BillBelew.com
Brainstorming

Building a Membership Site2385

KathrynLang private msg quote post Address this user
I am hosting a writing conference this week - and I have already been asked about membership into the group.

It is an idea I have played with but never actively pursued.

My question is what is the best/better routes for creating membership only content on a website? Would it be best to create a members only website or can I create pages within the existing site that would only be accessible by members?

Let me add that this will be a site for working writers and creatives.
Post 1 • IP   flag post
meshea01 private msg quote post Address this user
It might be more cost-effective to create pages within your existing site that are accessible by members only.
Good luck!
Meshea
Post 2 • IP   flag post
alaceypayne private msg quote post Address this user
Hey Kathryn! I'm launching a community similar to yours soon. I've done quite a bit of research on the subject. From what I have gathered, it seems there are no wrong or right ways to set it up, but how you market it will be important.
Post 3 • IP   flag post
Rev private msg quote post Address this user
@KathrynLang

Both @meshea01 and @alaceypayne are correct. And while there are no (few, anyway) wrong ways, at lot of grief can be avoided by thinking it through in the planning stages. You already know this conceptually, and here is a real-world place to put it to the test.

Consider how you might grow your membership over time and select a plugin (or combination) that will support that expansion. While you may only need to protect content on a few pages (great plugin choices for this) you may find you want to offer training, drip-feed content, deliver downloads, and more as your membership group grows and you come up with more ideas. A few good plugins work for the minimal beginnings but allow you to scale over time as well.

My personal choice for all my own membership sites, and most of those I build for clients, is S2Member Framework. While seeming a little complex for meager beginnings, it will serve you well no matter how large or complex your ideas become. And the price is right.
Post 4 • IP   flag post
Thanks for the insight, Rev. I'm going to launch my group on facebook because I feel it will be easier to catch attention on a platform everyone is already using. However, the protected content, such as videos, and other resources will be on my website and only available by registering with a password.

We will have writers and other industry professionals such as editors, cover designers, publishers, etc. I'm launching at $1.00 per month for the first 60-90 days, and anyone who gets in then will have their price locked in. I'm not sure what it will go up to, as it's been suggested I charge 30.00 per month to keep it exclusive, and also not to de-value my coaching services. What do you think?
Post 5 • IP   flag post
@alaceypayne

It's a plan -- which is more than most people have. If you've thought it through, and it's what you need,you're good to go.
Post 6 • IP   flag post
morrnel private msg quote post Address this user
I belong to a couple of facebook groups and find it gets too intermingled with my other stuff. because of that i spend very little time in them. remember, whatever you put on facebook becomes mark's property. Consider a private/public forum as an option. that is how bill's forum here is set up. nice part about a forum is that your members can one-on-one to each other without getting in your way.
Post 7 • IP   flag post
I'll gladly take questions on membership site issues in today's open (public, free) classroom session at 3pm CT (4pm ET, 1pm PT)

Date/Time: Wednesdays, 3:00 pm CT (4pm ET, 1pm PT)
Link: https://zoom.us/j/673163244
Telephone: +1 408-638-0968 - Meeting ID: 673-163-244
Post 8 • IP   flag post
I missed the class today. Too bad. I'd have gotten a lot out of it. I think I've got a reasonably solid business model outlined, but as anyone, I never stop learning from others and adjusting according to the needs of my clients. This is a wildly new venture for me but I'm up to the challenge.
Post 9 • IP   flag post
@morrnel

I agree. facebook isn't designed for this kind of in-depth engagement. Even in groups it's too easy for things to get off topic or just buried.

@alaceypayne

Sorry you missed. Next week!
Post 10 • IP   flag post
25145 10 10
destitute