BillBelew.com
Member Lenderman33 private msg quote post Address this user
Hi Folks,

@Belew has said that through simply publishing more high quality content than another website (i.e. more pages), one may achieve higher traffic, rankings, and market-share.

My question: If you have 3 competitors, do you want to go ahead and publish more content than all 3? Or would that be unnecessary to secure the appropriate market-share?

PS: I highly recommend the "Classroom".

Thanks!

Erik
Post 1 • IP   flag post
Student TParker private msg quote post Address this user
IMO, Google is going to select the site that offers searchers the best chance of having their questions answered. My quantity of quality content needs to be sufficient to ensure that I can answer more questions than the competition.
Post 2 • IP   flag post
Hi @TParker,

Do you have an example of a website that you have used in order to achieve this objective?

Thanks!

Erik
Post 3 • IP   flag post
Not yet. : )

I am working with one client who has created a massive website, comprehensively covering a topic. The work involves several freelance writer, editors, and supervisors. The site has been adding content for well over a year. As a freelancer, I can't discuss the site's identity.

For one of my smaller clients, we have done quite well covering the topics at the local level. I choose @ 10 keywords at a time and focus on covering those thoroughly. Because few of our local competitors are adding fresh content, we are able to hold those keyword positions.

One of the best examples of content that totally dominates is BabyCenter.com. The website has been around since my teenager was a baby and they have something written about everything. WebMD and Moz.com would also be good examples of topic domination.
Post 4 • IP   flag post
Hi TParker,

Thank you for your reply! This is very interesting - Are you a content producer, web-developer, or other? What do you mean "Client"?

What service do you provide to them and in general?

Thanks!

Erik
Post 5 • IP   flag post
I'm a freelance writer. Most of my work is some type of web content- blogs, page copy, social media posts. Occasionally I work on print projects.
Post 6 • IP   flag post
Teacher Rev private msg quote post Address this user
@Lenderman33

When it comes to organic traffic from search, the number of competitors you have is the number of businesses (websites) above you in the search engine return pages (SERPs). If there are more than three pages of them, then the details that issue are pretty much meaningless until you do enough to get to page 3.

You only need to do more content than the business in spot one. How much more and how good it is and how often you post will be a factor of how fast you want to get to the top and how long you want to stay there.

While Bill's system works (I've used it, or a variation, myself many times) I see it as only part of the puzzle. It's kind of like starting with the edge pieces -- easy to find, easy to sort, easy to get together -- which is generally a good place to begin.

There are other things you can do simultaneously that will help make it happen, make it faster, and make it last. I'll be touching on what I would consider the the number one thing to do "next" -- by which I mean "at the same time as" -- in my live stream session on Monday 17 April.

http://forum.billbelew.com/topic/2475/13-seo-factors-to-make-your-posts-better/
Post 7 • IP   flag post
Hi @TParker,

What are your thoughts on the level of competition for "Marketing for Law Firms in DC". Thus far, I have counted roughly 750 total articles across about 3 - 5 websites. Seems a relatively small space in terms of local. SERPS display "Indeed" Job posts in the Top 10, so the content is clearly not highly targeted to the key-phrase. Do you believe this would be a reasonable niche to acquire market-share? Seems fairly straightforward . . . Surprisingly.

SERP results:
clickable text

I also mentioned this in the "Classroom".

Thanks!

Erik
Post 8 • IP   flag post
@Lenderman33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lenderman33
so the content is clearly not highly targeted to the key-phrase

Only one?
Post 9 • IP   flag post
Member Jonnner private msg quote post Address this user
@Rev @Lenderman33
Usually I appreciate the insights that each of you offer. However, @Rev I do not understand your last post.
Best Regards
Jonnner
Post 10 • IP   flag post
@Jonnner

I was referring to the concept of targeting to "the key-phrase" and wondered if "the" referred to only one.

When considered over the installed content base, there would be numerous keywords and, even within a single post, there can be many.

I recognize the intent of that quoted bit was likely to do with the focus keyword for each individual post, but I hoped to use it to open some discussion about keywords. Perhaps I was a little arcane.

Great to see you hanging out here again. How are things going for you?
Post 11 • IP   flag post
Member Jonnner private msg quote post Address this user
@Rev

Thank you for your kind words and for your explanation.

All is well. Thanks for asking.
Jonnner
Post 12 • IP   flag post
I would take a close look at the competitors who are ranking to see what they've done. But I agree, there does appear to be an opportunity there. I wonder if law firms are using a different search term when looking for marketing support? You would need to consider search volume. I'm sure the folks in the classroom can offer you deeper insights. My focus is primarily on content creation.
Post 13 • IP   flag post
Teacher SusanDay private msg quote post Address this user
@Lenderman33 Ranking at No. 1 is a great goal but only if you can appeal to everyone online. Law firms only have jurisdictions in a particular state / country. Parenting sites have a much wider audience, if not global, for example. If I were looking for a law firm I wouldn't care if they ranked No.1 I would want to know where they were located and if they specialized in the area I was concerned with. If you have what people are looking for then they'll go to your site as long as it's in the top few.

I don't waste my time worrying about where I rank, just if visitors are getting what they are looking for, and staying long enough to find it.
Post 14 • IP   flag post
Hi @SusanDay,

Thank you for this message! I very much appreciate your response!

What is your Average Time On Page?

: )

Erik
Post 15 • IP   flag post
@Lenderman33 It depends on the site, but one I'm really working on now is about 2:45 min.

I'm interested to know what you did to get 10k readers. It's such a saturated market. What key things did you employ to not only get visitors but get them to read your book?
Post 16 • IP   flag post
Hi @SusanDay,

That is great! Very high engagement!

The first component was to build a website focused upon Psychology, which currently generates about 80,000 organic viewers per year. The second component was to launch an online conference on the subject of Psychology, which leveraged JVs to build a database of about 15,000 users.

Thereafter, one would promote the book to the database and direct users from the site to access a copy.

Thanks!

Erik
Post 17 • IP   flag post
@Lenderman33 how did you get 80k organic views? What did you do? Nuts and bolts, please!
Post 18 • IP   flag post
Oh and what are JVs?
Post 19 • IP   flag post
JV = joint venture and typically is used to suggest "joint venture partners" -- the people involved.
Post 20 • IP   flag post
Hi @SusanDay,

The strategy for securing the level of organic traffic that I described above simply consisted in applying @Belew's suggested strategies: Post content. About 750 pages of content.

Thank you,

Erik
Post 21 • IP   flag post
@Lenderman33 750 web pages? That's a wonderful effort.
Post 22 • IP   flag post
29714 22 22
destitute