BillBelew.com
BrainstormingBusiness AdviceCareer AdviceSEOSEO Advice

HTML coding and SEO proficiency2200

CoolHandLuke private msg quote post Address this user
Is learning HTML coding essential to building SEO proficiency? I'm in college, and I know that SEO skills are very valuable, but only if those skills are paired with the ability to code. Am I wrong here? Are there steps I could take to learn HTML coding? Do most businesses have separate SEO managers and coding managers?
Post 1 • IP   flag post
Belew private msg quote post Address this user
@CoolHandLuke

You don't need to know how to code.

I don't know how to code.

And I do pretty well with SEO.

What is it you want to do for your clients? in the future?
Post 2 • IP   flag post
I'd like to be able to go to a mid-sized business and help transition out of traditional marketing, and more into online-content marketing. I'm looking for capability to make that content seen. Probably incorporating blogging campaigns, better home-site landing optimization. Things of that nature. Trying to learn as much as I can to bring something valuable to my next job.
Post 3 • IP   flag post
@CoolHandLuke

Where are you located physically?

We have local Meetups where we talk about those things.

I'd also like to recommend you consider upgrading to Student Level here in the forum.

Those questions require going deep and there are ppl in the classroom that can help you out now. Just ask.

Or we can attack it one question at a time here. Where would you like to start?
Post 4 • IP   flag post
TParker private msg quote post Address this user
If you want to do technical SEO, then I recommend understanding a little html.

That being said, like Bill, I do SEO for my clients without getting into the programming side. I usually upload their blog entries and incorporate SEO practices when doing so. You'll want to take a look at on-page and off-page SEO and then decide which services you can offer.
T.
Post 5 • IP   flag post
I'm located in Manhattan, KS (grew up in Wichita). Doubt there is much ground game here. Thanks for the advice.
Post 6 • IP   flag post
@CoolHandLuke

@Rev ... he's near you!

Or closer to you than I am.
Post 7 • IP   flag post
Rev private msg quote post Address this user
@CoolHandLuke

I make my entire living online from this keyboard -- for a little over 25 years now. The last 16 of that have been from Hutchinson, KS. Of course, you're looking to do it with a paycheck so you'll likely want one of the bigger centers, but even here in Hutch there are companies looking to extend their reach online.

I do it as an online teacher, coach, and consultant, so I can pretty much live and travel anywhere I choose.

Bill and I practice SEO a little differently. I incorporate most of what he suggests and then I take it "techie" a little bit farther.

I'll be teaching what I do in the classroom. Watch for my "Pitch Fest" offers on Friday -- they should be right up your alley. You may want to take Bill up on the classroom thing. I betcha we can teach you more -- more that's useful -- than K State!

Contact me privately through forum mail if you like.

Oh, and don't eat too many hard boiled eggs! :o)
Post 8 • IP   flag post
@CoolHandLuke @Rev

If i knew what @Rev knew I'd do a bit more techie, too.

Listen to him.
Post 9 • IP   flag post
I'll have to check into it for sure. I've learned college teaches you ABOUT things, but doesn't teach you HOW TO do things. Wish there were more apprenticeships in this generation. At least we have the internet!
Post 10 • IP   flag post
@CoolHandLuke

We have an apprenticeship program here in the forum.

For a very modes $19/month ... you can become a student and go much more deeply with @Rev and Me and others who are experienced in their specialties.

Start now. <= Click

Nowhere can you learn so much from so qualified a bunch for so little and get so good results.
Post 11 • IP   flag post
That sounds great. I'm contributing to some savings goals right now, but I'll stay updated once I have the money to invest in the education (Just bought a bunch of school books today. eccchhh!).

Thanks for you help.
Post 12 • IP   flag post
@CoolHandLuke

No worries ... do what you gotta do when you have the means.

Let us know how we can help you out.
Post 13 • IP   flag post
Steve private msg quote post Address this user
@CoolHandLuke have a listen to this podcast... it's not by me, although it's based on my stuff... Click Here

additionally you don't need to learn HTML however you do need to learn SEO as it relates to setting up a website, and running it... I estimate that 80-90% are setup and run incorrectly.
Post 14 • IP   flag post
LizG private msg quote post Address this user
This is a loaded question.

Some aspects of coding can be very useful, depending on what industry you go into. Really it's having a wide range of skills that's most important.

JSON is the structured data most often used to generate SERPs with lists, cards, flights, movie times, product prices or sales, anything like that. Having knowledge in that area could be a career of its own.

You can check out MOZ's essential training guide for SEO's and learn most of that on your own: https://moz.com/blog/junior-seo-task-list

I think building your own website from scratch without a CMS or your own search engine is a tad excessive. I did project 1, skipped project 2, project 3 is my job so skipped that, and parsed through project 4 abd 5 because it was too hard (the Excel macros and some of the functions). The Google Analytics portion is important for any marketer.

Really I feel for technical SEO, you should be able to run a Screaming Frog report and know how to fix the issues (or know how to delegate it).
Post 15 • IP   flag post
26896 15 15
destitute