BillBelew.com
AnalyticsBloggingSEO

True Measurement of a Website2338

KathrynLang private msg quote post Address this user
I was literally coming in the group to ask about visitors when I saw the thread on "bacon bringing" websites. My initial response was to add this to that thread, but it feels like it is a bit different so I started a new one.

I have a ten year old blog, full of content, but I do NOT get hits from google searches.

I have tried opitimizing for SEO, but obviously I'm doing it wrong (since I'm not getting the visits).

I suspect I have people getting the posts directly (since I have friends comment to me they are reading them and analytics shows views without a way they got there).

AND

I know that to get people to buy my books, I need to get more people to my site, but I can't seem to get this whole "find me" thing figured out. I can create the content for days, but when I'm talking to myself it gets kind of exhausting.

Social media shares drives a few visits, but not enough to justify the ads.

I know how to read the numbers - ALMOST.

How do I really get a deep measurement of my website so that I know where I need to be trimming, adding, or deleting to help people find me?
Post 1 • IP   flag post
Sab5151 private msg quote post Address this user
Hi Katryn,

I like the spelling of your name (out of context, I know).

I dont have a clue of your knowledge of the subject in general so I'll ask a couple of basic questions.

- Does your site is properly index with google (submission to Google via Webmaster tool)?
- If so, did you try recently to re-verify your website on Webmaster tool?
- Did you check when was the last time Google check your website? (look at cache = type your website name on google search without .com or whatever is your site) When you will find it, click to the little arrow under the link and choose "cache". That'll tell you exactly when the last time Google index you.
- Did you try to run SEO tool such as MOZbar or SEOquake?

Its very basic but again as I dont know you, its where I would look first.

Post 2 • IP   flag post
SusanDay private msg quote post Address this user
Assuming you have Google Analytics organic traffic is the best way to bring people to your site. It takes longer than paid advertising etc, but your great content will be there day after day working for you. It's the best and cheaper option too for long term success.
Post 3 • IP   flag post
Rev private msg quote post Address this user
@KathrynLang

Is this your site where I read, or another? If the former I'll check again and comment. If the latter, send me the URL in a private message.

The advice above is all good, but there may be some specific issue at hand that I can see if I look at the site.
Post 4 • IP   flag post
I'm talking about my site where you read @Rev.

I do have Google Analytics and I do have my pages indexing.

I figure I'm a few tweeks away from figuring this out.

Maybe I need to brew some more coffee!
Post 5 • IP   flag post
@KathrynLang

First issue I see is that your individual blog titles are being presented as a series of graphic images. This seems to be something theme specific. It's a cute technique but does nothing good and likely some bad for your SEO!

Might be time to look for a new theme.

There's more. But it goes beyond a solution that can be readily shared in a forum. It needs time and attention to detail.
Post 6 • IP   flag post
sigh -

So my next question would be what theme would work before for all I need to do AND still give me amazing SEO results
Post 7 • IP   flag post
There are lots of great themes available. I like Woo Canvas (commercial theme) which will allow you to keep the current look of your site. Divi (another commercial theme) with it's built in page builder is also a popular choice. There are numerous great free themes as well.
Post 8 • IP   flag post
Thanks to @Rev!

1. He taught me a great little tidbit for making sure the search engines are seeing all your hard work - and it didn't even require a plugin.

2. He encouraged me as I stayed up most of the night and rebuilt my website on a clean and simple theme.

I have no idea how long this has been such an issue, and I've asked folks on numerous occasions, so it just goes to show that you need to keep asking until you find the answer that makes the difference.
Post 9 • IP   flag post
Good for you, @KathrynLang. Your dedication and persistence, along with an amazing installed base of content, paid off! There's more to come as Google "rethinks" its indexing of your content but, now at least, you know you ARE being indexed. Bravo on a task completed!
Post 10 • IP   flag post
I still have a few tweeks I want to do - but I thnk it's a strong base
Post 11 • IP   flag post
Sadly - 10,000 unique visitors did not show up yet. I'm still optimistic though
Post 12 • IP   flag post
They didn't???
Post 13 • IP   flag post
27475 13 13
destitute