BillBelew.com
Brainstorming

Are You Google-y Eyed by Big Numbers?2469

Forum Owner Belew private msg quote post Address this user
It's easy to get all enamored with big numbers.

But do big numbers ensure engagement?

And does engagement ensure conversion?

What's been your experience?

Post 1 • IP   flag post
Member authenticV private msg quote post Address this user
I was very googley eyed when I first start out. I wanted huge followings and so I did the whole like for like and follow for follow hashtags.
All I attracted were the type of people I didn't want to follow and who weren't interested in what I had to say, they unfollowed as soon as I started following.

All this was new to me, I used to get upset. But then I asked mysel, do I want to be insta fake famous or do I want motivate and inspire, share my stuff to people looking for what I had to say? So I backed up and cleaned up my social media.

While I think a huge following attracts a higher number of followers, I'd rather a small number of engaged connections and that's my aim.
Post 2 • IP   flag post
Forum Owner Belew private msg quote post Address this user
@authenticV

I fell into the I want as many friends as possible trap in the beginning ... on Facebook. I HATED looking at my Facebook feed cuz I had no idea what or who I was reading about.

One day, I deleted EVERYONE I didn't know ... went from several 1000 to a few 100. Now I actually enjoy looking at my Facebook feed ... sometimes.

What kind of people are you trying to attract?
Post 3 • IP   flag post
@Belew I did the same with Facebook! I still take it with a pinch of salt though.

I'm trying to attract so called milleniels and a little older, people looking for something different than the 'norm', searching for their place in the world and also the ones looking to return to living naturally preventing disease instead of trying to treat them, eating clean and looking after their temple.
Post 4 • IP   flag post
Top Contributor Steve private msg quote post Address this user
Facebook... ive done similar... thats the problem with FB... we treat our personal account as our business account... whereas a dedicated business page is the way to go.

As to numbers... check klout scores for engagement... only an indication but better than nothing.
Post 5 • IP   flag post
Teacher Rev private msg quote post Address this user
There is a big (huge!) difference between 1000 people who "like" you (facebook) or "follow" you (Twitter) and 1000 people who actually like and follow you. In fact, I'll take 10 who actually like and follow over the 1000 who just click the like or follow buttons on facebook and Twitter.
Post 6 • IP   flag post
@Rev I second that!
Post 7 • IP   flag post
Member philipwatling private msg quote post Address this user
I have a couple of hundred friends on my personal FB account, many of whom I have met. I regularly go through and remove those I never hear from or have no idea who they are. My book's FB page has more than twice that and many I do not know, but they came to me - often friends of friends: word spreads. On Twitter I have nearly 5,000 followers. I know a few and have met less than that, but I am not there to make friends. One click leads to another, leads to a hundred more. I get many followers because I tell them about my book, but many I have no i... America's Most Haunted anyone? Who are they? How did they hear about my book? Why are they following me? Do I care? Hello no! I'll hear about sales soon
Post 8 • IP   flag post
Top Contributor Steve private msg quote post Address this user
i think of social media as simply a touch point... it allows me to touch my audience and those that might send referrals my way.

From an SEO perspective this works... as social engahement is a ranking factor.

From a business perspective it works... unfortunately... Most people don't understand how to use social media from a business perspective.

Can you drive sales from social media... you sure can and its simply knowledhe and following a system... proven to generate results.
Post 9 • IP   flag post
28670 9 9
destitute