BillBelew.com
Brainstorming

Why are ppl afraid to pay to learn?2323

Belew private msg quote post Address this user
I suppose that most if not just abt everyone thinks that all the information they need about anything is freely available online ... somewhere ... so why pay for it?

There are, of course, problems with that approach.

Besides the fact that all information is freely available provided you can find it and know how to apply it ... what other reasons can you think of that make people afraid to pay to learn ... online?
Post 1 • IP   flag post
Rev private msg quote post Address this user
I suspect many (most?) people are doubting Thomas types. And, considering all the scamming and spamming they have been exposed too, you can understand their skepticism in believing anything they are told/sold.

When you find the right product, the right service, the right individual, however, it is often worth many times the price to get exactly what you need, and often more, and save time and frustration in doing so.
Post 2 • IP   flag post
ChuckNolan private msg quote post Address this user
Several respected economists talk of a large percent of the general population spending more than they make, turning to credit cards or home equity loans to fill the gap. Many more, feeling like a leaf floating uncontrolled down the river of life, they long ago gave up any hope of real improvement.
Today, a large percentage of our population has decided that it is better to not risk failure, than to reach for greater rewards.
Schools teach our children, seek peer approval, seek pleasure, and avoid pain. Is it any wonder that too many find street drugs the quickest path to pleasure?
Helping our brothers reawaken their dream hopes and dreams is one of the highest callings.
The most difficult physical effort was learning to walk, and the most challenging intellectual achieve was learning to speak.
Excluding physical limits, don't tell me "you can't". Believe that you can do most anything, if you can make it seem to be worth the effort.
For many of us, a lot of prayer helps too.
Post 3 • IP   flag post
SusanDay private msg quote post Address this user
It's frustrating when you have a great product / service to offer.

Many people are only driven by the WIIFM factor - What's In It For Me.

That's all sales pitches do now - offer a product or service that somehow improves life, status or income.

Any sales pitch needs to be focused on these things.
Post 4 • IP   flag post
BigPoppi private msg quote post Address this user
@below - your just talking to the wrong people. Hanging out in the wrong places. People are paying. Need the right offer to the right people...
Post 5 • IP   flag post
@below - people don't want stuff, information. They want answers....
Post 6 • IP   flag post
@BigPoppi solutions?
Post 7 • IP   flag post
@SusanDay same thing, but yes. Great analogy especially for men. They never read the instruction manuals. Just tell me how to use it...lol
Post 8 • IP   flag post
Fizzymidas private msg quote post Address this user
@BigPoppi, but how to use it is contained in the manual.
Post 9 • IP   flag post
@Fizzymidas sure is....
Post 10 • IP   flag post
@BigPoppi
It's @belew not @ below...unless you are trying to tell me something.
Post 11 • IP   flag post
@Belew - phone spell check. I use Swype so it changes words when you send if you don't catch them.

I was also working out at gym and in a hurry...
Post 12 • IP   flag post
lunar_ranger private msg quote post Address this user
It's not that they're afraid, they assume they can find it for free somewhere else and they have a legion of other people who are aggressively pursuing them and their money with systems. *Once you break the distortion in messaging and delivery you will be able to sell to them.

We all want answers and are taken away by the fantasy of a secret recipe for money, but most people either don't know where to start, had many false starts, or lost the heart once they started. It is understandable why most of the money from these systems is generated from the transaction involved in selling the concept and "rule book" to others.

*Speaking as someone who has an inbox full of unopened emails...
Post 13 • IP   flag post
Can you say, "just another shiny object!"
Post 14 • IP   flag post
philipwatling private msg quote post Address this user
Providing they were trustworthy and not trying to SPAM me, as Re pointed out; I'd happily pay to bathe someone else's teaching and expertise, but when I cannot even afford to change the lightbulb in my fridge ATM, it will be a long while before I can afford to pay for others to help me :'(
Post 15 • IP   flag post
Seniorpreneur private msg quote post Address this user
We live in a computerized information World. There are many self anointed experts out there that are convinced their Gold star info is very valuable, and probably cannot be obtained from any other sources. They especially in 'live seminars' will price their information offerings at ridiculous prices. I have seen too many people get hypnotized by the speaker presenter who then tries to convince the audience to go to the back of the room and buy their presentation materials. Those that are still sitting in their seats are belittled and made to feel small and less empowered. Here many take out their credit cards and pay thousands of dollars to get the sugar coated answer to their small business problems. Unfortunately these kind of information sellers are ruining the buying information experience for the rest of us.
Post 16 • IP   flag post
morrnel private msg quote post Address this user
The public school system is preferred because it's 'free' and will not spend money on private education. When something is free you are the product. The same people complain about earning minimum wage. People don't understand the value a food education offers.

On the other had, please don't try to sell me an empty paper bag. Too many 'get rich quick' schemes worth $25k sell for $99. Who are they trying to b.s.?

I spend lots of time on education. Spend very little money on it. I am currently taking an 8 week TOSEL certification course. Paying for it only because I want the certificate just as @BigPoppi suggested.
Post 17 • IP   flag post
@Seniorpreneur

I recount an episode in my book in reference to purchase of presentation materials (an item called a future diary) at a weekend seminar series I attended. As my wife pointed out, the item, for which I paid a significant figure, could probably have been found at an office supply store (without the fancy graphics) for a couple of bucks.

But it was the hype and the excitement and the belief created by the environment of the presentation and the audience and the facility that led to that $2 day-timer becoming an important factor in my growth and success over the coming months. Sure, I could have done it without the future diary but the synergy and synchronicity that followed the purchase underwrote significant planning and choices that opened doors going forward.

The key is, I didn't just make the purchase and put the shiny object on a shelf. I tied it around my neck (figuratively speaking) like a bell and followed its sound as it lead me to pastures I might have found anyway but might just as easily wandered in the wrong direction, or no direction at all.
Post 18 • IP   flag post
People do not buy a product ... they choose an amount they want to invest in themselves.

The reason most people pay any form of tuition is because they don't have the self-discipline to the work themselves.

Nobody has to pay anybody anything if they not CAN but would teach themselves. But they can't ... or won't ... or don't.

I am surprised that people will pay me to tell them what they should tell themselves to do ..... then again maybe I shouldn't e surprised.
Post 19 • IP   flag post
The problem isn't always lack of ambition or desire in people, it's the inability to filter extraneous, superfluous information from useful, helpful information they can use and actually need to act upon- so they can succeed.
Post 20 • IP   flag post
I am going to pay Bill. I know I could personally obtain the knowledge through a little determination or diligence on my end-but why go it alone when you can tap into a professional lifeline?

I trust Bill, and by association, his cadre's ability to logical structure, organize, and present knowledge that has value for me

...and it's $20 a month, and I wasted $10 on lunch today and really got nothing from it.
Post 21 • IP   flag post
@lunar_ranger

There you go. Comparatively it is a drop in the bucket. If you get one good thing a month from the classroom you will be ahead of the game. There are already good teachers there. More coming.

They key to participation, I feel, is after payment, engage. Show up. Bring your questions. Seek out the answers you need. Ask. Put pressure on those who claim to have answers. Make us work. We're committed. We need to be accountable. We need to deliver.
Post 22 • IP   flag post
@lunar_ranger Good on you! It will be money well spent, and as @Rev says come prepared and make us work hard
Post 23 • IP   flag post
zsazsa private msg quote post Address this user
I have been teaching small groups of selected people for quite a while and now I would very much like to spread the word online. However not many people wants to spend money. Recently I decided to offer webinars and books completely free, I do not even take the e-mail address. And believe it or not this uproach did not enjoy success either. So what to do? People are afraid of the free stuff, because it could be rubbish and they do not want to pay.The great majority of earthlings float on the surface as if they were afraid of learning something new. Hwever from time to time one or two comes to me and it is great fun and pleasure to see them develop.
Post 24 • IP   flag post
Seniorpreneur private msg quote post Address this user
@zsazsa I don't think that people are afraid of the Free Stuff. I'm notorious for getting Free information. So far most of the Free Stuff is fine. However; the problem I find is the Author of the Free Stuff doesn't really want to engage with you in a meaningful way to see what you are doing. Their main priority is selling you something else after they give you the Free Stuff.
Post 25 • IP   flag post
zsazsa private msg quote post Address this user
You are absolutely right. I might have used a wrong word here. the point is that people do not really know what they want or what they should want. Due to this they receive unlimited free imformation they cannot really use because they do not know how or where.
You are right about the non-caring situation. I myself gave up blogging on my own site because it took a lot of time away from the type of work I need to do to survive. So there is always a catch 22 in life.
Post 26 • IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by lunar_ranger
The problem isn't always lack of ambition or desire in people, it's the inability to filter extraneous, superfluous information from useful, helpful information they can use and actually need to act upon- so they can succeed.

Isn't this what ppl pay for? A filter?
Post 27 • IP   flag post
@zsazsa @Seniorpreneur

Isn't that what ppl should pay for ... an expert to tell them what they want?
Post 28 • IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by zsazsa
gave up blogging on my own site because it took a lot of time away from the type of work I need to do

Catch 22 is right. Blogging -- regular quality posts -- is the best way to develop focused organic traffic which leads to paid clients or customers. Giving that up to make money to survive is counter productive.

I'll bet there isn't anyone here who can't find the time too write six posts a week. Anyone?

And you can set up a blog for free so that money excuse thing doesn't apply either. Next?
Post 29 • IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rev
six posts a week.

What will you be doing the other 6 days of the week?
Post 30 • IP   flag post
25145 37 30
destitute