BillBelew.com
BloggingSEO Advice

How to get organic visitors to my site ...2390

Member KathrynLang private msg quote post Address this user
I can attend all the webinars in the world about funneling, dripping, and marketing - but if I'm not getting the people to my website to start with then it doesn't matter.

I know the basics:

1. be social
2. go where your target is now
3. content consistency
4. SEO

But if the results are not happening (and I mean the organic searches) then how do I figure out what I am missing?

OR

If I am measuring my results - how long do I need to wait for the changes to begin?
Post 1 • IP   flag post
Forum Owner Belew private msg quote post Address this user
@KathrynLang

Great question ... here's my answer.

Read on below the img.

Much depends on how hard you work AND how big your market is as well as how big your competition is.

You need 400 good solid posts written over the course of 6-9 months ... results vary depending on ... size of market and your competition.

Does this help?
Post 2 • IP   flag post
I understand "NORMALLY" this would be the way it would work. But you will soon discover I have moved so far from normal that I need a telescope.

My blog is 10 years old. My content has always been a focus on encouragement with a scattering of writing and family. About seven years ago, I made the writing a separate blog altogether. About three years ago, I made the family a separate blog altogether.

So I have the HOPE site - and the world needs more hope, right. I researched keywords that were low in competition but high in search and then crafted hope/encouragement content around them.

I say that no matter what I have done - changed themes, rebuilt the website, posted or not posted - my unique visits (according to google analytics) has remained around 2 to 10. I have had a few spikes in the 20's.

So - I need to know if I am doing something wrong or if I am aimed at the wrong target. Is there a magic way to determine this?
Post 3 • IP   flag post
@KathrynLang

Yes, if you have done that much work and have sites with that much history and that number of posts....I'd say that the market is not there...or ppl simply aren't searching for the solution you think you are providing.

Hope is too generic. Hope in the faith of grief, hope when facing a broken family, hope when dealing with job loss....

Long tail keyword phrases will perform better than 1 or 2 word keyword phrases.

Who is your target?
Post 4 • IP   flag post
My target: Married – overwhelmed – seeking a deeper spiritual life – tired or exhausted from trying to do it all – frustrated that what is being done doesn’t seem to be working – enjoys playing with words, song lyrics or movie references – likes to laugh – not at the place or position or even sure what it might look like – not afraid of faith – actively invested or seeking a deeper spiritual life. 35 - 60

Some of the keywords I use: joy sharing, positive thoughts, quote of the day, proverbs woman, inspiration, encourage, bible verses. I put words and phrases in the keyword tool and then used it to find the low competition/high search volume keywords and phrases.
Post 5 • IP   flag post
@KathrynLang

Still too broad, IMHO.

Okay, way too broad.

joy sharing, positive thoughts ... too fluffy.

Nobody ever searched - I want to learn joy sharing.

If you go for low competition you will get low resuts.

Joy sharing, positive thoughts, proverbs woman,

These are all 2 word phrases. 1 and 2 word phrases make up less than 20% of all searches. That is, only 2 out of 10 people will put just 2 words in search. You are missing out on a lot of ppl.

3-word and 4-word searches make up 75% of all search queries.

Be more specific in your terms and you will be found for both the long phrases AND the short ones.

Does this help?
Post 6 • IP   flag post
Teacher Rev private msg quote post Address this user
Also, we want to think of how words are used by the people doing the searching.

For example, @KathrynLang suggests the word encourage as one of her regular keywords. Quickly think of how that specific word would be used when searching for something...

can someone encourage me

who will encourage me

Or would people be more likely to ask,

where can I find encouragement

I need encouragement

top encouragement coach

anyone provide encouragement

"Encourage" in any form is a tough word anyway but people aren't searching for what you write, they are searching for what they need and, while what you write might speak to their needs, does it actually mention the need itself? That is the keyword people will search.
Post 7 • IP   flag post
finding encouragement when ....

needing encouragement after ....

giving encouragement because ....
Post 8 • IP   flag post
Okay - so with build an SEO keyword phrase page - google always gives me one and two word phrases - rarely the longer phrases. I always look for those that google says is being searched over 10,000 per month but has low competition. Is that not right?

So, for instance - on March 12, 2017, the keyword phrase (according to google) encouraging words has low competition and 10K searches a month.

Is google lying to me?
Post 9 • IP   flag post
@KathrynLang

How's it bit working for you thus far?

If it works...stay with it.
Post 10 • IP   flag post
@KathrynLang

Google isn't lying to you, but they are only showing you part of the picture. Just what does "low competition" mean? Compared to what? How does your site fit into that situation?

And, while one or two word keywords work well, three, four, or five word phrases work even better.

Remember what I said earlier about EVERY keyword on your page getting indexed, not just the one(s) you pick to focus on. So, if you have encouraging words you will be found for searches involving encouraging, encouraging words, and words, but if you extend that to four words you will be found for searches involving all combinations .

Order doesn't matter here, so don't count the same words in different orders. I'm not going to work it out manually, but with 4 you get 15 combinations, I think, or is it with 4 you get egg roll, I forget. But you get the idea. More words, especially words that work together as an actual key phrase, the more chances you get to be found.

Now, how well you will place in the SERPs for each of those chances comes down to other things, especially authority, or relevance, of your content.
Post 11 • IP   flag post
@Rev - I like egg rolls

Google keyword planner doesn't have the long stream - or a way to search for them. I'm going to play with hubspot and see if that helps (you get a free trial).

I will be working on honing my focus at the conference the next two days - so I will be ready to invest in some heavy spring cleaning this weekend!

Thanks
Post 12 • IP   flag post
@KathrynLang

Don't know where you are physically.

I just scheduled a Meetup to answer this question ... it can be viewed remotely ... if that's your thing.

CASE STUDY - How We Increased Organic Traffic 30X in 30 Days in Sports Industry
Post 13 • IP   flag post
Member MikeG private msg quote post Address this user
@KathrynLang

Your blog is 10 years old it should have traffic. I'm hoping you aren't relying on Google Planner by itself.

I'm taking it that you have analyzed your competition for your keywords? If not, then this almost alone will get you moving on the right track.

Overdoing it on SEO will kill your site. I just go really lite on exact Kewords while concentrating on the LSI more so.

What kind of links coming to your site? The age of your site it shouldn't matter, but if anything bad can be a strike against you.

There are some tricks I've used on just about all my sites, but no one has mentioned them here so I won't get into them unless you ask.

I have built thousands of websites over the many years and one thing I did that saved me a ton of time and energy is I asked Google. I harassed them so much I think they just started moving me and my clients sites along just to shut me up. I learned more from them than anyone.

Using Google and Bing credits can be a big help along with creating simple videos. Make sure the transcript has your keywords it and use all the share social sites below the video as well.

I can go on for about a month on this...
Post 14 • IP   flag post
@MikeG

I am interested to learn some of your 'tricks.'

I have no tricks. All i know is stubborn persistence and even that does not always work.
Post 15 • IP   flag post
Member teddy private msg quote post Address this user
Maybe your target audience and the keywords don't match. Usually, people are searching hope, encouragement and deeper spiritual life when they are in some dreadful situation but the age 35 -60 is too broad these are at least two groups of different people.
Post 16 • IP   flag post
Teacher SusanDay private msg quote post Address this user
@KathrynLang What a great question!
Post 17 • IP   flag post
Teacher SusanDay private msg quote post Address this user
@KathrynLang If your market ate people searching for a better life what is wrong with their life now? If I were you I would focus on issues and problems your visitors have and offer them your solution. For example I write for a client who is naturopath. I target health issues and then offer her solutions. Are you looking at the problems people have? I think that's what people would be searching for rather than hope all guidance.
Post 18 • IP   flag post
Member morrnel private msg quote post Address this user
@KathrynLang,
Perhaps your vocabulary isn't matching your target market. Have you taken the time to sit down with a friend who fits the demographic and had a conversation with her? there is a big difference between the word "encouragement" and "comfort" or "praise". 4 vs. 2 vs. 1 syllable.

Perhaps record the conversation and listen to the phrases she uses to describe herself. What kind of books do they read? Get a sense of their vocabulary. Do they talk like high school grads, PhD's or somewhere in between.

When my daughter was 5-7 years old, she would mimic the words I used. Also vs. too. She used big words and understood them while the typical 5 year old of a high school grad would not use the same vocab. That all changed when entering school and teachers used baby talk.
Post 19 • IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeG
I have built thousands of websites over the many years

How did you build so many sites? That's a lot.
Post 20 • IP   flag post
@KathrynLang

If you want more people to come to your web site, give them more AND better reasons to come.

More will beat less.

Better will beat poor.

Too many people focus on giving too few reasons for people to come and when they get there, they are treated poorly.
Post 21 • IP   flag post
@Belew

I'm a little shy about using the term "thousands" for the number of sites I've built, but I've been at that part of the game for about 25 years now and I've probably averaged somewhere between 50 and 100 sites per year -- at my busiest I was doing more than 3 sites a week -- so that puts my total somewhere between 1250 and 2500, I think. That probably just edges into being "thousands". Maybe @MikeG did even more.
Post 22 • IP   flag post
Member JelenaBB private msg quote post Address this user
@KathrynLang thank you for this topic! It is something that I need to learn also.
A lot of great answers here! Thank you.
Post 23 • IP   flag post
29624 23 23
destitute