BillBelew.com
Brainstorming

What 'gatekeeper' is hampering you?2408

Forum Owner Belew private msg quote post Address this user
Got a book but nobody will publish you?

Got a song but nobody will pick it up?

Got art but nobody will display it?

Who feels hampered by lack of access to a gatekeeper?
Post 1 • IP   flag post
Teacher Rev private msg quote post Address this user
Publish it yourself.

Record it yourself.

Display it yourself.

Are you the gatekeeper who's holding you back?

With the Internet, literally at your fingertips, a functional website, and the reach and exposure you can gain by applying what you can learn in this forum, you can do all of these things yourself. Who's making excuses now?
Post 2 • IP   flag post
Getting 'em up is easy.

Getting 'em out is the hard part.

How do you get the word out?
Post 3 • IP   flag post
Member rufus222 private msg quote post Address this user
My gatekeeper experience is not normal, but as a faith-based group, it's definitely been a God thing.

For several years, I just talked with Indian friends about what keeps primarily Hindus from Jesus. The more they talked the more I noticed a troubling pattern - the alienating issues where not things Jesus had anything to do with.

So I started teaching and discussing those issues with Indians, and later in US audiences. Over a few years, as I noticed patterns in the questions and challenges, it coalesced into a more formal outline and discussion of Christian Barriers to Jesus.

Everywhere I presented these ideas, people said, "You need to write a book and get these insights disseminated more broadly." So I began researching and networking to do that.

I intentionally connected with key researchers and practitioners who were exploring creative alternatives. That opened up new networks of connections. One of the strongest advocates for my book is a man in India who leads a network of Christ-followers who are Hindus culturally and socially, and won't ever be Christians.

I speak about these issues regularly at conferences and have developed a growing platform and interest from that in the broader evangelical world.

I was preparing to pitch my book to publishers in the fall of 2015 when it was still a very rough draft. I presented a paper at the Evangelical Missiological Society on the Christian barriers. At the end of a Saturday, my 35 minute slot shrunk to only 20 minutes, but I intentionally nailed the key points to a packed room (not sure why those 40 people came). The next hour I discussed the presentation with a line of people who would not leave. That opened doors that continue to build connections today.

The gatekeeper thing happened at supper. My wife and I were eating, and a man sat down across from us. He introduced himself as Chief Editor of William Carey Library. Then he asked, "What would it take for us to publish your book?" I asked him, "What would it take?" So he gave me next steps for pitching the idea.

That was September, 2015. Tomorrow, I send the cleaned up final manuscript back after their typesetting edits for the final processing and printing in May.

What doesn't show up here is the prayer that often went into who I needed to meet, how I needed to craft the message to make it understandable and relevant to ordinary people. I can't fully explain the number of God-ordained connections that took place without my planning or organization between 2010 when I first heard these issues, and 2015 when Jeff Minard sat down across the table and graciously took a risk with my book after only hearing me speak for 20 minutes.

Part of it is the tone in which I present. And I've been told that my presentation of these ideas helps ordinary believers understand and resonate with ideas often kept locked up in theological and missiological obscurity.

In summary, start where you are, find the first gatekeeper you need to connect with and prayerfully seek to initiate that contact. Then prayerfully work with that one to the next.

For instance, I knew from the moment I read my Hindu Christ-followers book, Living Water and Indian Bowl, that we needed to meet and I needed to learn from him. But it took nearly two years, and four other connections before he graciously gave us three full days to discuss India's resistance and challenge with him face to face with no distractions.

My spiritual gift is "networking." If I can help brainstorm these ideas or opportunities with others, I'd be glad to.
Post 4 • IP   flag post
@rufus222

Great story.

I am a lousy networker and woule be happy to take you up on your offer.

Where do we start?
Post 5 • IP   flag post
Member rufus222 private msg quote post Address this user
Margaret and I are coming to a gathering at Frontier Ventures in Pasadena in early June. We are on a tight schedule after it ends May 5, but could possibly connect face-to-face prior to the start (Jun 2), possibly May 31 or June 1.

We could start by Skyping and let me get a better sense of who you know and what obstacles you've experienced. Thursday-Saturday this week could work. The following week is open through Thursday. After that it's tight until the last week of April.
Post 6 • IP   flag post
May 5 I am assuming is a typo and should be June 5.

So, if I made the jaunt (I am in NorCal) to Pasadena ...

I am game.

This Thursday works for me ... late evening for you is early evening for me.

When's your pleasure?
Post 7 • IP   flag post
@rufus222

I had a very similar experience to you ... I think ... when I served as a missionary in Japan and talked with my Japanese friends, would-be Christians, Christians and never-will-be Christians ... as well as with many of the veteran missionaries who chose to ignore me.

I am wondering if the experiences you are having really are similar ... or not.

When does that book come out?
Post 8 • IP   flag post
Member KathrynLang private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rev

OUCH! That smarted @Rev - mainly because it hit right on top of the lessons I took away from the conference.

You have the time. You have what it takes. You have the resources.

Maybe it won't happen when you want or how you want or even be what you expected - but the only thing . . . the only person holding you back is YOU!
Post 9 • IP   flag post
@KathrynLang Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynLang
the only person holding you back is YOU!
is the first big obstacle.

The 2nd big obstacle ... the know-how.

3rd ... confusion over the how resulting in lack of focus.

4th ... isolation / lack of camaraderie ...
Post 10 • IP   flag post
Member morrnel private msg quote post Address this user
let's see here....
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rev

Yep, that's real.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Belew
The 2nd big obstacle ... the know-how.
3rd ... confusion over the how resulting in lack of focus.
4th ... isolation / lack of camaraderie ...

See obstacle one. These are not obstacles.
Know-how: learn
Lack of focus: get focused
camaraderie: ask for help, network
Post 11 • IP   flag post
Member tienny private msg quote post Address this user
Quality result is my greatest gatekeeper.
Post 12 • IP   flag post
@Belew

I would add to your list

5th ... the overwhelm that catches up to you when experiencing #s 2 through 4.

I find the biggest obstacle faced by my new clients is their feeling of overwhelm. It as its roots in lack of know-how, lack of focus, and lack of support.

A big part of what I do is providing the know-how, honing the focus, and being the support they need.
Post 13 • IP   flag post
@morrnel

Quote:
Originally Posted by morrnel
See obstacle one. These are not obstacles.
Know-how: learn
Lack of focus: get focused
camaraderie: ask for help, network

Absolutely. And the big one is asking for help. So many of us (me too!) have difficulty with that. We think we can put all the pieces together on our own and so we don't ask. Pride?

I learned a long time ago that I needed friends, guides, mentors, coaches... and I needed to find the good ones who could help. Motivation was important. So was tech. I needed to learn my craft, completely. I needed to learn what I was doing and I needed to learn at least enough of what those around me were doing so I could know if I was getting the right information and the help I really needed.

I, too, must have done (am doing) something right because I make my entire living online and I love what I'm doing. Tough to beat that!

And a big part of what I do is showing others how to do the same thing -- in their own area of interest.
Post 14 • IP   flag post
@tienny

Quote:
Originally Posted by tienny
Quality result is my greatest gatekeeper.

There is an expression, "Don't let perfect be the enemy of good!"

It may be that the word "enough" belongs on the end of that. Many of us like to strive for perfection, and that's not a bad concept. It may, however, not be the best idea in practice.

For example, don't worry about perfect blog posts until you are easily writing ENOUGH of them. It's the words, the message, the concept, you are getting across that matters more. Yes, good grammar, good spelling, etc. matter. And you need to work towards those things, but not posting until you know you can write perfect posts is working towards NOTHING!

Having a perfect website is an admirable goal. Having a good website and posting regular good posts is more realistic and will still move your forward.

Doing nothing won't.
Post 15 • IP   flag post
@Rev

We are experiencing students in overwhelm at our ongoing class here, eh?
Post 16 • IP   flag post
@Rev

That dang focus thing.

I just got booked to speak at a conference on the right coast. Instead of thinking, "Great! Let's do this!" I started thinking, "What else can I do while I on that side of the country?"
Post 17 • IP   flag post
Miami is calling. Then there's that Boston trip that I can move the date ... and that group in NC was asking about my availability ...

I have never been able to do just one thing.
Post 18 • IP   flag post
@Belew

More than one thing is fine... in fact, it's often necessary. Just make sure there is a reasonable thread linking them.
Post 19 • IP   flag post
Member tienny private msg quote post Address this user
@Rev Thanks for your kind concern and to learn to use the word "enough".
Post 20 • IP   flag post
29624 20 20
destitute