BillBelew.com
Teacher Rev private msg quote post Address this user
I remember hearing a story a long time ago about an older man sitting at the far end of a lunch counter in a small diner. As he was sipping his coffee a smartly dressed young woman hurried through the door and went directly to the payphone just beyond where the old man was sitting. She deposited a dime (told you it was a long time ago!) and dialed a number.

After a short pause someone obviously answered on the other end of the call. The young woman spoke into the phone, "Yes, hello. Do I understand you have a job opening in your mail room?" A short pause which must have produced a negative answer... "I see," the young wpman continued, "are you sure? I mean, well, if the position should become available..." Another pause. "Yes, hmmmm... well, is there any chance the girl that has the position might be leaving?" Pause "Well, OK. I understand. Thank you." and she hung up the phone.

The old man, sensing the young woman might be disappointed, spoke up, "I couldn't help overhearing. I'm sorry you didn't get the job. Maybe another day..."

"Oh, I've already got the job," the young woman said cheerily. "I was just checking."

Do you check every now and then to see how YOU are doing?

Post 1 • IP   flag post
Forum Owner Belew private msg quote post Address this user
@Rev

Great story!

When I was in Japan I used to call my own company up to see how my staff was doing with customer relations which would also give me insight into how I was doing.

No small task as I had to pass for a Japanese person who was wanting to learn English.
Post 2 • IP   flag post
Teacher Rev private msg quote post Address this user
Well, Bill, the English lessons seem to have turned out well! ;o)
Post 3 • IP   flag post
Member CJSHayward private msg quote post Address this user
I've managed to find an IT / teaching project that can wrap up successfully within two months. No, let me make that clearer: I was given the position out of the blue.

I know I have a lot to be thankful for.
Post 4 • IP   flag post
Forum Owner Belew private msg quote post Address this user
@Rev

I would say so! Surprisingly, I was often told "Your English is pretty good."

"Well, yeah. I have been speaking it for 30,40 or 50 years." Depending on the time I answered.

I was quite often mistaken as someone who was Japanese and learned English rather than the other way around ... a native English speaker who learned Japanese.
Post 5 • IP   flag post
Member RogerBruner private msg quote post Address this user
Love it! Like checking the obituaries to make sure we're not listed there, but in reverse. *LOL*
Post 6 • IP   flag post
28286 6 6
destitute