BillBelew.com

So You've Written A Book...2283

Rev private msg quote post Address this user
There are a number of authors in this group. It's encouraging to see so many writers. Some write fiction. Some non-fiction. Some are published. Some still hoping. Maybe a few have given up. Some have posted in the forum seeking help with marketing their book(s).

I'd like to throw out a challenge to all the authors here: share a copy of your work so members of the group can read it and, hopefully, comment. If you think it's going to cut into your sales you are thinking too small. If your work is any good at all, you will get more referrals, "reach" and sales, than the sales you might give up by sharing here.

To start things off, here's a copy of one of mine.
Post 1 • IP   flag post
There are two examples of one way to promote your book -- have a single chapter available to share. It's a little different for @eddievelez since the chapter was his entire part of the book, but none-the-less great promotion for the book as a whole. @Seniorpreneur has the chapter available for access on his website. Again, great approach as it draws me to the website in order to grab the chapter. Nice.
Post 2 • IP   flag post
philipwatling private msg quote post Address this user
I'd be happy to do that, but have no idea how, short of copying and pasting a chapter!
Post 3 • IP   flag post
RogerBruner private msg quote post Address this user
One of my goals for today is to make a PDF copy of my most recent published book available for free just to the members of Bill's Blog. I'll post here again after I do it.
Post 4 • IP   flag post
I'm back. The Devil and Pastor Gus is a novel published in 2014 by Lighthouse Publishing of the Carolinas.

It takes ideas from the book of Job in the Bible, C.S. Lewis's Screwtape Letters, and the short story "The Devil and Daniel Webster," although I was undoubtedly influenced by other stories about someone who sells his soul to the Devil and works feverishly to break the contract.

It has 41 Amazon reviews with a 4.3 star average rating. If what I'm told is correct, getting more reviews on Amazon is critical. Hint, hint, hint. (But only if you read it and only if you want to review it.)

I'm not sure whether that was the absolute final version, but it's close enough. I apologize that the PDF doesn't include the cover. After far too long with a different cover, one that was unnecessarily scary, this cover took the place of the original.

Post 5 • IP   flag post
@RogerBruner

Nicely done.
Post 6 • IP   flag post
Belew private msg quote post Address this user
REMINDER: If you have not upgraded to teacher status, PLZ, NO external links that are promotional in nature - read my book, download this or get that stuff.
Post 7 • IP   flag post
My apologies for trying to include a link in my description of The Devil and Pastor Gus. I was just trying to respond to Rev's challenge to give a book to people here. So, to make this simpler, if you're interested in a free e-copy of The Devil and Pastor Gus, please inmail me and I'll give you the link. :-)
Post 8 • IP   flag post
@Belew

I see a distinction between @RogerBruner starting a thread with, "Here's my book..." and him responding in an existing thread with a link to his book. Is that drawing too fine a line? If so, then the fault is mine, and not those who shared in response.
Post 9 • IP   flag post
@philipwatling

It would seem to me, before you can get involved with online marketing. or websites, and the like, you need to get back to basics starting with copy and paste (you say you know how to do that) and working your way towards publishing a PDF. Before any of what we might share with you can be meaningful for, and put into practice by, you, you must have (and hone) the requisite skills.
Post 10 • IP   flag post
@Rev

The fault is mine because the line is fuzzy in my own mind.

I don't have a clear answer either.

As a rule ... I just want to avoid outgoing links altogether. It may change if it makes sense.

The blame is on me.
Post 11 • IP   flag post
@Rev My first chapter (Prebirth) was written so as to give an overview of my life till 23 and goes right through the first few hours in hospital before leading into Chapter Two (Life Before Death), which tells of the month before my accident and has nothing to do with trauma. That only really starts in Chapter Three (Angels of Mercy). It can be available for a would-be reader to access. In fact, already, I have let out to be read 'the opening gambit' of my book. Originally in the middle of Chapter One it was suggested I put it at the start to grab peoples' attention. What do you think?

Bang! The car hit me. Quite what happened nobody knows - my memory appears to have stopped the night before the accident, though that whole week may be lost in the mists of time. I feel certain that whatever small part of my brain, enrolled to remember the days surrounding my accident, was expelled - burnt up like a Christian worshipper at a satanic cookery school as my brain cells fried.
‘You’re lucky,’ I was told. ‘You don’t want to remember what happened.’
Like turning off a computer before a file is saved, the brain shuts down in moments of intense stress, erasing the events that caused the catastrophe from any hope of recall. Yet I was on a bus, and I never travelled on buses around London. This coincidence, so close to my accident, is one too many. I want to remember.

It is a cliché that is told by parents to their children to make them wear clean underpants: ‘If you get knocked down by a bus tomorrow…’ The trouble was it happened…it happened to me…it could have happened to anyone…
Post 12 • IP   flag post
@Rev Thanks Rev. I did various computer courses and have over ten computing certificates. What I don't have is as much time as I'd like or as much money to either give me the time or pay for help. One of these days I should just drop everything and devote a long weekend into setting up a website! Of course then there is the monthly cost of having a website on the net. Of course one has to speculate to accumulate
Post 13 • IP   flag post
KathrynLang private msg quote post Address this user
I have a dozen books - I just signed with a small press to re-release the latest one "Place in Purpose" - and another dozen eBooks.

I also have about that many in the cue at present (ready to be edited and beta tested, and almost that many loaded as a WIP. There are a lot of voices in my head and they all demand a place to live.

I write fiction and non-fiction - but everything I write (and speak) has an element of hope and possibility!

Here's the backside of my speaker sheet with several of my books on it.

If someone messages me directly, can I share a download with them that way @belew and would that work @rev?
Post 14 • IP   flag post
@KathrynLang

Yes, what happens in the inmail happens there and I have no control nor want control.

I want you and others to do business with one another.
Post 15 • IP   flag post
27513 15 15
destitute