BillBelew.com
BloggingBrainstormingContent Creation

Blog Titles: How to grab the reader?2464

Member authenticV private msg quote post Address this user
Hi I'm new here and this is my first thread, please forgive me if this has been covered already but I couldn't find it.

I write alot with a basic theme in mind, but I sometimes find it difficult to come up with an engaging title.

How do you come up with your titles? How do you make it engaging? Is there a word limit you should use?
Post 1 • IP   flag post
Forum Owner Belew private msg quote post Address this user
@authenticV

Good titles.

60-70 characters.

Make a promise to solve a problem for your would be reader.

Then deliver on that promise.
Post 2 • IP   flag post
Teacher Rev private msg quote post Address this user
There are really two schools when it comes to writing titles -- this applies to blog post titles, book titles, email subject lines, etc.

1) think of a good title and then write to it, or

2) write what you have to say and let that dictate the title.

I don't think one is more right than the other. I prefer the latter, myself. What works for you may vary.

What Bill says about "Make a promise to solve a problem for your would be reader. Then deliver on that promise." is key to a good people-centric title. What works for search optimization may be a little different.

On a WordPress website with a good SEO plugin, you can provide a document title (often called a meta title) easily and do your SEO thing there and keep the post title mostly for people.

I say "mostly" because there are a few minor things you might want to tweak in the post title to benefit SEO but that's the subject for another post. For now, just write for people. As Bill suggest, make a promise -- an engaging statement -- clearly indicating the problem you are going to solve.

Then deliver (write in the post) what is necessary to accomplish that purpose. If your idea is a little nebulous and you find it easier to write the post first, try to stay focused on a single issue and use opening paragraph (introduction), body paragraphs, and closing paragraph (summation) in the format,

• tell them what you are going to tell them,

• tell them what you are telling them, and

• tell them what you told them.

Then read the whole thing through and the title most often makes itself known.
Post 3 • IP   flag post
I tell my students to write smth 2-300 words long. Then save it on their desktop or some random folder and leave it there for abt 3 weeks. Then go back and find it.

Whatever they use to find their article is probably what the would be reader will use.
Post 4 • IP   flag post
Top Contributor Steve private msg quote post Address this user
Not much else you can add to this...

Post 5 • IP   flag post
@Steve

I always wondered how staying alive works.
Post 6 • IP   flag post
Member philipwatling private msg quote post Address this user
@Steve Maybe so, but breathing too much oxygen will kill you!
Post 7 • IP   flag post
Teacher SusanDay private msg quote post Address this user
@authenticV Great advice from @Belew @Rev above.

Remember to keep your target audience in mind and think what might they want to know about / or be interested in.

And, always think, "How would they put their query into a search box?"

You'll get better at this as time goes by, but it is better to start and get your numbers up. Perfection can will come with time.

Do you have your permalinks set so they reflect the title of your post?
Post 8 • IP   flag post
@SusanDay
I think so.. about the permalinks. My site is with Squarespace, so i think its done automatically, I have never gone in and changed it.

@Rev
I'm a, think of a topic, write a post, then agonise over the title kind of writer. I seem to flow better that way. I like the last paragraph of your post and plan to adopt and add to my storytelling.

@Belew
easy to remember, coded in my brain

@Steve
.. can't get better than that..

Thank you all for your suggestions.
Post 9 • IP   flag post
Not really a title, but how to grab the reader? My book starts with a bank - quite literally

Bang! The car hit me. Quite what happened nobody knows - my memory appears to have stopped the night before the accident, though that whole week may be lost in the mists of time. I feel certain that whatever small part of my brain, enrolled to remember the days surrounding my accident, was expelled - burnt up like a Christian worshipper at a satanic cookery school as my brain cells fried.
Post 10 • IP   flag post
Member KathrynLang private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Belew
I tell my students to write smth 2-300 words long. Then save it on their desktop or some random folder and leave it there for abt 3 weeks. Then go back and find it.

Whatever they use to find their article is probably what the would be reader will use.

This is BRILLIANT! And so simple - yep, definitely stealing it
Post 11 • IP   flag post
@philipwatling yep that definitely grabbed me, I would want to read more. I am aiming for that level of bang!
Post 12 • IP   flag post
Thanks @authenticV. Well if you do want to know more send me a PM and I'll give you some information
Post 13 • IP   flag post
28671 13 13
destitute