BillBelew.com
BrainstormingSEO Advice

Hope is shaken when your traffic drops2436

Member KathrynLang private msg quote post Address this user
I changed up my website (and theme). I posted consistent content. I shared on social media (while engaging on social media). I have spoken at two live events and two online events (in the last month).

The frustrating part is my numbers have taken a nose-dive.

UGH!

What have I broken THIS time?
Post 1 • IP   flag post
Member kscare1 private msg quote post Address this user
I suggest you have a listen to this. pretty profound.

My intuition suggested this was something to spend my valuable time on and I am so grateful I listened.

I am not ready for it at the moment as I am working through some health challenges, but once I am well, I know this is an option that I must consider.

It's not what you are doing externally, but what you are doing from within.

light and Grace.

K
Post 2 • IP   flag post
Teacher SusanDay private msg quote post Address this user
@KathrynLang Check your analytics. Mine dropped off on a few sites last week... very frustrating!
Post 3 • IP   flag post
It WAS last week @SusanDay - I mean, it went from 60 sessions to seven sessions.

Did I break ALL of Google this time?
Post 4 • IP   flag post
Teacher SusanDay private msg quote post Address this user
@KathrynLang you probably had a dip. It can happen sometimes. Onwards and upwards- your site would just get better each time you post.
Post 5 • IP   flag post
Teacher Rev private msg quote post Address this user
@KathrynLang

Google just rolled out some changes and it may take a few days to get back to where you were. You should be fine.
Post 6 • IP   flag post
Top Contributor Steve private msg quote post Address this user
@KathrynLang had a quick look at your site... if it was my site i would..

1. Change the permalink structure
2. Change the hope blog on the menu as i found it confusing.
3. I'de use title tags a little more
4. I would use image alt tags

Thats just a quick look, if i get time ill have a proper look... as you should generate more visitors...
Post 7 • IP   flag post
Apparently - you can generate some visits by posting an article titled "Why I Quit church." Who knew THAT would be a hot topic.

Not viral, mind you, but getting some attention.
Post 8 • IP   flag post
@KathrynLang

The fact that a new article is getting (immediate?) attention suggests you are being indexed quickly and well. Your issues may be less SEO and more topic related.

Are your titles and focused keywords speaking to the right audience for your articles?

I will be doing a live-stream presentation that may be helpful for you. See details at Network Live Virtually (facebook group). Free. April 11.
Post 9 • IP   flag post
I'm going to Craft Content in Nashville and circled several sessions that might help me with my SEO.

The attention I'm getting is almost completely because of Facebook. I shared it on my Facebook page on the 1st and then shared it through my personal facebook last night. It is up to 444 reaches (all organic). But I will say they are mostly coming to read the article and then leaving - so not the exact attention I want

I wish there was software or a system for searching all my content and telling me what long-string (is that right?) keyword phrases are my focus.
Post 10 • IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve
1. Change the permalink structure
2. Change the hope blog on the menu as i found it confusing.
3. I'de use title tags a little more
4. I would use image alt tags

1. two things about the permalink - first, won't changing it effect my past posts and links? Second, it's just my blog title now, what do you recommend and why?

2. Do you mean #GrowingHOPE Posts? I added the #growingHOPE recently

3. I try to use a limited number of tags (and even try to keep those limited for my blog). Is there a system you recommend?

4. What exactly does the alt txt do?
Post 11 • IP   flag post
@KathrynLang

Remember that your post or page isn't indexed for just one keyword or keyword phrase. All keywords/phrases in your document are indexed. The degree to which it will be found will relate to many factors, about 10 to 15 of them most important, involving each of those keywords.

We typically optimize a post or page for just one keyword/phrase as we apply all of the factors we can to it however it is possible to optimize for more than one keyword/phrase; perhaps 2 or 3.

If you just allow indexing to happen you will not likely do as well in the search engine return pages (SERPs) so it is better to put a little effort into this aspect of your writing. Even just a little care with about a dozen of these factors can get you to page 1, and even spot 1, of the SERPs. It doesn't have to be a roll of the dice.

Post 12 • IP   flag post
@Rev Yes - I get that NOW . . . I had no idea Yoast was a test and not a declaration but I have been sharing that tidbit with the world (and telling them you are THE wordpress wizard)

The question I still have is what am I currently keywording for And what should I be trying to keyword for.

My goal for the next three months is to sell 10,000 eBooks a month by engaging 100,000 people a week.

Currently, I have about 15 visits to my website a day.
Post 13 • IP   flag post
@KathrynLang

First, let me say that SEO is a significant undertaking that cuts across several marketing-related disciplines, and happens over time, ie: it is not a one application fix. I know you know this but I'm stating it first for others who may read this.

In your particular case, and the goal to which you refer, you are about right on your timing. Any program to develop significant traffic is likely to take about 3 months from inception to the moment of recognizable results. That is not to say you only need to do it for 3 months but, rather, it will initially require about 3 months to realize it is actually working.

Typically these programs need to be continued for about a year to 18 months to build a sustainable body that will continue with minimal maintenance.

Next, SEO is not something that happens in isolation. While it needs not be rocket science -- anyone can apply enough SEO factors to gain the necessary exposure -- there are specific things that must be done and they must be done as a part of a bigger marketing program.

The key element of that program is posting new, quality, content on a frequent and regular basis. To expedite this, 3 times per day is not a bad number. Many feel they can't do that and, while others might disagree, I would suggest that 3 to 4 times per week (1 post every second day) would be a minimum.

But posting content is only the foundation of this program. The right content is important and so are other factors. It would take more than this long post to outline the whole enchilada, and likely one or more webinars or courses to fill in the picture -- and that depending on where your knowledge is starting from.

At the very beginning, as with any marketing program, you must know whom you will be targeting. To just write content has some merit but it is most effective if you write quality, authoritative, content targeted to a specific group. Try to reach everyone and you reach no one.

So, determine your market, then narrow the focus even more, and write to them -- but don't just say what you want to them, write about the things they are actually searching for. A little research can turn that up.

Now one of the questions you have to answer for yourself is, are my books paper or digital? Regardless of whom they target, I suspect that group is divided in two; those who prefer paper and those who prefer digital. If you are offering both than you can target that broader group but if your books are only digital (or only paper) you may find you need to refine your targeting.

It is little things like this that mount up and derail even those with the best content and product(s) may not see the conversion or closing rates they had hoped for.

At this point, however, you are trying to get a handle on traffic. To keep on track you must accept that not just any traffic will do. The numbers don't matter if they are the wrong numbers. Someone in this forum mentioned they don't learn by watching video, they need to read to gain full understanding in a manner that is comfortable to them. If you were selling video training, 100,000 people who feel that way would not likely meet your ultimate conversion goals.

Kathryn, you are getting bits and pieces of information, most of it good, in this and other threads in this forum, but you may not get everything you need in the manner and time frame to meet your stated goal. You likely need a professional examination of your website structure, your blog posts, and the other key elements of your marketing process.

This is something I do, and I'll contact you directly.
Post 14 • IP   flag post
Top Contributor Steve private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynLang

1. two things about the permalink - first, won't changing it effect my past posts and links? Second, it's just my blog title now, what do you recommend and why?

It will affect your past links... you can use a 301 ridirect plugin to push people to the new permalonk structure.

Ig you visit my website and view a few articles... if you look at the url structure you will note the differences i suggest you implement.

2. Do you mean #GrowingHOPE Posts? I added the #growingHOPE recently

Its confusing to me... and therefore i assume others.

3. I try to use a limited number of tags (and even try to keep those limited for my blog). Is there a system you recommend?

Titles... h1 h2 and h3 ...

4. What exactly does the alt txt do? It allows those with images switched off to see what your image is about... it also aids seo

I'm sure @rev can help you with this... and feel free to ask me whatever you like.
Post 15 • IP   flag post
Forum Owner Belew private msg quote post Address this user
@KathrynLang Did your traffic bounce back yet?
Post 16 • IP   flag post
@Belew Thanks for asking. According to Google Analytics - no. But I'm getting engagement and Awstats shows an increase in feed reads unique visitors as well.

My podcast has been climbing up every day also.

So, I feel much better about what I'm doing and the results . . . it would still be nice to go viral (not to be viral though, that would be gross).
Post 17 • IP   flag post
29624 17 17
destitute