owner Belew private msg quote post Address this user
Some ppl are really good at coming up with ideas.

Some can't, but they can polish an idea and make it better.

Which are you?
Post 1 • IP   flag post
Member eddievelez private msg quote post Address this user
It's hard to answer this, as it's self-serving. But I can do both.
Post 2 • IP   flag post
@eddievelez

If you can do it it's not bragging.

Which are you better at?
Post 3 • IP   flag post
Polishing ideas.
Post 4 • IP   flag post
Member bdaoust private msg quote post Address this user
Coming up with ideas - then see what works
Post 5 • IP   flag post
Member ChuckNolan private msg quote post Address this user
As a leader, I work with teams to attain goals, helping people to put wings on to their dreams. Most engineering is finding how similar problems have been solved, rather than creating completely new solutions.

For example while Google may have created some new software tools for indexing online content, they monetized this slight improvement by using the tradition newspaper media advertising model. Today, search results are cluttered with content that is designed more to produce advertising revenue than to provide useful information.
Post 6 • IP   flag post
Member Clydeart private msg quote post Address this user
As a creative type I am always a generator. That said, in order to perfect my creations, I move on to "polishing". On the works of my hands I spend the effort necessary to put just the right finish on a work. On projects where teamwork is involved I build consensus and work to build the skill levels of the team members so that the final product is functional, aesthetic and finely and brilliantly "polished". This was particularly important in my career as an architect. It takes a team to get a building built right.
Post 7 • IP   flag post
Member truewords private msg quote post Address this user
I'm both I work with groups as a developer and a leader stay with the project during the whole duration. How's work and everything from that development of the curly fry,to working with NASA's team of engineers, app development and Design and have some the highest FBI clearance that there is. For me it has always been both idea, polishing and the delivery of everything I have been lucky enough to work on or be involved with. Not trying to brag about it just keeping to the facts.
Post 8 • IP   flag post
@truewords

But which do you like more?

Or do you feel you are best at?
Post 9 • IP   flag post
Member tienny private msg quote post Address this user
😅 I can polish others' ideas. But when I generate ideas, I need help to polish it. Recently, I pass my idea to my friend to polish it further.

Now, I'm taking a night class learning how to polish pictures better.
Post 10 • IP   flag post
Sometimes an idea I have needs to be polished several times before it is ready for "prime time". Art in any form is a culmination of the artist's ideas and experiments over time. Revisiting a theme over and over results in polishing the concept. That said - it is possible to polish the idea to the point where the earlier works are the better ones. Learning to stop at the right time is part of the artist's development process and progress. Right now I am heading over to my Etsy site too "polish" some to the sales pitches and keywords to see if that generates buzz, or better, sales.
Post 11 • IP   flag post
The issue, as I see it with art is that what we liked yesterday we may not like the same today NOT because yesterday was not as good as today but because our mood has changed.

It's near impossible to be objective with our own stuff because our moods, and thus how we see our stuff changes.
Post 12 • IP   flag post
Art needs two artists: one to do the work and another to tell him or her when to stop.
Post 13 • IP   flag post
@eddievelez

The voice of experience you have.

My son ... the pianist ... I had to tell him when to back off or he would never think smth was done.
Post 14 • IP   flag post
@belew - Your comment about how we see our work as an artist resonates with me. I often hear similar comments from other artists and artisans.

@eddievelez - I like your thought. Often the "when to stop" comes from my wife - God's gift to me.
The "Stop" has sometimes come from fellow artists and from comments received from friends observing my work. Once it was a stranger who observed me plein aire painting who passed by when I was in the middle of it and then later as they passed by again and said "I think you overworked it" She came back in a few minutes with husband and they bought it!
Post 15 • IP   flag post
@Clydeart

I've ruined artwork in the past (I used to paint and draw, but mostly do commercial art today), because I kept thinking it needed more. That's when another artist told me what I shared. This was during my art-school days at Art & Design in NYC.

Since then, I've come to ask my wife, a fellow creative and fabulous artist (no bias here), and she often tells me when I'm over thinking it.

Thanks for sharing Clyde!
Post 16 • IP   flag post
Member tienny private msg quote post Address this user
@eddievelez I agree with you that art needs two artists. Personally, I feel is the generator and polisher.
Post 17 • IP   flag post
28693 17 17
destitute