BillBelew.com

How many themes do you have in your posts?2488

morrnel private msg quote post Address this user
I read an article regarding updating articles. I think this guy said he updated a post once every two weeks, specifically 22 posts.

Over the course of a year, he had written a total of 46 posts, only 7 were actually new posts.

I got to thinking this about my medicare site about this process. I really don't have that many topics to rewrite on.

How have y'all addressed this approach?
Post 1 • IP   flag post
tienny private msg quote post Address this user
Maybe can look into it from a different perspectives.
Post 2 • IP   flag post
SusanDay private msg quote post Address this user
@morrnel is the idea that an updated post gets registered as a new one by Google?
Post 3 • IP   flag post
Rev private msg quote post Address this user
If the updated post remains on the same URL it isn't seen as a new post but it will be re-indexed accordingly. If it is "better", in an SEO sense, it will move up in the SERPs.

If the URL (ie: the permalink in WordPress) is changed it will be seen as a new post but if the other one is, then, no longer there and the old URL has not been redirected, there may be a negative price to pay in the SERPs.

Minor updates and/or additions to existing posts is not a bad idea, especially if you have learned new skills and ways to make them better for general SEO. That very point was made in response to a similar question in my recent Baker's Dozen presentation. The replay video is available in the classroom.

But rather than any big effort to re-write and completely change existing post to make them into "new" posts, you are better served spending the time adding to the total body of work with real new posts.
Post 4 • IP   flag post
morrnel private msg quote post Address this user
Correct @SusanDay.
As @Rev indicated, the url is left the same and content is added.
Rewriting the post defeats the purpose of leveraging past content. Add video to keep people on the page longer.

Look at from the perspective of "new and improved". Manufacturers are doing this all the time. Coke has been around forever, but each year you see something new but the basic product has hanged little. They change something on the box or can and promote the heck out of it.
Post 5 • IP   flag post
Rev private msg quote post Address this user
If you have Coca-Cola's budget you can do things differently than if you are operating on a shoe string!
Post 6 • IP   flag post
27513 6 6
destitute