BillBelew.com
Content Marketing

Common Mistakes Content Marketers Make2232

samaz private msg quote post Address this user
What are the common mistakes content marketers do when deciding upon strategy to follow?
Post 1 • IP   flag post
SusanDay private msg quote post Address this user
@samaz Not to follow through with it?
Post 2 • IP   flag post
Hi Susan, My question in on the stage before following a strategy. there should be some common mistakes that content marketers fall into ,I should avoid, upon formulating/deciding on a strategy.
Post 3 • IP   flag post
SusanDay private msg quote post Address this user
I suppose it depends upon your goals and ultimate outcomes, @samaz

I've been writing content for a long time now, and I have my own sites which are jam-packed full of content. My strategy in the beginning was to see how long it would take before the sites got noticed by Google, and therefore visitors came. My strategy now is to monetize them, and that's led me to a different level of study.

I think the mistakes beginners make are not following the prescriptions Bill sets out. He has a flawless formula which if "rinse and repeat" each day will work to bring a lot of people to your site - it certainly works for me
Post 4 • IP   flag post
Belew private msg quote post Address this user
@samaz

Trying to do too many things at once.

I think the foundation is to create your own self-hosted site and establish yourself as a person worthy/credible enough to do business with.

Do that first and nothing else ... yet.

Don't worry about going social until you have given would be clients/peeps sufficient to socialize with.

Start with your website. Everything else is everything else.
Post 5 • IP   flag post
Thanks @SusanDay
Post 6 • IP   flag post
@Belew yes I agree with you, having a crowded content would be a common mistake isn't it?
Post 7 • IP   flag post
@samaz

I am not understanding.

What do you mean by crowded content?

I mean to say that people try to go Facebook, LinkedIn, Twitter, or Snapmonkey ... or some social network BEFORE they have built their own website and done some due diligence in building their credibility. That's a BIG mistake.
Post 8 • IP   flag post
@Belew thanks, I've got your point. what I meant with crowded content is when people try to inject as many content on their websites regardless of value/relevance thinking that this will increase visibility, correct me if am wrong. am new to this field.
Post 9 • IP   flag post
@samaz

Crowded content = garbage.

Rule of thumb ... put only content on your website that adds something, that lifts your readers up.
Post 10 • IP   flag post
Why I asked this? we had an argument at work, where some were insisting that this works well for them! I was not convinced and wanted to get experts insights.
Post 11 • IP   flag post
@samaz

If they say it works well for them, ask them to show you their bank account. Ask to see their Google Analytics. Check where the traffic is coming from and how long they are staying.

Opinions without data are just opinions.
Post 12 • IP   flag post
Rev private msg quote post Address this user
@samaz

Beware of numbers for numbers' sake and of spending too much (all?) of your time in analytics.

Yes, you must always know where you are on your journey of success in relation to your goals -- otherwise you are simply lost -- but if you spend too much time on analytics as opposed to actually working, you will find yourself analyzing nothing.

Numbers are seductive and we tend to try to find order in chaos. Measure what really matters, forget the rest.

Get your website up now. It is more important to get your site up now than to get it up right. You can fix the site later with minimal effect but you can never go back to now!
Post 13 • IP   flag post
26903 13 13
destitute