authorsbook marketing

New writer need help turning story into book2420

Member Jonny private msg quote post Address this user

Post 1 • IP   flag post
Member KathrynLang private msg quote post Address this user
What kind of help are you looking for?
Post 2 • IP   flag post
Well, at the moment he story is kinda scribbled across pages & pages of art paper,with some sketches etc. I really wrote it as it happened in ideas initially so I didn't just forget the whole thing & move on. I have opened the laptop to type it up but seem to have difficulties in sitting down to it. This isn't unusual. I guess if someone who knew what they were doing Could take a look & give pointers so I know I'm not wasting my time I'd be more encouraged. I kinda know where I want to go with it. I can add more content if it needs bulking out. I didn't find Literature too encouraging at scool let's say. The first story I ever wrote was fairly aggressively red penned & things never got any better from that point. If fact they got a.lot worse as I aged & began to rebel. To have actually writ ten a story down & kept at it until its at this here - well - even I'm surprised. Guess when confidence is knocked hard at a young age it can become a barrier in later life.. Cheers.
Post 3 • IP   flag post
Teacher Rev private msg quote post Address this user
@Jonny

Having an idea, several ideas, even a story, doesn't mean you have a book. But you may have the soul of a book that just needs to be formalized.

It looks to me like you are going to need an editor as you progress. You likely need someone to help with timeline and connectivity. You may even need a ghost writer if you can't get beyond the bits and pieces.

What kind of budget do you have for this?

Is the artwork above yours?
Post 4 • IP   flag post
Hi David
Many thanks for replying. I started a limited company over a year ago. I have 1 asset on the EasT Yorkshire coast - Rasparilla Diner I'm on FB if you wanted to have a gander. We were recently flooded out but are almost ready to reopen. The pink Gorilla is my mascot and also the protagonist of my story. There is a flow & story line - she is on her way to our beach as far as this branding picture is concerned. It has been produced by my Artist cousin & I have full rights. She will also illustrate the young children's version. I'd like different styles of art in the young adults version such as manga/anime and japenese modern/traditional. There's a reason for this that the story makes clear. Budgets have not been set at present as I prefer to assess costs & then source funD's either through personal financing or through business funding. I also have a branded raspberry craft cider being produced for me at a very low cost.. (swings and roundabouts arrangement). Hows this sound so far? One of the aims of the book sale is to raise awareness of the plight of gorillas in the wild & help raise funds for the Dian Fossey fund. Thankyou for your interest so far.
Post 5 • IP   flag post
I also want to help bring people to my town as an attraction.
Post 6 • IP   flag post

Post 7 • IP   flag post
The way to turn this into a book is to lay out the images in the order you want and then write out the story - from start to finish.

Connecting people to a location is about making the location a character - something that is more a part of the story than just a location. You have to bring it to life. We call it "tourism fiction" in our organization.
Post 8 • IP   flag post
Iv already written the story ☺ the main location is at sea - it begins in the Congo and finishes on Our beach. ☺
Post 9 • IP   flag post
Iv also built real props which are in my diner
Post 10 • IP   flag post
The whole colour scheme is built around it. I also predicted the flood on Jan 13th (Friday) which Rasparilla rode in on BEFORE IT HAPPENED AND WITHOUT KNOWING IT WAS GOING TO!!
Post 11 • IP   flag post
Go to Rasparilla Diner Page on Facebook - you'll see
Post 12 • IP   flag post
Top Contributor Steve private msg quote post Address this user
@Jonny why dont you revord your story in audio... sent this together with your sketches, jottings etc... to a VA... and get a draft put down in a readable format.

You could then ask people to see if your story has merrit and warrants the addittional work required to turn it in to a book.

Just a suggestion.
Post 13 • IP   flag post
Teacher Rev private msg quote post Address this user
@Jonny

Have you considered a graphic novel (comic book)? The art style seems to suggest that modality. It would be quicker to get that format in place as it sounds like you have much of the relevant work done.

Later the graphic novel could act as a story board for other formats (novel, film, etc.).
Post 14 • IP   flag post
Teacher SusanDay private msg quote post Address this user
@Jonny Kindle have a kids / comic books program that you could use to put the book together.

I'd like to help - I'm a published author of many books. I'd suggest you have a look around Amazon to see how other people have put together similar books.
Post 15 • IP   flag post
Hi thanks again. I don't know what a VA is. I think I'll just have to discipline my self into typing up a manuscript from my scribblings. I was hoping someone could help maybe read through perhaps & give me a heads up on the next move. It would be 3asier to read out onto a recording, as when I read it to my son for a bedtime story - I was still writing it & parts are clumsy from falling asleep whilst writing. Sometimes I woke up & carried on writing from what I was dreaming.
Post 16 • IP   flag post
The best way to write your book is to put the whole thing into the computer. When I hand write my first draft, I use this process of moving it into the computer as my first re-write.

The next thing to do is to read through the new re-written manuscript (out loud if possible) to get a better feel for any disjointed parts. Re-write again if necessary.

Then you start the editing process. You look for unnecessary words or discrepancies in what you've written. I've done as many as 20 passes through my 80,000 word manuscript when on this part.

THEN you find some editors and readers to help you find what you missed. If you know people that edit for a living and will do it for free - great. Otherwise, do find at least one professional editor.

And then you are ready to turn your manuscript into a book. You can do it - or you can find a publishing company (or hybrid company) to do it.

Does that help?
Post 17 • IP   flag post
Yes it does help thankyou. I need to read it through again as I know there are parts that I rushed, which need joining up properly (my son, in this case being my antagonist!) There are also developmental gaps in the life of the gorilla as well as opportunities for some events which give the artists an angle to create from. I rushed to try to get the book out of my head before I just didn't bother. After all, how many people have said 'a pink gorilla? With 'that' face.I also added a part when is came to me with helps lengthen & develop bonds.I can add more detail to the 2 characters major life events & smooth out the transitions. I suppose. But. 'A pink gorilla' cheers guys
Post 18 • IP   flag post
29605 18 18
destitute