BillBelew.com
Brainstorming

I wish I could find a mastermind group ...2511

Forum Owner Belew private msg quote post Address this user
I wish I could find a mastermind group.

I have a hard problem that I am working on and I really wish I could find smarter people than I (it shouldn't be that hard to find anybody smarter than I) who have some experience in the problem I am facing ... who have 'been there, done that' ... and willingly share.

I wish ...
Post 1 • IP   flag post
Teacher Rev private msg quote post Address this user
@Belew

Tell us your problem so we can see if there is a "fit" for a mastermind group. PM me if you don't want to post it public at this point.
Post 2 • IP   flag post
Member Charlene private msg quote post Address this user
I'm with @Rev, tell us the problem and we can tell you if there is a fit for an existing group - or as a host for mastermind groups, I may be able to pull one together for you. Sometimes, all it takes is one meeting and you get the answer you're looking for.
Post 3 • IP   flag post
Student TParker private msg quote post Address this user
I'm married to a mastermind.
Post 4 • IP   flag post
@TParker

I am married to someone who tells me to mind her, cuz she's my master.
Post 5 • IP   flag post
When I try to brief, the meaning might not be clear ... when I get wordy ... the meaning may become even more muddled. But that's not the problem.

Here goes ---

In September I am speaking/conducting a workshop to a group of preachers, church administrator types. I don't know how many people to expect but they have reserved a room big enough to host 500+. That's way too many people to try to do an effective workshop ... but that's not the problem.

What I am trying to figure out is how best to take advantage of this opportunity. Not take advantage of as in exploit ... but as in make the most of ... for the participants and for me.

An example that comes to mind is a preacher in southern California who wrote a book ... but couldn't get it read. He then sent the book to a list of preachers and gave EACH of them a copy of the book. Enough of the preachers liked the book that they used it and recommended it to their 'flock'.. that the book took off. Instead of giving away 10% of his income and living off the other 90%, he now gives away 90% and lives off of 10% ... the book served him and those he served that well.

I have a terrific opportunity and a great group ... now what do I do?
Post 6 • IP   flag post
Give each attendee 2-3 months free access to the classroom. Long enough for them to learn actionable lessons and gain something of value from it. Or put together a packet of freebies that they can download or access after the workshop.

What is the primary topic for the workshop?
Post 7 • IP   flag post
@TParker

Workshop topic is "Best Practices for the Church and Social Media."

Still working on the title.
Post 8 • IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by TParker

What does your married partner (being PC here) mastermind?
Post 9 • IP   flag post
Member KathrynLang private msg quote post Address this user
What is it you would like to promote?
Post 10 • IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynLang
What is it you would like to promote?

I think that question is the wrong question.

I don't ask myself "What is it I want to sell?"

I want to ask, "What is it they want/need most?" And try to deliver that for them.
Post 11 • IP   flag post
Member KathrynLang private msg quote post Address this user
@Belew - I understand, but in the case of the pastor and the book - he had the book to promote.

What do you have (in your box of tools) that could be a benefit fo this group?
Post 12 • IP   flag post
@KathrynLang

I can show the attendees and the churches how best to use Social Media - inbound and outbound marketing techniques - to get more people thru the door.
Post 13 • IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Belew
Quote:
Originally Posted by TParker

What does your married partner (being PC here) mastermind?

He makes things using arduino, builds bookshelves, fixes everything around the house, and makes great food. I am one lucky gal.
Post 14 • IP   flag post
@TParker

If he becomes available, maybe I'll marry him. Okay ... I won't. I am already taken. 8-)
Post 15 • IP   flag post
Member jycmba private msg quote post Address this user
@Belew I have to step in.

You and some others here don't really want a true mastermind. What you're looking for is ideas that you're willing to accept.

There will no doubt be similar resistance in the workshop. "That's a nice idea, but.." "Our situation is different.." etc The subtext all being "what do you know about my world?"

I've been hosting masterminds now for the past few months, and the value comes from 1) ideas outside your world view 2) willingness & openness to different ideas & opinions

How's that saying go about leading to the well..?
At this point I try not to waste time with folks, who just aren't ready to drink from the well.
Post 16 • IP   flag post
@jycmba

Good to see you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jycmba
You and some others here don't really want a true mastermind.

This statement is a bit presumptuous, don't you think?

How is it that you know what I want or don't want?

If I weren't looking for ideas, why would I ask?

Looking for "Ideas that you're willing to accept" also equals looking for ideas that I can work with, no?

What is it you are recommending?
Post 17 • IP   flag post
If it's presumptuous to tell it like I see it, so be it. I think I stated clearly what a true mastermind is and what it's not.

I'm calling out what I'm observing, because it's a waste of everyone's time if we're only fishing for what we want to hear, rather than really being open to thoughts and ideas.

And I know that I'm taking a chance because this is your forum, and I'm a guest. But it's your choice whether to build up a world of yes people around yourself like Lucas, Jobs, etc. - or be willing to listen to different opinions.
Post 18 • IP   flag post
@jycmba

I welcome contrary opinions. And thank you for sharing yours.

Welcoming contrary opinions doesn't equal being accepting of them or adopting them.

At one point you disappeared ... and I am genuinely glad you are back ... but did you disappear because you could not accept a different POV?

I don't doubt that I am far different in how I approach things here than the majority of the forum members.

A mastermind IMHO is a bunch of folks who have experience with measurable results, not theories, in a variety of fields with transferable lessons. I am looking for those kinds of folks ... not 'yes, people.' Not sure why would think that.
Post 19 • IP   flag post
Like I said, it's a waste of time to look for people just to agree with you. But when it's new territory, where do you get "experience" or "measurable results"?

That's like the companies early on trying to hire people with "years of social media experience." Err.. how did these unicorns magically get this knowledge?

It's one thing to disagree or question; it's another to shoot down ideas, just because it doesn't fit your world view of what's "reasonable."

"The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man" - Shaw

If we waited for someone with experience going to the moon before we sent our first rocket, we'd still be waiting.
Post 20 • IP   flag post
Lessee ... perhaps there's a person in the forum who has been invited to speak to a large group of people who could be characterized as having influence with large groups.

I'd be interested in hearing about their experience.

Did they write a book and give it away?

Did they collect phone numbers and do SMS marketing?

Did they have people opt in right there right then to some course they offered?

Did they see it as a purely giving opportunity and do none of the above?

Did they do something I haven't thought of?

Did they try to upsell some sort of program?

What other experiences and options are there? And did they work? And, yes, those results could be measured.

200 people in a room who are leaders (preachers) of churches/organizations averaging 200-300 members (more? less?) ... how did they make the most of that opportunity? And how do they know their strategy worked or didn't?

I am not only interested in what works, but what didn't as well.

Before going to the moon, they took a tiered approach to get there ...

1. How did they decide what to do and when?
2. When did it make sense to put a real person in the capsule instead of a monkey?
3. What were their decision making processes?

These would all be valuable insights from someone who has 'been there, done that' in a very different field from me ... but the lessons could be transferable.
Post 21 • IP   flag post
Teacher Rev private msg quote post Address this user
@Belew

I don't know if this translates well at all, but... I spoke to a group of about 30 people a couple of weeks ago. I delivered information they could use in a way they could understand it and take immediate action. It was on a topic I was told they had an interest in as well as a need for solutions.

I did not try to sell anything. I just provided actionable advice that they could take and apply to their specific needs. The only thing remotely commercial was I provided my contact information and an invitation to contact me if they had any questions.

4 people contacted me with follow up questions in the next couple of days. I provided answers with no sales pitch. By the end of the week 3 of those 4 asked me how they could become paid clients so I could assist them as needed.

Sometimes you just share what you know. The business comes out of that surprisingly well.

----------
"They remind me of the lilies of the field. They toil not, neither do they spin. But they seem to eat a great deal. I see no practical use for them."
-- Mr Spock, The Trouble With Tribbles.
Post 22 • IP   flag post
@Rev

My daughter has a Tribble. It makes a funny noise ... but doesn't ingest anything ... nor leave any deposits ... or most thankfully ... reproduce.
Post 23 • IP   flag post
@Rev

Yours is generally the strategy I employ ...

But this time ... 200+ people who can weekly reach out to 200+ people ... It's got me thinking ... and wishing I had others to think this thru with.
Post 24 • IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Belew
@TParker

If he becomes available, maybe I'll marry him. Okay ... I won't. I am already taken. 8-)

LOL
You'd have to take the 4 kids and the rabbit, too.
Post 25 • IP   flag post
@TParker

4 Kids won't reproduce as quickly as 4 rabbits might.
Post 26 • IP   flag post
I think Rev is thinking the same way I am. Give something that demonstrates your value as a resource. Then, when those 200 people go home and encounter someone who needs that resource, they will think of you. If you allow classroom access, then you remain top of mind as a valuable resource for weeks.

I am working with a pastor who is making some of these types of decisions. As part of my research, I've seen a few life coach/speakers who I feel have pushed too hard.

Adding: Maybe you already do this, but I just read about using an event app that connects everyone at the event and collects contact information. You might consider some activity or process that gets people to provide you with contact information. Then, after the event do one or two soft 'do you need anything/have any questions' emails.
Post 27 • IP   flag post
@TParker @Rev

I may be overthinking this because I see the opportunity as being one of speaking to a room of influencers.

I want to give something ro every attendee that is so cool they will think, "I need to get this into the hands of everyone in the church," and then act on that thought.

But then ... what is it I will give them?
Post 28 • IP   flag post
Member Charlene private msg quote post Address this user
@Belew, you might consider creating a short handout/workbook that outlines how to create a social media team within the individual congregation/church. Show them how each church can utilize their members to evangelize on social media, with comfort and style. Within the workbook/handout you will include contact information for yourself to be brought in virtually or in person to train the leaders of those teams, information about how to connect with you on social media, and possibly information about a hands-on workshop to train team leaders that you are prepared to conduct. Of course, utilizing social media groups to gather all the team leaders to Mastermind for themselves, while encouraging them to create their own groups for their teams. At each step there is an opportunity to offer product and services to those individual church members.
Post 29 • IP   flag post
@Charlene

Best idea yet! Thanks.

Keep 'em coming.
Post 30 • IP   flag post
29624 33 30
destitute