BillBelew.com
Organic SearchSEO

Google Penalizing Popups on Mobile Devices?2276

Belew private msg quote post Address this user
@slaqjaw

There was a blonde boy (I am a blonde ... or was, so save the I am not PC nonsense) ... who called up the Post cereal company to complain ... I never could get the puzzle back together.

I think that's funny but I might have messed it up somehow. Comes from being a blonde.

But then, at least I have hair ... that used to be blonde.
Post 26 • IP   flag post
slaqjaw private msg quote post Address this user
Hmmmm..... maybe there are a couple pieces missing.... As to hair lines, God made man in His image and covered all the rest with hair.
Post 27 • IP   flag post
Lenderman33 private msg quote post Address this user
Hi Folks,

To answer the initial question: Yes. Google began penalizing "Interstials" also known as "Pop-Ups" in January.

The details are available on SearchEngine Land

However, Google also updated it's algorithm to allow for rapid recovery from penalties, so long as these are corrected immediately.

Therefore, many have suggested that all pop-ups are discontinued as a base-line. Items that are not likely to be penalized may include side-bars, or anything that appears above-the-fold and below-the-fold, or calls-to-action that appear within the text.

Thanks!

Erik
Post 28 • IP   flag post
lunar_ranger private msg quote post Address this user
I can empathize from a couple angles...

Pop-ups have built our lists by over a 15X in a couple months... and this is great from a sale lead POV.

However...

From a UX standpoint (especially over mobile) it has increased page load speeds by ~20%, even with a caching plug-in and other steps to speed things up a bit.

Responsive's have rendered well- but again slow loads.

There's got to be a happy middle ground with Google being the overlord.
Post 29 • IP   flag post
pop ups on mobiles should be penalized.

I have a huge screen and sometimes still canNOT get rid of the darn thing so I can read.
Post 30 • IP   flag post

KathrynLang private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Belew
@slaqjaw

Five critical criteria to a site's success ...

1. Solve a problem - Storytelling
2. Solve the problem a LOT - Quantity
3. Solve the problem well - Quality
4. Solve the problem often - Consistency
5. Solve the problem for a long time - Longevity

I LOVE this - I would like to use it as the base for a blog post if that's okay - with attribution to you @belew of course
Post 31 • IP   flag post
@KathrynLang

Sure. Inmail me when it's done so I can come take a look and leave a comment ...
Post 32 • IP   flag post
Rev private msg quote post Address this user
@KathrynLang

For several years now I have been speaking about the 4 Ys of success. You may have heard me mention them on Blab. When I joined this forum over a year ago, I was pleasantly surprised to see Bill was using similar words to say the very same thing.

I see Bill has added "storytelling" to the front end of his own list of the 4 Ys -- something I've recognized but left unsaid as I have felt the 4 Ys can apply to many other things as well. In the context of this forum, however, storytelling is spot on.

Back in October of 2015 I wrote a post on one of my own blogs about the 4 Ys and I am looking forward to seeing how you encapsulate the concept in your post.
Post 33 • IP   flag post
@Rev

Another word for Storytelling in other contexts would be Problem Solving.

Once upon a time the damsel was in distress. The online marketer showed up to destroy the dragon. The dragon decided to buy a better shield so he'd be more prepared the next time he was in a fight.
Post 34 • IP   flag post
In the old days (1970 - 2000) they would have added, "Brought to you by the Acme Sword & Shield Company" -- now we don't need to!
Post 35 • IP   flag post
A good marketer would teach the damsel how to stay out of distress and the sell the dragon better weapons (or at least tell his friend that he knows someone who has a problem that needs to be solved.)
Post 36 • IP   flag post
A really good marketer would sell the damsel a wide screen TV and interest the dragon in a portable tablet model in a flame retardant convenient carry case.
Post 37 • IP   flag post
25144 37 12
destitute