BillBelew.com
Blogging

Blogger Forced to Pay in Defamation Suit2263

Forum Owner Belew private msg quote post Address this user
A blogger ... and old guy, 71-year old, was forced to pay up in a defamation suit.

He lied ... and got called out for it.
Post 1 • IP   flag post
Member eddievelez private msg quote post Address this user
Bloggers are now considered journalists. So if one thinks he or she can hide behind an eVeil, they are sadly mistaken.

While I don't wish harm on anyone, it's good that he didn't get a way with it. It will make others think twice, especially in this bitter "gotcha" political climate, one shouldn't think they have the right to harm someone and not have repercussions.
Post 2 • IP   flag post
@eddievelez

Totally agree with you!

Just because publishing online seems impersonal, it doesn't mean some folks won't take it personal.

The 71-year old dude should have appealed ... perhaps he could outlive our legal process...
Post 3 • IP   flag post
Member julesthoughts private msg quote post Address this user
Anytime someone writes unsubstantiated information about anyone but especially the famous and posts it for the world to read they are guilty of spreading false news. In the good old days, this would be grounds for dismissal from a journalist job and grounds for a lawsuit. Now false news is eaten up by those who despise the person about whom it concerns and gleefully spread in social media. what happened to fair and balanced reporting and the editors who specialized in fact checking?
Post 4 • IP   flag post
Which is why repercussions need to become stiff, harsh and fast, and then we will see this diminish.
Post 5 • IP   flag post
@julesthoughts What happened to telling the truth?
Post 6 • IP   flag post
Times have changed and truth is now relative. What's true for you is not necessarily true for me.

I will NOT die from deceleration trauma if I jump off a building, because I believe gravity is a conspiracy by the government to control people.
Post 7 • IP   flag post
Member julesthoughts private msg quote post Address this user
@Belew Truth now resides in the mind of the beholder or rather in the mouth of those who utters the words and in the mind that concieves them. People no longer question anything they hear. It's simpler to just repeat it.
Post 8 • IP   flag post
Member ChuckNolan private msg quote post Address this user
In a defamation lawsuit, a trial is held and evidence is weighed. Only proven lies are subject to sanctions. Phrases like "I have heard" or "the evidence seems to indicate" are used by those who wish to pass on opinions or facts that are not clearly proven, but suspected to be true. Idiots simply make unsubstantiated claims and sometimes suffer the consequences. Ignorance we can cure, but stupid is forever!
Post 9 • IP   flag post
Top Contributor Steve private msg quote post Address this user
Blogging with Integrity ... now that's a whole different world... especially for so called professional bloggers.

And blogging is no different from what people post online anywhere... i wonder how many people have been sued over FB rants.
Post 10 • IP   flag post
Teacher Rev private msg quote post Address this user
I think this sums it up...

Exodus 20 16

As a keen student of synchronicity, I find the 20 16 part so interesting considering the kind of year it was. Gotta love Carl!
Post 11 • IP   flag post
“You shall not bear false witness against your neighbor."
Post 12 • IP   flag post
Member PatMolina private msg quote post Address this user
You should never be trashing another person's name, especially if you have no proof about it. The internet should not allow people to post hate filled messages, this is not what it's for. People believe though that just because they are behind a computer, they are free to say and spew garbage about people (even if there is no verifiable truth or basis to it) when that is wrong.
Post 13 • IP   flag post
@PatMolina

"The internet should not allow..."

How do you propose that happen?
Post 14 • IP   flag post
Teacher Rev private msg quote post Address this user
Actually, I'd rather the Internet DOES allow. The rest is what the courts are for.
Post 15 • IP   flag post
29726 15 15
destitute