BillBelew.com
BloggingProductivityWordPress

Wordpress and scheduling - how bad is it?2427

Member rcayeras private msg quote post Address this user
IS there something that works well for schedule Wordpress publications that doesn't bog things down?

Looking at other forums, it looks like most of the time, the built-in Wordpress scheduling for publication doesn't work. Looking into how it works - it seems to be dependent on the schedule and someone visiting your site withing some range -- and it may or may not publish. The "fix-it" updates and plug-ins that I found do constant checks to see if the scheduled blog was published. IT support says it bogs down the system and has potential security issues.

If there's a solution that's more reasonable than what I've found so far, please let me know. Manually pushing the button works - but I (or the client) is not always in front of the computer.

(If this has already been answered, feel free to direct me to that thread - I didn't find it.)
Post 1 • IP   flag post
Teacher Rev private msg quote post Address this user
@rcayeras

I've never found a problem with my scheduled posts publishing. If you need some activity to trigger it, set up an automated process (any automated process) to run once a day using CPanel and Cron.

The best solution, of course, is to get enough posts in play to get enough organic traffic to trigger it daily.
Post 2 • IP   flag post
Thanks for the recommendation. I figured the client needs more traffic - until then . . .
Post 3 • IP   flag post
Teacher Rev private msg quote post Address this user
@rcayeras

You know, thinking about it, you could also look for another plugin that does something the client needs (or wants) on a timed schedule that won't be "looking" every few seconds.

For example, I have a plugin on my site that runs a process once every hour. Perhaps that's why I have no trouble with my scheduled posts. They would be triggered by the hourly cycle of the other plugin.

Once an hour isn't a heavy server load by anyone's calculation.
Post 4 • IP   flag post
Sounds better than every 15 minutes!
Post 5 • IP   flag post
29624 5 5
destitute