BillBelew.com
authorsbook marketing

4 Way Reasons to Invest in Yourself and Book2306

Teacher Winsome1 private msg quote post Address this user

It is a brand new year. It is time for you to work on the set goals you wrote last year. Just recently, I have the privilege of talking with a lady about her book and her entrepreneurial adventure. She has the desire to go the next level this year. As we were both standing at the valet stand, I asked her what she was doing to invest in her audience building skills to make those dreams happen. Her response? She can’t make any financial investments, at this time. The valet drove up in her new Range Rover. She pointed and said, “My focus right now is paying off this beast.”

Wowza! I wish I could say this shocked me but…it didn’t. So many people with big dreams, also have big appetites for significance. Unfortunately, many look significant by spending on items that “make” them look significant and successful without actually having the money left over to invest in work that will lift them to significance. Many years ago, I sold real estate and so many agents bought nice cars because they thought the better the car, the more successful they appeared to their clients. Behind the scenes, most of them were broke and living paycheck to paycheck. When the market took a downward turn, some of them started living out of those fancy cars.

The next you feel like lavishing yourself and spending money on consumable items do take a minute to ponder on this – will this action of yours bring you more money? It is certain it won’t.

Being an author and an entrepreneur, think about these other options:

•Coaching Programs – see this as a long term plan to educate yourself on new and useful things that can impact heavily on your profit margin. Guess you want to make more money? By investing in your personal development, it will enable you reap more in profit on the long run than buying a new golf clubs or new pair of shoes.

•Resourceful Applications - you can diversify your business the use of certain tools and systems to speed up your productivity with much freedom to do other things.

•Seek Help – if you are promoting your book or business, let someone else (a Virtual assistant) handle the more tech intensive jobs. You don’t have to be the one that will edit the audio or video production and at the same time tweaking your site. Concentrate on the part that will make you the most money and let a competent virtual assistant handles the dirty jobs.

•Marketing and Sales Promotion – engage yourself this year in learning more about these. It does not mean emptying your wallet. You just need to learn the act of marketing yourself and business. It could mean hiring a coach. But don’t depend on others to do what you are good at.

It is only February, and not too late to start turning those dreams of significance in the marketplace into reality for 2017.
Post 1 • IP   flag post
Member Sab5151 private msg quote post Address this user
Hi Winsome 1!

Great article, thank you for sharing your thoughts.

I'm totally agreed with you. Make the right investment for our future is capital. It's always better to invest in ourself rather to material possession.

Only one thing that I'm not agreed is the terminology used: "a competent virtual assistant handles the dirty jobs." I would prefer read something like "a competent virtual assistant handles the part you don't like to do" or "a competent virtual assistant handles the part you are no so expert"

I believe that Virtual Assistants make the choice to develop this type of Business because they do what they love, mainly helping others. I know it's just a detail of terminology!
Post 2 • IP   flag post
Yes, I probably should have changed the part about the VA's. Mine is AMAZING! For me tech is a four- letter dirty word!:-)
Post 3 • IP   flag post
Member Fizzymidas private msg quote post Address this user
Interesting post.

I once read somewhere that the only investment you make that continues to appreciate even after your death is self investment.
Post 4 • IP   flag post
Teacher SusanDay private msg quote post Address this user
@Winsome1 I've just started writing my first non-fiction book. I've written plenty of fiction books before, but never a book like this. It's part of my strategy to become a key person of interest.

I'd be interested in your thoughts on whether I should start promoting it now or wait till its finished? I have a website and blog.
Post 5 • IP   flag post
Teacher Rev private msg quote post Address this user
@SusanDay

Quote:
Originally Posted by SusanDay
I'd be interested in your thoughts on whether I should start promoting it now or wait till its finished?

You just started promoting it!
Post 6 • IP   flag post
Member Sab5151 private msg quote post Address this user
Hey SusanDay!

It's well practice to promote books before they hit the shelves. I would definitively recommend it.

As you have a Website and blog, it's pretty easy to do.

Just one idea that come up to my head: create a lead magnet on your website which offer first chapter (or half of it) for free or pdf with some insight of your book.
by doing it, you'll grow your email list and increase traffic + conversion + sales when the book is out.

If you keep talking about your freebies around you when you are networking ,do your regular book promo,etc... I believe that your book sales will drastically increase.

Use cross promoting as well for pre-prom, it works very well for books.

Last, you can always look for pre-sales during the process!!

I hope it'll help!

All the best
Post 7 • IP   flag post
Member Fizzymidas private msg quote post Address this user
@Susanday, @Sab5151 is right. Get started on marketing your book even before it is finished. It will build up anticipation and expectation.
Post 8 • IP   flag post
@SusanDay Start promoting yourself as an expert now, with good content so you can audience build before you book comes out. Also, put a couple good lead magnets together and start building your list so you have a base to launch from.

Your list and a pre- launch strategy are your best tools for book selling.
Post 9 • IP   flag post
@Winsome1 but Thank you!

I have a free ebook as an opt in gift and sales emails generated after people subscribe.

I was wondering if you thought promoting the yet-to-be-completed book with a pre-launch was worthwhile, and if so at what point does one do that before the book's proposed completion date?
Post 10 • IP   flag post
Yes, a pre- launch is worth it. Use Kindle as the vehicle and have the actual copy in your hand before you enter it into the system.

Is it worth it? Yes, Amazon changed many of it's rules for reviews late last year. Your best tool for having a successful launch is using your list. Amazon spiders are trolling the Internet looking for policy violators. The one place they can not enter is your list unless they subscribe.

You must have a marketing funnel ready for a pre- launch for it to be successful.
Post 11 • IP   flag post
@Winsome1 Thanks again.

I have been studying sales / marketing funnels so I'll give this a go. I have only just started - 5,000 words but I will start building my list now.
Post 12 • IP   flag post
29147 12 12
destitute