BillBelew.com
Email Marketing

What Kind of Email Title Performs Best- TEST2202

Forum Owner Belew private msg quote post Address this user
(2 mins) - My 1st official email out to the forum.

----

For the past 10 years I have been paying $50-80/month for an email service or some such animal to be ready for me to use.

The problem was, I never used the service ... or very seldom ever did. Pretty stupid of me. $50 x 12 months x 10 years = $6,000 worth of stupid.

I Can Be Really Stupid

I don't know how many times I persuaded myself that I would get started ... and didn't. I not only can be stupid, I can be really stupid.

I would think, strategize, formulate all sorts of plans ... and do nothing ... but send out $50+ or more EACH month.

Sooner or later I had to start. Truth is, even I can swallow only so much of my own stupidity. And my wife will only tolerate so much as well.

My Biggest Problem

Overthinking, failure to launch, paralysis of analysis, call it what you want. The result was I did nothing. And I had nothing to show for the nothing I did except money out and nothing in.

No more.

Welcome to my first of, I plan, an ongoing email campaign ... of stuff worth reading.

Question: What will I write about?

Another question: Honestly?

Real answer: I don't know. But I'll figure that out as I go along. I am going to stop thinking about using email and start emailing. Feel free to opt out any time you think I am wasting your time. You'll only hurt my feelings a little. Well, maybe more than a little.

Are You Like Me?

Here's what I know - there are a LOT of people just like me, at least sometimes, who drag their feet for any number of reasons = excuses, with the end result, they don't do anything. And are surprised because nothing happens.

Repeat after me: No more.

3 Kinds of People

In the forum, there are 3 kinds of people - Learners, Teachers and a whole bunch of folk who don't know what they are.

Learners go here and read 6 real benefits to upgrading to student - I guarantee you will not find another place where you can learn so much from people so qualified to teach you for so little. No, it's not free. Nothing worthwhile is.

Teachers go here to read 10 real benefits to upgrade to Teacher - You think you have something people want to know? Prove it. I have passed on a number of jobs to one of the teachers in the private classroom just this past week. If you can't find students in the forum then you need to rethink what you are offering.

Get Off the Pot

If you don't know which one you are, decide dang it! Stop piddling around. Get off the fence. I'd tell you what my dad used to say but he had a different vocabulary than I do. It ended with ... get off the pot!

Click on the link below to get started writing.
199+ Ideas to Start Writing about on Your Blog

Click on the link below to read about one of the best and most generous teachers you'll ever find.

5 Must Know Things about Our Forum Member @Rev

Click on something. Do something. Stop spinning. Get started.

Do it now.
Post 1 IP   flag post
Test your email title acumen ...

This thread is the first email I sent out to the forum. Though I am not generally very smart, sometimes I am.

I split the email list in to 3 groups and created 3 different titles.

The size of the email list is big enough that I could A B C test.

Here are the 3 titles. Which do you think performed the best?

A. Which one are you? A learner or a teacher?

B. Uh oh! My wife would have not more of it. So I …

C. I wasted $6,000. I am changing that starting now.
Post 2 IP   flag post
This is actually fun to watch.

30 mins ago one title was clearly ahead.

20 mins ago a different title was ahead.

10 mins ago yet a different title was ahead.

Each of the 3 led at one time.

Now, 2 of them are tied.

Which is going to win?
Post 3 IP   flag post
One title is clearly pulling away ... for now.
Post 4 IP   flag post
We are still in day one ... abt 6 hours.

One title is clearly doing better than the other 2 at this point.
Post 5 IP   flag post
I didn't see it coming.

One title was so far ahead of the other 2 - more than 1% yesterday,

This morning when I checked in, a different title was not a 1% of the one that lead yesterday.

Shows to go you I don't know what I am doing ... usually.
Post 6 IP   flag post
One title clearly outperformed the others ... 2.3% better than the worse.

Had I used the winning title for ALL the emails I would have gotten 50 more opens than I did.

Hmm ... pays to test.

Learn which one won - Best Email Title Test #1
Post 7 IP   flag post
Teacher Rev private msg quote post Address this user
As you know, @Belew, I always question statistical analysis. Here I would have to say to the "50 more opens" ...Would you? Or would you just get the same number adding the three tests together... those who opened in each would open regardless of which title... I know, people who count on numbers (no pun), rely on them, but I feel we sometime read too much into them. We find (or assign) order where there is none, assert relationships that aren't there, and offer proofs that really aren't questions in the first place. While your assertion is by the book, I suspect I must have read a different book! :o)
Post 8 IP   flag post
@Rev

Spot on! Smth abt Mark Twain and there being 2 kinds of statistics.

I am just going 'by the book.'

And this is just one test.

I will also learn that titles sent to a 'ready' audience are different than blog titles focusing on SEO.

I want to play with this ... and see what I can come up with.

I will send my 'best' title to the list that performed the weakest this go around ... and see what happens.

Thanks for weighing in.
Post 9 IP   flag post
@Rev

A perhaps another more worthy question is which of the titles got the most clicks thrus to another destination AFTER being opened?

Was the reader satisfied enough with the subj line and content to actually read and go see 'what else?'

I know the answer to that question as well.
Post 10 IP   flag post
Teacher Rev private msg quote post Address this user
Also to consider is the back channel response. You are counting opens, but some mail services don't report opens and most email clients allow the user to select whether or not to report opens and other functions. It's a privacy thing. So your results are probably (most certainly) skewed from the real numbers in that not all opens will be reported. Can we assume that this failure to report statistically matches the other relevant factors in the sample? Maybe...
Post 11 IP   flag post
2nd email A, B, C test ...

I sent out an email ... some of you have seen it already. If not the email, the content is posted in this thread abt:

3 Stupid Questions I Got Asked this Week.

Here are the 3 titles I used this week:

3 Stupid Questions I Got Asked this Week

Which of these 3 Stupid Questions Have You Asked?

Seriously? You are asking me to what? And for what? By when?

Care you to take a shot of which one performs the best?
Post 12 IP   flag post
Wow... just checked in.

One title is a full 2.2% - 2.4% ahead of the other two.

Who'd a thunk?
Post 13 IP   flag post
One title is now 3.2% ahead...

Maybe I am learning something.
Post 14 IP   flag post
Top Contributor Steve private msg quote post Address this user
@Belew unless you've got a list totalling tens of thousands your audience size isn't large enough to give an meaningful CRO results.

And you'd do better to measure end goal results rather than opens.
Post 15 IP   flag post
I can't do business if i cant get the thing opened.

And small guys like me have to play with my 3000 ppl email list.

I don't have the luxury of a 30,000 ppl list. Do you?
Post 16 IP   flag post
Top Contributor Steve private msg quote post Address this user
I'd rather have one hundred people complete my end goal... such as purchase something... rather than having 500 people open my message and do nothing.

Wouldn't you?

@Belew bet you've missed this... lol
Post 17 IP   flag post
@Steve

Glad to have the banter.

Welcome back.
Post 18 IP   flag post
Ill never get 100 sales if i cant get 500 opens or more like 5000 opens.

As for me, i am sharing my experience with other ppl like me.

What can be done and what can be learned from someone my size?

If the answer is add a zero to my email list aize...that's not relevant right now.
Post 19 IP   flag post
30364 19 19
destitute