BillBelew.com

It's All About Perception...2499

Teacher Rev private msg quote post Address this user
Marketing is mostly about perception -- your prospect's -- and you'd better know and understand what they think if you expect to be successful.

Third graders were asked to identify the faces on Mount Rushmore. The most common answers, reading from left to right: George Washington, my dad, Ned Flanders, Abraham Lincoln.

It's cute, but it speaks to the point; knowing what your prospects think and how they will react. Do you?

Post 1 • IP   flag post
Member FrugalTravelsNepal private msg quote post Address this user
This is such an important thing to understand. I sold advertising years ago and the advertisers' expectations were laughable. They would want to put a 50 cent coupon off a $10 haircut. I'd have to ask questions like, 'how far do you drive to save 50 cents?' 'How far do your customers come from?' One, the same barber as above thought his customers came from over 100 miles away. I had to remind him that his brother-in-law letting you cut his hair when he comes for Thanksgiving dinner doesn't count.
Post 2 • IP   flag post
Teacher SusanDay private msg quote post Address this user
@Rev That's awesome, but I thought head 3 was Freddie Mercury so just goes to show you what I know.

@FrugalTravelsNepal there's a lot to learn from your story. We live a 45 mile round trip from a big town. It's often not worth while driving that distance for small things - certainly not to save 50c.
Post 3 • IP   flag post
Member RogerBruner private msg quote post Address this user
I think the publisher of my novel THE DEVIL AND PASTOR GUS learned that lesson the hard way with my book cover. Although the book is suspenseful, it's not a scary story--not in a Stephen King sense--the original cover had a great Pastor Gus on the bottom left 2/3s, but a stereotypical devil, complete with fire, on the upper right. The publisher has since replaced it with something much different--a mystical looking church building at night. Not a turn off. He obviously didn't realize how that first cover would be perceived. *sigh*
Post 4 • IP   flag post
@RogerBruner any chance you could show us both side by side? I have a great interest in book covers.
Post 5 • IP   flag post

The new one's on the top, the original is beneath it. I see I exaggerated about how much of the cover Pastor Gus himself took up. *G*
Post 6 • IP   flag post
It might be interesting to have both in stores and see which sells the most.
Post 7 • IP   flag post
@RogerBruner Thank you for sharing. I certainly find the top one more appealing... it's certainly creepier.

The bottom would work better if "Pastor Gus" wasn't looking so trite - perhaps more stern or even perplexed. I haven't read the book so I'm not sure what his character is like.

Sounds like a good read, nonetheless
Post 8 • IP   flag post
How true, Rev. Unfortunately, my publisher focuses on Amazon sales, and Pastor Gus hasn't done nearly as well as my first two published books, Found in Translation and Lost in Dreams. Both were published by a much larger publisher.

Susan, I think Gus appears to be perplexed about whether he can beat the devil and wiggle out of the contract he was tricked into signing. I'll be happy to email you a copy if you'd like to read or even just take a look through it. Same for anyone else here.
Post 9 • IP   flag post
@RogerBruner Yes please! Could you private message me with your email?
Post 10 • IP   flag post
Forum Owner Belew private msg quote post Address this user
@SusanDay

How was the book?
Post 11 • IP   flag post
Forum Owner Belew private msg quote post Address this user
@Rev

Do I really need to understand my prospect's perspective when I am trying to introduce smth new to the market?
Post 12 • IP   flag post
@Belew

Nope. Just dump it on them. Some will. Some won't. So what.

OR...

You can take a moment to understand them (in a moderate way) and you will know whether or not you have the right prospect. If not, move on to the next.

You can present to 10,000 of the wrong people and get no conversions. You can PROSPECT the right ones... and a much smaller number will give you great returns.

Works for me anyway.
Post 13 • IP   flag post
29398 13 13
destitute