BillBelew.com
BloggingMisc.

Working through my Google Relationship issue2493

Member KathrynLang private msg quote post Address this user
For the longest time, I thought Google hated me (although I'm still convinced that Facebook does).

I recently had time to sit with @Rev and work through some points for my website - and I was blessed to have the chance to follow up that amazing session with a conference in Nashville where I gained even more insight.

It turns out, I was not communicating in Google's love language.

Once I began to speak to Google they way that Google needed, things began to come around.

I'm still struggling to get Google to index me - but at least I am moving forward now!
Post 1 • IP   flag post
Teacher Rev private msg quote post Address this user
@KathrynLang

What would you say were the two key takeaways from the Nashville conference?
Post 2 • IP   flag post
@Rev

1. Bots do not see and read the way a person does. That is why keeping it simple makes it easier for the bots.

2. Always focus on mobile first.

There was way more . . . and I'm still working through all you shared and all I gathered . . . but simplicity and mobile are two of the highlights!
Post 3 • IP   flag post
@KathrynLang

I might choose to phrase it, "People do not see and read the way a bot does. That is why keeping it simple makes it easier for people." Depending on your target market, this might be important.

Mobile is significant. But, in many ways, it is dragging us backwards. The earliest web sites prior to 1996 would work very well on mobile. By optimizing for mobile we lose a lot of the capability that has been developed over the years.

The good news is a large segment of the mobile audience has never (or seldom) been on the Internet on a desktop. Many think facebook is the Internet. Many have no idea what a web browser is. Most have had very poor experience in regard the Internet and most of those don't even know it.

There is no doubt mobile is the immediate future, but I am saddened by this knowledge.
Post 4 • IP   flag post
The guys talking about the mobile were saying that because of search algorythms we need to design for mobile - but they were big on having an amazing user experience as well!

The "bots don't see like people" came from them looking at a website. The menu had "cute" items that wouldn't make sense until you dug farther into the website. The point they were making is that you don't want people to have to search for what and who you are and robots probably won't search
Post 5 • IP   flag post
Teacher SusanDay private msg quote post Address this user
@KathrynLang I agree, Google is a moody reluctant partner.

Thanks for sharing your experiences, and what you have learned. It's important that we take what we can, use it and see how it works. Then rinse and repeat!
Post 6 • IP   flag post
@KathrynLang

Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynLang
The point they were making is that you don't want people to have to search for what and who you are and robots probably won't search
@KathrynLang

1) Search engines don't search. People use them to find things they, the people, are searching for; thus the name. Search bots will actually follow all the unrestricted links on your site regardless of how "cute" they are.

2) I have talked in the past about Eben Pagan's important 3 questions you need to answer for people immediately upon their arrival to your website. This is just another example of where and why it is important.
Post 7 • IP   flag post
29714 7 7
destitute