BillBelew.com
authorsbook marketingbook publishing

Are You A Thought Leader Or An Expert?2220

Teacher Winsome1 private msg quote post Address this user

The experts are everywhere. Who hasn’t attended a workshop where the main point is ways to position yourself as an expert. Personally, I am bored by this old pitch. Everybody is an expert. The experts are not really the people I want to hear from. I want to hear and engage with thought.
What makes a thought leader someone we all want to reach out and embrace?

1.Content- How much content a person has produced. Whether they are using blogs, podcasts, or social media a real thought leader is always sharing, educating, and engaging their community.
2.Audience engagement and accessibility- Real thought leaders contribute to the conversation. They provide education but also listen and converse with their audience about what the audience needs are. It is not all about the commentator. The commentator is accessible to his audience.

A couple weeks ago, a strategy session with a potential client uncovered some of the reasons that more of us aren’t thought leaders. Her goal was to become a public speaker but her Facebook page no longer said “author”. She changed it to “public figure”. Public figure is an intimidating moniker. She has zero engagement on her page and posted memes and quotes. Here is the deal, the work has to be original. No one will view you as a leader if you aren’t producing your own information. How can you do that?
1.Social media engagement and community building daily.
2.Creating a blog and articles or lessons for your website.
3.Joining related online groups and building relationships.
4.Getting published. This can be in the form of writing your own book or being published by trade publications.
5.Producing content on a consistent basis.
6.Relationship building on a regular schedule.

Being a thought leader takes work. If you want to be a leader, you have to be willing to step up and do the work.
Post 1 • IP   flag post
Teacher Rev private msg quote post Address this user
A good friend and mentor was often heard to say, "Expert, huh? An "ex" is a has-been and a "spurt" is a drip under pressure!"

A little snarky, perhaps, but I think he felt exactly as you do, @Winsome1. He certainly helped guide me to a place of understanding and giving.
Post 2 • IP   flag post
@Rev I love that! :-)
Post 3 • IP   flag post
Member Seniorpreneur private msg quote post Address this user
@Winsome1 Everybody has the potential to become a thought leader or an expert. I notice that many people are afraid to give their own opinion or thoughts because they will be criticized for having the right or wrong thought. Discussions on the internet say about 3-5 years ago use to be open & free. Today many discussion groups have moderators that delete certain thoughts. In fact,where new & old thoughts use to flourish eg. Encore.org there is nobody that wants to comment on any post that is submitted.
Post 4 • IP   flag post
Teacher Rev private msg quote post Address this user
@Seniorpreneur

Tin-pot dictators are tin-pot dictators whether they run a country or a facebook group. The key is to live in a country with an enlightened leader and frequent discussion groups and forums of the same ilk. There are a few good ones around, like this one, for example.
Post 5 • IP   flag post
Member philipwatling private msg quote post Address this user
I had a massive head injury in 1994 after being hit by a car. I met many experts in three hospitals; consultants and doctors who were leaders in their field... When it comes to head injuries they know nothing. The only expert regarding me and my head injury is me!
Post 6 • IP   flag post
Top Contributor Steve private msg quote post Address this user
@Winsome1 Do you find posting your blog articles on websites such as this helps?

Does it hinder SEO due to duplicate content?

Curious ...
Post 7 • IP   flag post
Duplicate content? Not sure what you mean. What I post here is different from my weekly blog.
Post 8 • IP   flag post
@seniorpreneur You have to moderate these days. Many people confuse engagement with spamming because they haven't been properly educated on how to use social media. I have that problem in my own FB community. People with related business come in to try promote their own books and services without any thought to maybe building a relationship with the person who runs the group and asking permission. I think @belew will agree with this...running a forum like this or a FB community is hard work. There are too many people out their who want to promote themselves on the backs of other people's platforms because it is easier than starting their own gig.

Here is a great example: I coach for a group called the Joint Venture Inner Circle. On our FB group, every Tuesday, the moderator asks, "What community do you serve?" We are always a little frustrated because people start spamming their program links instead of just answering...what community do your serve. We are actually asking the questions so people in similar industries can build relationships and they don't get it. They just want to promote themselves.
Post 9 • IP   flag post
Forum Owner Belew private msg quote post Address this user
@Winsome1

Definitely agree that common sense is not common in forum behavior or group behavior.
Post 10 • IP   flag post
Member philipwatling private msg quote post Address this user
Which community do I serve? My book was written for everybody. Sure I initially wrote it for those poor souls trying to come to terms with their own head injuries. This grew to include all hospital admissions, then onto people who suffered medical trauma and then onto simply trauma? Divorce even? Why not, it's traumatic! Ultimately my book is a true story of my life, my death and my resurrection, which will inspire people and give them hope - something many people need from time to time
Post 11 • IP   flag post
29606 11 11
destitute