BillBelew.com
authorsmarketingOrganic Search

Link prospecting for Orthodox theology2329

CJSHayward private msg quote post Address this user
I am an author with emphasis on Orthodox theology, works as explained in the introductions thread..

I think I could use some advice on link prospecting. I can fairly easily find seminaries, but I'm not really finding blogs and such.

What should I be doing to identify personal Orthodox blogs?

Thanks,
CJSH
Post 1 • IP   flag post
kazu private msg quote post Address this user
Great question! The simplest way to start, if you don't have access to link checking software, could be to use a search modifier along with your keyword, such as:

inurl:blog orthodox theology
inurl:blog [specific themes within the subject]

Which will only return results with 'blog' in the URL. This isn't perfect though, as lots of sites don't use that system, but it's a start. Then you can either use those sites directly, or check which sites link to them using software (I use majestic).

If you have access to majestic and Buzzstream then there's a great process for making it a whole lot more efficient. I'm happy to share the process if anyone's interested.
Post 2 • IP   flag post
Belew private msg quote post Address this user
Search for what you hope others will search for to find you and look to see who else comes up.

Reach out to them and offer to guest post for them.
Post 3 • IP   flag post
lunar_ranger private msg quote post Address this user
Advanced search operands work like a dream... for competitive research and link building opportunities. Also, personal preference, I like using Pitchbox for link prospecting.

Create valuable content worthy of your audience, find where your ideal site visitor goes "to feed", discover deficiencies in that site (such as inadequate resource pages or broken links to outbound resources, or value add-on to existing content they have produced, make sure you have a healthy balance of non-followed and followed links), and maintain. Building links used to be easy now it involves a lot of communications and relationship building for relative unknowns.

If you're trying to actively build your link profile- I would be happy to compliment what @kazu has to say.
Post 4 • IP   flag post
@Belew understanding user intent is very important too.
Post 5 • IP   flag post
@lunar_ranger

First you need users ... then you can find out their intentions.

Too many people try to build something and get people to buy it ... when I think a better strategy might be is to find out what people want and build that for them.
Post 6 • IP   flag post
@Belew

Agreed, having users makes the whole process of segmenting and understanding his audience a million times easier!

However, since he is just getting started he needs to stalk out his competition which have already gotten his intended audiences attention and do what they're doing (content and link building) much better. From my experience this has worked well. Never built something from the ground up, but definitely found unconventional audiences to established product categories and subject material.

Once he starts pulling their traffic, he can refine his messaging and produce something uniquely his own, than go after untapped and unknown audiences.
Post 7 • IP   flag post
@lunar_ranger

Not sure I agree ... but that's good.

I'd put my head down and generate a bunch of on target stuff and see who shows up. Then figure out how and what to sell to them.
Post 8 • IP   flag post
CJSHayward private msg quote post Address this user
@all, thanks. let me let that simmer.

My site has been around for a while and it has a following. But I want to let the suggestions here simmer in my mind.
Post 9 • IP   flag post
26778 9 9
destitute