BillBelew.com
Belew Speaks

External links are NOT permitted - MUST READ2336

Forum Owner Belew private msg quote post Address this user
It is poor form to create a thread that asks readers to go elsewhere.

A forum is a place for people to come to, not leave from.

Adding links to a post is reserved for those who have been given permission to upgrade to teacher status and have demonstrated they have something worth asking people to click thru to read.

Do NOT add links that ask people to go elsewhere ... to your site.

This is self-serving. If I am in a good mood, I will delete the thread and send you a note.

If I am in a bad mood, I will delete your account.
Post 1 • IP   flag post
Member Clydeart private msg quote post Address this user
I agree that a forum is a destination and not a self serving place to link from. Although I do not post much, I come to learn from the experience of others.

I hope that I am not simply a "lurker". Things posted here have helped me drive some traffic to my Etsy & ebay (notice no links) stores and I am getting some small results from what I have learned here.
Post 2 • IP   flag post
Member Svalis private msg quote post Address this user
What about starting a thread specifically for self promotion? That way those people who would like to do so can do so and those reading that thread will know exactly what they're looking at when they enter it.

Also it's a bit short sighted to give a blanket "no external links" rule. What if people are asking for help or opinions on the information found on their website or something similar? They would have to have an external link to get to their site.
Post 3 • IP   flag post
Teacher Rev private msg quote post Address this user
@Clydeart

Even if you are "simply a lurker" it's OK. Some come here to share and write. For that sharing/writing to have purpose there must also be people who accept/read. When the time is right, when you have something to share/write, you will -- as you just did!

Nice.
Post 4 • IP   flag post
Teacher Rev private msg quote post Address this user
@Svalis

A self-promotion thread sounds like it could be a good idea. @Belew ???

As for help, add your website URL to your account. Anyone can legitimately find your site that way.
Post 5 • IP   flag post
Teacher SusanDay private msg quote post Address this user
@Belew I've been involved with self promotion sites where participants visit another participant's site and like, forward, share blog posts. I thought it was boring but many people got something out of it. I'm not sure if it helps SEO though.
Post 6 • IP   flag post
@Rev

I know that anyone can legitimately find the site that way but if you're talking about a specific page that's usually nice to just have a link to click to. That's why I bring it up.
Post 7 • IP   flag post
Member Clydeart private msg quote post Address this user
@Rev Thanks for your insights today and in the past.

@SusanDay An example of what you say about self promotion sites is the parallel threads on Etsy where people, Etsy store owners, like, fave, and follow one another. I have not gotten any sales via these Etsy threads, but I hope the likes and faves that appear on the store help convince people to buy my items. Maybe this cross promotion between Etsy players has some merit I do not see yet. I do play the game and do some tit for tat back when another Etsy store owner faves something of mine.
Post 8 • IP   flag post
Member RBishopSr private msg quote post Address this user
Okay - easy question for you guys - not so easy for me.

I'm going to start a blog and want to have links to people I contact for accuracy and info.

Is there a problem if I have links to my sources?

Thanks all

Roger
Post 9 • IP   flag post
@RBishopSr

It's not usually a bad thing to have them on there, but when you're linking to them if you're actively talking to them ask if it's okay to link to them in your article. If it's just a website that you're linking to as a reference for your information like you would in a scholarly paper then there's not usually anyone you need to notify of the link.

If you're linking people that you've spoken to, always ask if you can use their name and such and if you can link to them. It's polite and they usually appreciate your asking.

If you mean on this site, by the blanket rule you can't.
Post 10 • IP   flag post
@RBishopSr

Yes, you can/should link to your sources when it makes sense.

Sadly sites get dropped and your links break.

Only link out to credible sources that you have tapped into.

But not here unless you have given me good reason to trust you and the sources you site.
Post 11 • IP   flag post
@RBishopSr it's important not to over do the links too. Some blogs have one in each line - drives me crazy.

What's your blog about, if you don't mind me asking.
Post 12 • IP   flag post
A link out to another site is the equivalent of saying AND ... this site agrees.

Imagine saying and and and and and and and ....
Post 13 • IP   flag post
@Clydeart It's hard, isn't it. You feel obliged to return the favor, but where does it stop!?
Post 14 • IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clydeart
Etsy store owners, like, fave, and follow one another.
@Clydeart

you get what you paid for ... or in this case you don't get nothing cuz you didn't pay for it....nor did they.
Post 15 • IP   flag post
Thanks for the quick responses.

I've already talked with the people I want to link to and they really like the idea. Especially since I offered to mention them, put their logo, etc. on at no charge for the first 6 months.

Thanks again

Roger
Post 16 • IP   flag post
Hi Susan

I haven't decided on a title yet. I'm collecting articles and the blog will be about problems that us everyday people run into.
Post 17 • IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by RBishopSr
Hi Susan

I haven't decided on a title yet. I'm collecting articles and the blog will be about problems that us everyday people run into.

How about every problem that us day people run into?
Post 18 • IP   flag post
@RBishopSr Well, we all need help each and every day regardless of who we are.

Starting blogging is easy, keeping up the momentum is difficult, continuing day after day is hard.

Then there's getting them formatted the right way so they get found by google.

I always write with two audiences in mind - my potential clients, Google, and my mom - oh, wait up that's three!

I am a bit crazy, I love writing and I pour out 2k to 3k words a day for myself and clients.

If you need any help just let me know.
Post 19 • IP   flag post
Hi Susan

Being a simple minded guy, I seldom refuse help.

Thanks for the offer - I may take you up on it.

Roger
Post 20 • IP   flag post
@RBishopSr I'd be more than happy to help
Post 21 • IP   flag post
29137 21 21
destitute