BillBelew.com
ConferencesGenerate Content IdeasMotivationNetworkingPublic Speaking

Learning to be an inspirational speaker2457

Member Natishafost private msg quote post Address this user
Hello all and thank you for welcoming me. I am seeking to learn to enhance my skills as an inspirational speaker, I am open to learn any and everything i can and thankfully welcome any advice. I have found my purpose and now its about learning to be the best i can be to serve others.
Post 1 • IP   flag post
Top Contributor Steve private msg quote post Address this user
@Natishafost welcome... what do you hope to inspire people to do?
Post 2 • IP   flag post
Member JWP private msg quote post Address this user
Practice, practice, practice...I'm headed to retirement, but "public speaking" was an integral part of my work life beginning in my mid-20's. Other than writing crisply and clearly, being able to successfully communicate verbally is key to getting anywhere in nearly any job except, perhaps, the trades....and even there, it's a good skill to have.

Is there a Toastmasters organization near you? While I've never been a member, my understanding is that participants meet regularly and study and discuss the basic skills and talents that one needs to develop to be a good speaker. They also each present to the group regularly. After the presentation, others members share constructive encouragement and criticism.

Final note: I actually reached out to a young guy in his 30's who is in the construction trades and complimented him on a knockout presentation before a bank board of directors where he scored a $1.8 million line of credit for a residential construction project. There was something about him that didn't add up....He was very articulate, but not too slick....Nor did he seem to have to polish of someone with a boarding school or private college eduction....But he was a very comfortable, genuine and obviously transparent person....He looked me in the eye and said simply: "Well...I can probably tell you....I gave up drinking and drugs six years ago....I go to 12 step meetings twice a week and have to speak at them regularly, telling my story....After you've had to spill your guts like that a few times, even a $ 2 million dollar loan is batting practice.....".....My point: Practice, practice, practice....

Find places where you can present regularly and work at it....Invite folks' "comments, criticisms, suggestions, ideas...".....
Post 3 • IP   flag post
Teacher Rev private msg quote post Address this user
@Natishafost

Natisha, the fact that you have,

1) joined this forum,

2) filled out your profile, and

3) reached out with a new post to begin dialog,

is all positive and more than many ever get to. That said, let me offer a couple of things I noticed. They are meant to be helpful, not critical.

1) your LinkedIn link in your profile isn't working. I think it need to be the full URL to your profile page on LinkedIn, and

2) your sideways picture may attract attention but, for me at least, it is annoying. The one you use on your Twitter and Instagram pages is so much prettier and professional.

I couldn't agree more with @JWP on two of his points:

1) toastmasters, and

2) practice practice practice.

All the best as you move positively forward and I know you will find value here in the forum. If you want an edge, check out The Classroom. Amazing things coming there over the next couple of weeks.
Post 4 • IP   flag post
Hello Rev, thank you for the critiques, I am always open to learning and take positive critism well. Its all a learning experience for me, I did correct the things you mentioned and hope you will take the time to review again. Thank you for the support
Post 5 • IP   flag post
Teacher Rev private msg quote post Address this user
@Natishafost

Your LinkedIn link works and your picture is awesome!

I look forward to chatting more with you over the days to come.
Post 6 • IP   flag post
Member KathrynLang private msg quote post Address this user
@Natishafost My son gave me a BRILLIANT suggestion the other day. He told me to "stop trying to be so presentable and just be more me."

When you are a speaker - you are your brand - and if you be more you people begin to respond!

Are you querying for speaking opportunities yet?
Post 7 • IP   flag post
Member Charlene private msg quote post Address this user
Toastmasters rocks! I was a member the first 3 years I was in business and that is where I learned how to structure a speech. It is vital that you have coaching if you want to be a keynote or sought after speaker, and Toastmasters delivers.

Another option would be your local chapter for the National Speaker Association. While coaching and instruction aren't offered for new speakers, it is an excellent networking opportunity.
Post 8 • IP   flag post
Teacher SusanDay private msg quote post Address this user
@Natishafost Welcome! It's great to meet you. I am looking forward to learning about your journey.

What is your topic or speciality area?
Post 9 • IP   flag post
Hello Susan, my passion is to encourage women to live and experience life in abundance, self development changing mindset, tou name I want to be useful and in service to this purpose. I cant include my website info but if you look at my profile you will see it, check it out let menknow what you think and remember I a beginner
Post 10 • IP   flag post
Teacher SusanDay private msg quote post Address this user
@Natishafost I love the use of 'under construction' it really speaks to me about our journeys and how far many people have come, and how far they have to go.

I have a lot of contacts who share your ideasls, I will share your site with them.

If you need any help blogging, let me know. If you go through the forum topics you will see my recent thread about guest spots and writing content.
Post 11 • IP   flag post
Good morning Susan,
Thank you for visiting and I'm glad it was useful, I appreciate the offer with blogging because as you know I'm a working progress and can use the tips, Thanks again and my purpose is to help if its only 1 person I pray it can be useful,,,,
Post 12 • IP   flag post
Forum Owner Belew private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by JWP
After you've had to spill your guts like that a few times, even a $ 2 million dollar loan is batting practice.....
Terrific line.

The reason most people can't speak very well is mostly because they don't have anything to say.

Find something that burns inside you so strongly that you cannot keep it in, and you will find a way to get your message out.

If you want to be an inspirational speaker, first find out what inspires you, then let that message out anyway you can ... and keep at it till your listeners get what you are trying to say.

Then do it again and again ...
Post 13 • IP   flag post
28671 13 13
destitute