BillBelew.com
BloggingContent CreationIntroductionmarketingSocial Media

Social Media Marketing and Copywriting2262

Member Alessio private msg quote post Address this user
Hello,

I'm Alessio from Italy. I am a copywriter and a Social Media Marketing expert.

I'm interested in new issues concerning marketing and web in general.

Best

Alessio
Post 1 • IP   flag post
Member eddievelez private msg quote post Address this user
Hi Alessio,

Nice to meet you. You'll find plenty here. I will send a direct message with some resources.

Eddie
Post 2 • IP   flag post
Forum Owner Belew private msg quote post Address this user
@Alessio

Glad to have you here!

Where is your expertise in Social Media marketing?

What do you do best?
Post 3 • IP   flag post
Teacher SusanDay private msg quote post Address this user
@Alessio Great to meet you!

Ask lots of questions and share - this is a great place and you'll learn so much.
Post 4 • IP   flag post
Teacher SusanDay private msg quote post Address this user
@Alessio Is there anything in particular that you are interested in?
Post 5 • IP   flag post
Thank you!

I'll answer all the questions by explaining what I'm currently doing and what I would like to understand better.

The thing I'm doing better is to understand my customers' needs and to try to find a solution and bring them results, as regards social media marketing, sales and particular projects.

Social Media are an important step in the evolution of the web, but maybe they are only the beginning of a deeper evolution towards the Internet of everything.

Yet I have two questions which could be interesting:

1. Is Social Media Marketing the only way for small businesses to achieve results?

2. Is Social Media Marketing the most efficient way to achieve results?

If you also think that more could be achieved as regards business on the web, please reply! An interesting discussion could be the starting point to a new evolution of the way we do business.

Thanks! Best
Post 6 • IP   flag post
Top Contributor Steve private msg quote post Address this user
@Alessio simple answer to both questions is NO...

Social media is actually on its way out slowly... why else do you think Twitter hasn't sold... it's because they are old investments and not the new kids on the block.

As to your customers... I assume you are trying to market their products and services... so look at their customers, pain points, buying cycles, goals, obstacles, competitors, etc... and then tailor your marketing approach accordingly, so that it fills these needs.
Post 7 • IP   flag post
Teacher Rev private msg quote post Address this user
@Alessio

Welcome to the group. I look forward to sharing with, and learning from, you!

Social media is only one arrow in a full quiver and, as @Steve suggests, it may well be on the way out. It's hard to market effectively amidst all the chaff.

Online marketing (digital marketing, Internet marketing, and so many other names) is a process that involves many factors and many steps and you need to learn and understand them -- at least the primary ones -- in order to be effective.

Any solid long-lasting online presence will have it's foundation in a website with its own domain name and hosting. It is so affordable these days there is no reason not to. If you can't afford it, find another way, but do it.

From there, first begin with content to develop organic traffic. Add social media but focus on inbound marketing approaches.

Grow from there.
Post 8 • IP   flag post
Thank you @Steve and @Rev!

It's a fact that there is a lot of "noise" in the information stream and it's sometimes hard to find a good method in order to achieve business goals.

I'm focusing now on referral marketing, which can be also an "offline" method. So the online and offline aspects are both important.

But I wouldn't be a member of this forum without social media, and a local perspective is not enough to build a real business strategy.

What is really important to me now is to learn from people around the world who already achieved what I'm trying to do.

So you can find a neighbor far away from where you live, while real neighbors do not share the same perspective as you.

You may think this is pure philosophy, but the main problem now is to bring best practices everywhere in the world, despite the fact that there are a lot of different systems in different countries.

This is the real limit and resistance to real progress and to the achievement of business goals both for small and for large enterprises all around the world.

I appreciate thus this forum as an opportunity to "spread the word" and try to make this information-based global society more effective and business-oriented.

Best
Post 9 • IP   flag post
@Alessio

You have a lot of neighbors here. 89 countries and growing.
Post 10 • IP   flag post
Social media is one method for driving traffic to your website. As I've said many times before, never let social media be a substitute for your website, because on social media you own nothing and are not in control.

With that said, a well balanced approach includes social media, email marketing (newsletter), PR (using HARO and others), pay per click (if in the budget), among others.

As for social media being on the way out, it's not - it's here to stay. Why? It's how people communicate, circumventing the controlling media. It's just maturing and people are becoming more savvy. People filter, because there's too much noise. However, if you learn how to break through the noise, you will have a rock-solid foundation of people to communicate with. The mistake many people make is not to take the time to nurture those relationships and don't seek niche networks and groups. There's only one Walmart; you're not it.

For example, I have a client with a world-class product, which should be priced highly, and he thinks using click-bait ads in social media is the way to promote it. Well, besides ticking off his audience, he will cheapen the value of his product, because he chose to sell a Lexus like a used-car salesman.

Hope this helps!
Post 11 • IP   flag post
Thank you @eddievelez for your suggestions!

Best
Post 12 • IP   flag post
@Alessio

My pleasure, Alessio!
Post 13 • IP   flag post
Member Galliher private msg quote post Address this user
I think social media will be around for a long time. The internet is booming and you can't stay up to date in every single platform. I really think the best way to find potential clients is through social media. That's also the quickest way to keep in touch. However, I also know quite a few business owners who could care less about social media.
Post 14 • IP   flag post
And keep in mind, social media provides an instant mobile delivery system. No one can resist looking when the phone jingles. Therefore, you have a shorter engagement curve, assuming your content is done well. Not all content is equal and just because it gets through, it doesn't guarantee it will pull.

You need to ensure your content is the best it can be, because you're not only competing against your genre; you are competing against anyone doing push marketing. Because people filter and choose what do they have time to consume, and what interest them, discriminating against the content that is either:

a) poorly done and or
b) off target.

Not everyone is your prospect.
Post 15 • IP   flag post
Along with a shorter engagement curve you have a shorter time to live for your content. It is important to feed/link back to a foundational presence.

For example, I see many Twitter users with no website (or similar) link in their profile. Many will want to learn more about you -- more than just the meager information in your profile -- before they contact you for direct engagement.

A well constructed, content rich, device responsive website may well be the best vehicle for that purpose.
Post 16 • IP   flag post
Top Contributor Steve private msg quote post Address this user
I actually saw a Facebook advertisement from a marketing consultant telling people they don't need a website to be successful online...

I don't agree with that statement... it is more a case of telling people what they want to hear to sell them his course, rather than what they need to hear to actually be successful.

As to social media... far to many people simply post... and never use any call to actions... generally speaking once people know you, accept that you know what you are talking about and have a need... simply telling them what you want them to do will result in orders... hence the CTA need.
Post 17 • IP   flag post
@Steve

"rather than what they need to hear to actually be successful"

Absolutely. So many are chasing the dream and flitting from one shiny object to the next, hoping to find success. Success isn't a place. it's a journey but, more than that, it is a process.

We all need a path, a map (plan), and a guide to be successful. Part of that "path" (as with any good road) is the foundation; a great website.

Sure, I sell websites. You might say I'm financially motivated to make the above statement. I've given away more websites than I sell. I recognize that the only road to success for some people is the website they think they don't need.
Post 18 • IP   flag post
Well said @Rev. With a website, you are in control of your message and you own the database you build. On social media, you are not in control and own nothing.

I learned this the hard way four times, with Digg, Twitter, Facebook and LinkedIn. On Digg, I lost 2,000 followers to an update. On LinkedIn I lost 7,000+ followers (not connections), due to an update. On Facebook, my reach became a trickle, unless I was willing to pay, after an algorithm update. On Twitter, I had a client's account shut down, due to a misunderstanding. They finally relented and gave it back, but had they decided not to, he would've lost 6,000+ followers (not to mention the over 100K reach for being listed multiple times).

To use anything but your own website to control your message is to believe that those who create networks do it with altruistic reasons to help you. They are in business to make money and anything that goes against their bottom line will be changed at the expense of the user, who pays nothing for the service, but yet they make millions in advertising because of our presence.

The website is still King and anyone who says otherwise either has no clue what he or she is talking about, or has an agenda, or both.
Post 19 • IP   flag post
The ppl who make the most money on Facebook are the people selling others how to make money on Facebook.
Post 20 • IP   flag post
I agree with your ideas: each process needs a method and feedback is very important. To have a good presence on social media is not enough: we need a good strategy, we need to know in which order things have to be done. And we need a good product, or at least a product suitable and affordable for the target we have chosen.
Post 21 • IP   flag post
What do you think about Twitter ads? And which social media fit better an advertising strategy?
Post 22 • IP   flag post
@Alessio @Steve, this one is for you.

@Steve is the resident and more expert on all things Twitter.
Post 23 • IP   flag post
I wasn't specifically asked, but when has that stopped me before...

I really suspect ads are not the right answer here. Unless you have deep pockets, considerable skill and experience, ads will just take your money. Organic and inbound is the way to go. Create a plan. Work it. And win.
Post 24 • IP   flag post
@Alessio

I agree with @Rev. And depending on your offering, Twitter may not be the place to promote; it may be the place to network and build credibility.

Twitter is great as a feeder network. Meet them there and take them where you want them to go (cross recruiting). It's also where news breaks, so if you blog and share on Twitter, journalists look for bloggers who can speak to the topic of breaking news. So you can get free PR. However, I find LinkedIn to be a more valuable network for serious prospects.

I recently closed two good deals on LinkedIn using the LinkedIn PRO Finder program. Also, just my usual networking has landed me some good business.

I've advertised twice on social media, to see if it would work, and because Facebook controls everything and have watered down other advertising methods, it got me nothing.

There is no shortcut to success. I have been blogging now for over 6 years and that is what earned me the business I get now. I'm indexed by Google, and my articles are all over social media, article banks, portals and aggregators, and StumbleUpon; so when people search they find my articles (not necessarily my website) and come into my website via the backdoor. That's where a well designed website does the rest. Remember, the number one goal of a website is NOT to make a sale; it's to capture the identity of your visitor, so you can build a database you own for marketing purposes. #2 is to make a sale.

I hope this helps!
Post 25 • IP   flag post
The biggest reasons why paid ads don't work are because the ad buyer doesn't know what s/he is doing, and they don't go in deep enough or stay at it long enough.

They will spend $10/day for 2 weeks (or some such number) and not see any results. Facebook and Adwords thanks you for your support.

If you have deep enough pockets, you can A, B, C test ads at Facebook until you figure out what converts = brings money in at a higher rate than what it cost you to get that conversion.

Once you figure that out you can let the money you are earning pay for future ads. Even so ... you need to test a LOT, sometimes not but usually, until you learn what works.

If I could spend $300 and make $1000 ... I'd do that forever.

If I could spend $3,000 and make $10,000 ... I'd do that, forever.

If I spend $30,000 ... smartly ... chances are I will probably figure out how to make $100,000.

I ask my clients how much they want to make next year. I tell them to multiply that number by 25% and be prepared to spend that much on smart marketing.

Want $1,000,000 in revenue next year. Find $250K to spend on marketing.
Post 26 • IP   flag post
Thank you @Rev @eddievelez @Belew

Today's question: do you know good methods or apps to calculate the return of investment (ROI) of web marketing?

I mean, if my customers want to know for example how much marketing has helped them get new customers, how can I show them that my work helped them?

For example in social media marketing and in developing a blog for a customer.
Post 27 • IP   flag post
There are many, but they charge for the PRO features. Like HootSuite which is well developed. SocialOomph is another. BuzzSumo is very good, plus it helps you do others things, like find and curate content.
Post 28 • IP   flag post
Thank you @eddievelez
Post 29 • IP   flag post
@Alessio

Great question.

First - how do you define customer? Do you mean lead or money-in-the bank?

These are measurable.
Post 30 • IP   flag post
29399 31 30
destitute