BillBelew.com
authorsbook marketingFeedback

How to make book Publishing profitable2380

Member Happytweeting private msg quote post Address this user
Hi, I am a new author of my first book. And I find it much easier to introduce other authors and their books than my own. And I am hoping to learn how to make my book publishing more effective.
Thank you.
Post 1 • IP   flag post
Member numoquest private msg quote post Address this user
I find it a thrill to read 'Teasers' of films and books and find out if film or book is of my liking or not. On the other hand I have understand, from 'like thinkers', author and movie maker are able to adjust their commercial endeavor into the word of their 'product'.

Though I am far from commerce, I recognize such approach and formula to my taste. Perhaps this could help?

Ciao,

RC
Post 2 • IP   flag post
Member KathrynLang private msg quote post Address this user
@happytweeting - writing the book is probably the easiest part of the journey (which is saying a LOT because writing is hard work).

First - I think it's important that you have a business plan for your publishing. This will help you hone in on what you want, what you expect, and what you are positioned to invest. Include SMART goals and a SWOT analysis.

Second - most people in the industry suggest that you need at least five books within a single genre/niche to build a living wage from the income (of course this will have a lot to do with what you consider a living wage).

Finally - always go with the two most important elements of marketing. 1. Create lasting connections with people (build and invest in your platform); 2. Focus on being relentlessly helpful.

Although it is not anywhere near everything, it is a solid foundation for growing up your writing success.
Post 3 • IP   flag post
Teacher Winsome1 private msg quote post Address this user
@happytweeting Welcome! Platform building is the hardest part. The sooner you begin, the better chance you have to make money from your book. If you want to learn more, check out our Facebook group for writers. https://www.facebook.com/groups/888250627917216/

Juliet
Post 4 • IP   flag post
Thank you Numoquest, KathrynLang and Winsome1 for your valuable information on building platform first, I completely agree.
Right now I am trying to complete my author website maybe you have some extra things to add to make it special. Thank you.
Post 5 • IP   flag post
@happytweeting - I highly recommend you make your brand obvious when it comes to building your author site. People usually want to learn about you and not just see your books for sale.

Make it personable - so have information about you and your writing journey in your about page.
Post 6 • IP   flag post
A very precious advise! Thank you.
Post 7 • IP   flag post
Member tienny private msg quote post Address this user
@KathrynLang How can I improve my site on this? My site can be viewed at http://Tienny.com.
Post 8 • IP   flag post
Teacher SusanDay private msg quote post Address this user
@Happytweeting Hi, it's great to meet you.

@KathrynLang has hit the nail on the head in the above post. I am an author of 16 books and marketing them is so much more difficult that writing them.

Any groups which can help you, as @Winsome1 suggests are great.

One of the things that has kept me going for seven years now is learning how to blog to my audience, and building great sales funnels on my website.
Post 9 • IP   flag post
Member aspringsteen42 private msg quote post Address this user
Writing is a tough challenge, marketing is even tougher. I'm finding that out as my first self published book Awakening Dreams has come out. You want to get it out there but you don't want to be too pushy either. You have to find the right avenues and ways to market it successfully. I've found a wealth of information and sources online that have been helpful. Digital Book Girl on Facebook will promote your book to about 400 followers for free. There are other websites that can get your book out to thousands for a small fee as well. Even with all that being done, there is still no guarantee that someone will buy it.

In any case, its a great feeling to be an author of a book regardless if it sells one copy or a million.
Post 10 • IP   flag post
Forum Owner Belew private msg quote post Address this user
My daughter and I were talking abt product creation (writing a book is an example) and getting users (readers for books is an example).

I asked her which she thought was harder.

"Getting users/readers," she said.

She's 9-yrs old and has already figured out where the challenges are.
Post 11 • IP   flag post
Haha! You need to have her talk to the authors I speak to daily who think writing is the most difficult part!
Post 12 • IP   flag post
@belew I agree with your daughter.
Post 13 • IP   flag post
@Winsome1 I think most writers think writing is the hard part because they haven't tackled the rest yet

Writing is tough . . . but it only gets harder from there.
Post 14 • IP   flag post
Teacher Rev private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynLang
Writing is tough . . . but it only gets harder from there.

You betcha, Red Rider!
Post 15 • IP   flag post
@kathrynLang I agree. When I bring people into my programs when they begin their writing, they get the feel for how difficult audience building can be, However, when they have an audience to launch to, it is really exciting. The journey is difficult but the rewards are worth it!
Post 16 • IP   flag post
Building products or building audiences/users... which is harder?
Post 17 • IP   flag post
I would say building an audience. The old saying goes "You can lead a horse to water but you can't make it drink." You can create an awesome product but building an audience requires some "to the grindstone" marketing to get it out there.

With that said, not everyone has the ingenuity to create a project whether that is an invention, a book or a painting. If you have the talent, I would say it's harder to reach audiences.
Post 18 • IP   flag post
@aspringsteen42

I have been on both sides ... creating a product, building a business, writing a book and such ... and on the building an audience, getting users, buyers ...

Both are essential ... but I have found the latter to be more difficult.

Getting people to hand over money ... even legitimately ... is a slog.

Everyone expects something for nothing. Why do you think that is?
Post 19 • IP   flag post
My own feelings as to why everyone wants something for nothing is that we live in a day and age where everyone is spoiled. Growing up, I had to earn things. If I wanted an allowance I took out the trash, washed dishes and mowed the yard. Nowadays if you say allowance, kids don't care. The parents will get it for them anyways. Technology is ruining us too. Everyone is plugged into their cell phones and tablets. There's no human interaction. There's just me, me and more me. What can you do for me? What do I gain from this? I don't want to brag but I'm not that way. I do things sometimes for people for free and ask nothing in return. That's different than "you have to get me this" with selfish intentions. I do it to bless people and maybe they will pay it forward. Truthfully I feel our world is falling apart in a lot of ways.
Post 20 • IP   flag post
I don't know about the falling apart ... maybe ore maybe not but it is beyond the scope here to be sure.

I am asking about getting money (legitimately, of course) from folks.

Building products is something we can do on our own (more or less).

Building a user base you need to depend on the actions of others.

One we can do if we just do it. The other we need the actions of others ... uncontrollable.

Kudos to you for being the sharing type ... not many of those folks around anymore ... though we have quite a few here in the forum.
Post 21 • IP   flag post
I totally agree with you...building a project just requires us to not be lazy and do it. Building a user base is dependent on others. How do you do that without being pushy? How do you do it when you know they will probably want something in return?

My sharing and who I am is attributed to my parents and older mentors who cared to raise me right. Wasn't always the greatest kid, but now that I am older I understand and am thankful for all they did for me.
Post 22 • IP   flag post
If you offer, or make available something that you know is good for someone ... is that being pushy? I don't think so.

If I have something that can honestly make a difference in another person's life ... for the better, of course, then shame on me if I do NOT let them know.

I don't consider it kind to share, I consider it essential.

I don't consider it necessary to have to ask other people for money. I consider it necessary for them to invest in learning or they really won't take serious or act on what they might learn from me.

Does that make sense?
Post 23 • IP   flag post
Very good points. I guess the area I lack the most is not being willing to sell myself. I tend to shy away and play to my humility rather than pushing my product out there.
Post 24 • IP   flag post
@aspringsteen42

If you have something that can improve people's lives, it's not selling. It's giving.

If you can do 'it' whatever 'it' is, it's not bragging or lacking in humility, it's sharing.

We call it one beggar telling another beggar where to find bread.
Post 25 • IP   flag post
Student TParker private msg quote post Address this user
My personal observation is that people no longer pay for just information or just a product. Which now that I think about it, really isn't a new development. The best marketers have always sold the benefits, not the features.

Modern purchasers are much more focused on immediate benefit over pure ownership. For example, everyone once wanted a car at 16. And-- the type of car you had from that moment forward defined you to some extent. It was an important possession. (Houses, clothing, etc. mattered too.)

Now, the focus is on how can this item serve me in the moment. They don't buy a car, they call an Uber. They don't invest in one house, they travel the world and rent. Even clothing and accessories can be rented and returned.

For people marketing information -- how many are really sharing something new and unheard of? Most of us are sharing a combination of knowledge gained from many sources, sometimes paired with personal experience and application. But the information can be gained elsewhere.

If you are purchasing information from me, then it is because I've presented and packaged it in such a way that it is easier, faster, or more entertaining for you to get from me than to collect yourself. That is a reasonable and viable decision.

I've made purchases for that reason. It is easier for me to pay $X for Justin Jackson to tell me how to market products via his video series than for me to do the research myself.
I pay Readitfor.me to curate and summarize books for me rather than sift through the available publications and choose my own. I pay for deli prepared food rather than cook my own. This is the modern application of division of labor principles.

The question is no longer, "What do you have that I can't get without you?" Now, consumers ask "Why is buying from you better than doing it myself?"
Post 26 • IP   flag post
@aspringteen42 I can resonate with you. Recently, I feel stuck with the product I believe in. Someone says not good enough. Another person says good work. Later on, I realize that there is some changes I need to work on. Recently, my friend highlighted the differences between tortoise and turtle. Now I feel so stuck in the product improvement myself. As if I am the omega illustrator.
Post 27 • IP   flag post
29137 27 27
destitute