BillBelew.com
Business Advice

Can you guarantee conversions? I can't.2398

Forum Owner Belew private msg quote post Address this user
I heard it again. Why isn't my product/service selling?

Why aren't you sending me better qualified people?

Search, land, lots of time on site, pages turned, imho, is qualified people.

But they aren't buying!! Why not?

Can you guarantee conversions?

Tell me how you do it.
Post 1 • IP   flag post
Member ChuckNolan private msg quote post Address this user
Real sales is detective work, where we are looking for the person with a need that we can offer to solve. In some situations, people come up to us and ask us for assistance, but frequently the better paying sales jobs require that we talk to very large numbers of people to find the very few that actually have a need for the solution that we have to offer.
While sales management focuses on the selling situation and environment, real marketing attempts to find ways to make the search for needs more efficient. Marketing should monitor the effectiveness of various methods and advise the sales team of what statistics tend to apply.
Trying to sell a product or service without being fully confident that it benefits the customer is simply the crime of fraud. Lazy sales people blindly pushing products get poor results and almost always quit, blaming everyone but themselves for their failures.
Post 2 • IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChuckNolan
Lazy sales people blindly pushing products get poor results and almost always quit, blaming everyone but themselves for their failures.

Yup, yup.
Post 3 • IP   flag post
Teacher Rev private msg quote post Address this user
Many years ago I took a sales position with a small protective security company located in the Niagara Region of Southern Ontario, Canada. I was sent to Niagara Falls to meet with insurance companies and lawyers to quote on security for the Kimberly Clark building which had been the recipient of a multi-floor collapse on (if I remember correctly) New Year's Eve and which had resulted in several employee deaths.

In what to me was an unusual situation, the key players and representatives of four other companies (all much larger than my employer's) met in a large ballroom at a local hotel to present the quotes publicly and receive either acceptance or rejection. No sealed bids, no private pitch sessions.

I entered this arena carrying with me my boss's advice, "Don't work too hard at it. I'm just sending you to show the colors. We won't be able to compete with the big companies that will be there." Encouraging.

I watched as the other four sales reps maneuvered and fought to be the lowest bidder in order to get the contract. This was a story with long legs when it came to publicity and it would bode well for marketing exposure for the company who got the account. They wanted it. Badly. You could almost smell it. The tension was palpable.

I held back and when they were all done, I stood up. My opening salvo was, "You can't provide security for the price quoted by these others, nor can they deliver adequate security with the number of guards and other facilities they claim the will engage -- even if at a loss. The fact is, you need three times what they suggest, and it's going to cost more," and I followed on with an outline of my plan, complete with 3 times the assets and at a little over 4 times the price of the highest bidder among the others.

We broke for lunch while the stake holders considered what they had seen and then gathered again to hear the outcome.

Late that afternoon, I went back to my boss to update him on what had transpired. He nodded knowingly as I told him pretty much what I wrote above. When I ended he said something soothing -- I can't remember his exact words -- and encouraging, but sounding somewhat final. I stood up to leave his office, at which point I tossed an envelop on his desk.

My resignation? Nope. The signed contract for the exact plan I had laid out and at the price I quoted.

Sometimes (most times in my experience) you do better with what's right than with what sounds good.
Post 4 • IP   flag post
Teacher SusanDay private msg quote post Address this user
@ChuckNolan Well said!
Post 5 • IP   flag post
@Rev That's a great story and you tell it well. I was really hooked
Post 6 • IP   flag post
My 2c worth -if you honestly believe that you have something of quality to offer then clients will come. Even on online it comes down to self belief.
Post 7 • IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rev
you do better with what's right than with what sounds good.

Love it!
Post 8 • IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by SusanDay
something of quality to offer then clients will come
= inbound marketing at its best.
Post 9 • IP   flag post
29985 9 9
destitute