BillBelew.com
Business AdviceContent CreationContent MarketingmarketingNetworking

How to get out of a funk2229

Member CoolHandLuke private msg quote post Address this user
Hey Forum,

I've heard that making a personal website can be a key to marketing yourself to employers. Making a website would be a virtual resume medium (other than LinkedIn). Do any of you have your own personal website? If so, what website-design-template site did you use?
Post 1 • IP   flag post
Forum Owner Belew private msg quote post Address this user
@CoolHandLuke

I use WordPress on my self-hosted site.

BillBelew
Post 2 • IP   flag post
Member eddievelez private msg quote post Address this user
I too swear by WordPress, not the freebie .COM version; the self-hosted version.
Post 3 • IP   flag post
@eddievelez

Well if I were the swearing type ... I would, too. 8-) But then I know you and you are NOT that kind of swearing type, either.

More than 21-22% of ALL websites in the WORLD are built on WordPress....not the FREeBie...the self-hosted version.
Post 4 • IP   flag post
Teacher Rev private msg quote post Address this user
@CoolHandLuke

Definitely get your own domain name (mine is StephenBHenry.com), your own hosting, and WordPress CMS.

I've got some free videos in the forum "classroom" on doing exactly this.
Post 5 • IP   flag post
Member CoolHandLuke private msg quote post Address this user

Post 6 • IP   flag post
Student TParker private msg quote post Address this user
I have my own domain. If you aren't ready to set up a website you can start with FB Pages and a LinkedIn profile. But it is nice to have a website all to yourself.
Post 7 • IP   flag post
@CoolHandLuke

This is a great place to ask just this kind of question.

If you want to go deeper and quicker with experts who have been there, done that and can show NOT just tell, consider upgrading to Student Level.

No where can you learn so much, so quickly from so qualified a bunch for so little...even I do say so myself.

Better to spend a little now than a lot later to do it over again.
Post 8 • IP   flag post
Teacher SunilBhaskaran private msg quote post Address this user
@Rev may have ideas on this: but you can also combine a strategy using LinkedIn with your website and increase your traffic.
Post 9 • IP   flag post
@SunilBhaskaran

Absolutely. Your website is your foundation (focus) and social media is your out-reach. They work hand-in-hand (along with search) to generate organic and inbound traffic.
Post 10 • IP   flag post
Member philipwatling private msg quote post Address this user
LinkedIn and my book's Facebook page are all about my book and I talk of little else on Twitter. However, I would love to have my own website, but sadly do not have the funds to put it on line and keep it there
Post 11 • IP   flag post
@philipwatling

Perhaps you don't have the funds because you don't have the website. Catch 22.

But how much do you think a website costs. Contact me and we'll talk.
Post 12 • IP   flag post
@philipwatling I agree with Rev. Somewhere you may need to take and make a stand to break the chicken and egg cycle. No humor intended here.. but actually quite a good metaphor / analogy.
Post 13 • IP   flag post
@philipwatling, I work mainly with authors. A mistake many authors make is to think their book is the product. Their book is NOT the product; you are the product. And you need a website to distinguish your brand, because people buy from people they like and know.

So, Rev is correct. Without a site, you will be spinning your wheels. Many people do not believe you are serious when you don't have a website.
Post 14 • IP   flag post
What @eddievelez said!
Post 15 • IP   flag post
It IS something I have been meaning to do for quite a while. I once had a website up and, almost, running. I had done everything except get it live on line. I am a bit inept when it comes to modern technology. I do need to break the chicken/egg cycle, @SunilBhaskaran, but when I say I am poor I am not kidding. All I buy is food and I cannot afford to heat my flat Life can be a b....!
Post 16 • IP   flag post
@philipwatling

Sometimes you need to go just a bit deeper into debt in order to finally come out of debt completely.

The alternative is always almost. .. or worse never.

Borrow some money. .. buy into one of the very qualified teachers here and you'll get out of the funk.
Post 17 • IP   flag post
Got it. Did not mean to offend. Hmmm.. need to make something move forward.. but it begins with you. Somewhere you gotta find the means to move this out of the current state. There were times when I was down and out.. it is tough.. but you have to find a way to put together the plan and get the beginnings of the structure to get you out of the cycle.
Post 18 • IP   flag post
@philipwatling If you have time, work on maximizing your exposure using free venues. Then, you can begin saving for the next step. Life has seasons. Food and heat are definitely more important than a website.
Post 19 • IP   flag post
Thank you Ms Parker, though I am looking forward to when I can afford heat :P
Post 20 • IP   flag post
Post 21 • IP   flag post
Once my book has sold one million copies I'll be laughing all the way to the bank
Post 22 • IP   flag post
Sadly if I go any further into debt. Belew, bills stop being paid and I lose my house! I can cut back (no heating, for example), but my wife can't
Post 23 • IP   flag post
@philipwatling

You gotta do what you gotta do.

I have never been that hard on the rocks ... I have, however, gone pretty deep in to debt... and climbed back out.
Post 24 • IP   flag post
I can climb, but my wife is a big weight keeping me down
Post 25 • IP   flag post
Ouch! Well, you gotta love her; but still plan. If your dream is to be successful, you need to become resourceful.
Post 26 • IP   flag post
I do the best that I think I gain. I spread the word; hopefully others spread it further
Post 27 • IP   flag post
I have found that making personal connections via Twitter has been beneficial. People see me "talking" to their friends and they take an interest in what I am doing. I don't have a product to sell (service, yes, product, no) but I am becoming more well-known.

If people feel that they know you, they are more likely to promote you. Educators, therapists, and rehab professionals are all people who might refer someone to your book. But you can't approach it with that mindset. You have to think, I am a part of this community and have some insights to offer--then do it. Once people realize you understand, then they will see the value of your work and share it.

Also, follow the social media feeds of successful authors in your genre. Learn how they use these venues and emulate it.
Post 28 • IP   flag post
@TParker

These are great insights.

Just because online is impersonal doesn't mean it's not personal.

Relationships win out.
Post 29 • IP   flag post
Thanks for the advise. I do agree though that relationships are everything and have proved very useful in the past. Once someone in the bank refused to let me withdraw money from a cleared cheque... A cheque that bounced a few days later! I believe he only did that because he knew me!

I 'market' my book as one that brings hope and I hope that is a view that anyone can appreciate. Over the years on Twitter I have gathered some odd followers; I think the oddest being America's most haunted. How they got to hear of my book I have no idea, but it led to my tweet: "I died in 1994, yet I am still hereā€¦ Am I a ghost? Read #FlightOfALifetime: my inspiring (e)book full of hope." Amend it to 'have I regenerated' and it works for Doctor Who fans as well
Post 30 • IP   flag post
29398 30 30
destitute