BillBelew.com
LinkedIn

LinkedIn Groups activity2467

teddy private msg quote post Address this user
A few months ago in connection with my dissertation, I decided to ask a question in a Linkedin group for marketing communications with 644,000 members. The question was: "I would like to have your opinion why the trust in brands is at low?" I already had the academical answers I just wanted insights from professionals involved in building brand trust. No one answered me. Since then I am wondering why no one wasn't interested in sharing an opinion.What could be the reason? Is it how I asked or something else?
Post 1 • IP   flag post
Steve private msg quote post Address this user
Welcome and interesting... so Teddy what is the academic answer and how did you determine it?
Post 2 • IP   flag post
DansCartoons private msg quote post Address this user
I am on LinkedIn. I have used their "blog" platform. Not so much a blog, as it is a place to pose a question or make a statement. This is where I always add links to new posts I make on my own website's blog page. You can also post a pic/photo/illustration with each post (links allowed also).
You may be better off posting on LinkedIn in this manner, as opposed to asking on a group with over a half million members. I've found "numbers" make no difference. I always assumed people a "chomping at the bit", frothing at the mouth on these big groups or forums which is completely NOT the case.
Believe it or not, at the time you posted your question, maybe just a handful of people had visited that group at the particular time you posted there and they found the question "boring"....believe me, I have been there/done that. Try the comments page on your profile and re-post the same question there....you may just get a better response.

PS: I also use this same LinkedIn feature to post Tweets I make on Twitter.
Post 3 • IP   flag post
@Steve I reserve the right to open a new thread in about two months when my work will be submitted and graded. I don't want identical text from the internet to be found in it. For now, I am curious why no one wanted to share an opinion, to engage in a discussion about the question? Isn't it important or interesting? For me, it opens questions such as what the community thinks is relevant? But I really don't know the answer.
Post 4 • IP   flag post
@teddy in fact I plan to make a new blog post shortly after you read this....check my LinkedIn page later....where I will link that same blog post in my profile page's "comments" section....tell me your thoughts....(I have over 8,000 connections - not that it is any bragadocio) but all this is "relative"
Post 5 • IP   flag post
@DansCartoons Thanks
Post 6 • IP   flag post
Teddy I hope you took a ride on the big British Airways London Eye in your Twitter profile pic....haha! I have been right in that spot....and yes, I rode the big wheel. London is one of my favorite places.
Post 7 • IP   flag post
Seniorpreneur private msg quote post Address this user
@teddy I think that in the past everyone wanted to be heard through LinkedIn discussions and 99% of all the opinions were published. But today it seems like nobody wants to be heard OR they are just too busy doing their own thing. They have no time to compose a discussion type reply or answer a questionnaire when too many personal opinions are rudely censored and discarded before they are even read.
Post 8 • IP   flag post
Clydeart private msg quote post Address this user
@teddy, @steve, @all My take on LinkedIn is that it was initially seen as a place to connect people in business for mutual advantage. As it has morphed, it seems less a place to share opinions, or take part in discussions but as a place to showcase your talents, experience, skills, and gifts in your profile or posts so that others might choose to hire you, consult with you, or form a mutually beneficial business alliance.

My take on marketers is that regardless of how wonderful they may be, I cannot afford to hire them to promote my retirement hobby business. (Fixed income problem.) My desire is not to make a fortune, but to simply sell the art I paint or woodworks I make that I do not give away as gifts.

If you are a marketer in this forum you may wonder how I afford my tools or materials I work with, if I cannot afford your services. The wood I work with I get for free as cut-offs, cut up trees left in the street or pieces collected up over the years - thus my claim of up cycled /recycled wood. And the art materials, I am using up the odd watercolor sheets and pads purchased in my past. And I still am working on using up watercolors I bought 25 years ago.
Post 9 • IP   flag post
Rev private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by teddy
I reserve the right to open a new thread in about two months when my work will be submitted and graded. I don't want identical text from the internet to be found in it.

Respectfully, and in answer to your original question, if you are known on LinkedIn for this kind of thing then I wouldn't expect you to get answers or opinions when you post a question. You have set the tone. Others are responding (or not) accordingly.
Post 10 • IP   flag post
tammysoffices private msg quote post Address this user
Hello @teddy so sorry you are finding it difficult to find an answer to question as well as an answer for your question in this thread. I would agree with a couple here in that LinkedIn is not as much a discussion place as it used to be. Used to be that groups were where you went to discuss, meet others and do business together (hopefully). It seems it has become a place to post and email other and for pushy salespersons to send emails with everyone's else's contact information on it. LinkedIn has become too focused on their 'selling' of services and products to help this problem, I believe.

Twitter and Facebook often have good discussions. Are you connected with a marketing group on Facebook? You may find you would get a better answer there, or at least an answer. I would attempt to be more conversational and less academic and maybe you will receive a good response.
Post 11 • IP   flag post
@Rev Usually I am very careful about the tone both in life and online not because I am trying to be polite but the tone gives a real impression of the level of respect, but in this case, you are absolutely right. I made a mistake.I apologize sincerely to you and @Steve.
Post 12 • IP   flag post
@teddy

No apology necessary for me -- I was just commenting on what I was seeing and wasn't offended at all -- but I did think you shut @Steve down pretty hard.

And I do know that apparent tone in writing by be miles off what is intended. I'm guilty of that myself. What I hoped was to point out what is often only seen by the originator upon second observance.

You obviously caught on so there's hope for both of us.
Post 13 • IP   flag post
Belew private msg quote post Address this user
@teddy

Ppl on LI are not generally givers = inclined to answer questions ... unless you have a relationship of some sort with them.

Why would they? Why should they?

Most ppl start off with a WIIFM attitude and firm up as they go along.

What's the question you asked?
Post 14 • IP   flag post
Steve private msg quote post Address this user
@teddy i wasn't offended, been around too long for that.

Perhaps people arent entering into a discussion because you are not leading it... if you yourself cant lead and discuss it... why should others?
Post 15 • IP   flag post
I moderate a group of my own on LinkedIn. Rarely have any of the 2,500 members posted something on there in last few months. And it's a group with a rather interesting talent....I can't say what it is. But overall, the posts have been waning....
Post 16 • IP   flag post
Fizzymidas private msg quote post Address this user
I think the issue is, everyone is stretched thin on at least five of these platforms....Facebook, Twitter, Pinterest, Instagram, Reddit, You Tube, and lots more.
A lot are struggling under information over dose
Post 17 • IP   flag post
Ask ppl a question they want to answer and they'll answer it.

My bet is nobody noticed your question or nobody cared enough to answer.
Post 18 • IP   flag post
Thank you for sharing your opinions,
now I see the situation in a different way. Partially the problem is how ppl use LinkedIn, probably most of them use the groups to have badges on their profiles and to read and like, I haven't seen a real discussion there. Not less important probably is how I structured the question instead "What are the reasons for low trust in brands" I should ask "How unfair trade practices, brand misconduct, and PR crisis affect the brand?" From just a thread I learned many interesting things, including how unintentionally I used the wrong tone. If @Rev didn't point it out I wouldn't notice. Thank you!
Post 19 • IP   flag post
tammysoffices private msg quote post Address this user
@teddy THAT question does seem more engaging and may get you some answers and engagement. I also think, as pointed out in earliest comments that it depends where you are posting it. If it needs to be in that specific group, due to the educational factors, then re-engage and see how it goes. If, however, it can be opened up then post it on home page with feed from others, then you may see some engagement as well.

Tone is difficult to perceive just through text. Also different personalities and mindsets offer challenges as well. So as often as can, possibly be less 'clinical' and more 'relational'.

I am glad you gained some insight. This forum is great!
Post 20 • IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by tammysoffices
t it depends where you are posting it.

I think I might disagree with this statement.

Where you post a question is not nearly as important (though important) as the relationship you have with the group or the members that you are posting to.

If someone came here, and it happens a lot, and asks the group a question that is self-serving, my first inclination is to ask, "Who are you?" and "Why should I not delete you?"
Post 21 • IP   flag post
@Belew I agree. I did introduce myself, but I don't have a real relationship with the group or its members up to date. I acted like someone coming out of the blue.
Post 22 • IP   flag post
@teddy

Would it be useful to you to know what percentage of a group you can expect to hear from?

I don't know the numbers for all groups but I know the numbers here in the forum.

I know how many members there are, how many are active, how many lurk, how many are deadbeats, how many might come to the forum on any given name, how long they spend. ... and and...these numbers for a fairly active group? Inactive groups would be worse.

I'll answer these questions in the classroom. Consider upgrading.

Knowing a little can save a LOT of time. Saving a lot of time equals saving a lot of money.
Post 23 • IP   flag post
@Belew Thanks. See you in the classroom.
Post 24 • IP   flag post
@teddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by teddy
but I don't have a real relationship with the group or its members up to date

Yes, but you are engaging with others and we are getting to know you. In very little time you have gone from a new, unknown, quantity to a real person with a face, a style, and an opinion.

While this forum is, frankly, better than many (most?) it is what you are doing here that will pay off in the long run in almost any forum.

Active forum participants fall mostly into two categories, those who engage/write/participate, and those who only watch/read.

I include those who watch/read as "active" participants because those are actions. Just because we don't readily notice them doesn't make them any less valid in, or valuable to, the forum/group. And, over time, if and when it becomes "right" for them, they will move over (not up) to join those who engage.

There is a third bunch that I simply discount -- those who only post to be self-serving. That's not to say you shouldn't share who you are, what you do, and even what you offer (within the rules of the group) but you need to be sensitive to the rules and culture of the group.

Those that sign up (or like, or follow) and don't ever come back, even just to look, really aren't a part of the forum at all.
Post 25 • IP   flag post
@teddy

You have created quite a discussion here.

If you look at the threads I create and compare the number of posts i get in response with the threas created by members and number of posts on response, I lose.

You know more than I do what you want to talk and learn abt

Keep asking.
Post 26 • IP   flag post
morrnel private msg quote post Address this user
Perhaps the message is being censored. Social media has gotten good at filtering stuff out.
Post 27 • IP   flag post
@morrnel

Hey, welcome back. Haven't seen you for a bit!

And that is a real frustration for serious social media users. Their reach is nowhere near as long as their arms.
Post 28 • IP   flag post
morrnel private msg quote post Address this user
Yes indeed @rev. Ask the way from Shanghai.
Post 29 • IP   flag post
@morrnel

Heck, I'd have difficulty figuring out the way to San Jose!

If you'd been there (Shanghai) just a little bit longer you might have seen Bill across a crowded room...

[naw!]
Post 30 • IP   flag post
26130 31 30
destitute