BillBelew.com
authorsCareer AdviceContent Creation

Writer's Block: The Blinking Cursor2337

Fizzymidas private msg quote post Address this user
Been suffering from writer's block for the past two days now. The words come at snail speed even after doing all necessary research.

I know we've got amazing writers in the house. Who's got helpful tips?
Post 1 • IP   flag post
Belew private msg quote post Address this user
@Fizzymidas

Google alerts.

Put whatever terms, ideas, words, topics that interest you in a Google alert.

If something online happens in that field ... you will get a notification ... or a bunch of them. Something will kick in. All you need to do is respond with your thoughts.
Post 2 • IP   flag post
KathrynLang private msg quote post Address this user
Writing tip #1 - there is no such thing as writer's block (it is just procrastination in a disguise).

Writing tip #2 - write for 10 minutes about how you aren't able to find anything to write about. Set a timeer.

Writing tip #3 - get with a buddy. Set a time and see who can write the most words in a set amount of time (we call these word wars and word sprints depending on their length).

Writing tip #4 - answer a post on a forum. By the time you get to tip #4 you realize you've almost written a full blog post.

Writing tip #5 - just say NO - tell the editor that he/she is not allowed out of the bottle until AFTER the piece is complete. This frees you up to just write the words. Crafting comes later.

Writing tip #6 - change directions. If you are struggling to get through a work piece, write some poetry. If you are struggling to get through a fiction story, write come creative non-fiction. The change in genre or niche often serves as the same type of "breath of fresh air" that you might get on vacation.

Writing tip #7 - change locations. If you have a laptop, take it into another room or to a local coffee show - or to a park if the weather will play nice. If you don't have a laptop, go old school. Grab a pad and an pencil and head on out that door. A vacation from the "work spot" can help the words become natural again.

The most important thing you have to do is to write - not lots of words or for a long time - but one sentence can set the words free.

JUST WRITE!
Post 3 • IP   flag post
Sab5151 private msg quote post Address this user
Hi Fizzy!

I love both previous answers.

For me ,I'm more a visual person so its where i need to go to stimulate my writing.

- I go on Pinterest and create a new board about the subject I want to write

- I create also visual board about feelings that I want to put in words

- I also take a piece of paper and write down words, just words all over the place. Most of the time, my visual brain start to see pattern or ways and help my writing to get out of me
Post 4 • IP   flag post
Rev private msg quote post Address this user
@Fizzymidas

Check you spam mail. You know, that mail you love to hate and mostly just delete. Pay attention to the subject lines and even open a few and check the content. Tons of post ideas hidden there -- and free!
Post 5 • IP   flag post
SusanDay private msg quote post Address this user
I never suffer from writer's block because I don't over think what I am doing... I just write.

Having said that @KathrynLang has laid out some great ideas in particular, but as @Sab5151 said, all the ideas are good here.
Post 6 • IP   flag post
Fizzymidas private msg quote post Address this user
Thanks so much everyone for the helpful tips. I'll keep them in mind and hope to have the juices flowing non-stop!
Post 7 • IP   flag post
Belew private msg quote post Address this user
Try your spam folder. There's always something there worth calling stupid ... but don't click thru. 8-)
Post 8 • IP   flag post
25145 8 8
destitute