BillBelew.com
Content Creation

What to charge to rewrite a web site2513

Member gspieler private msg quote post Address this user
Hi all:

I've asked to submit a proposal to rewrite a web site. not to design,just rewrite the text.

I see this as a phased approach.

I've never done this before so I'm sure how to charge? Would it be cost per page?

Thanks
Post 1 • IP   flag post
Forum Owner Belew private msg quote post Address this user
@gspieler

Guestimate how long you think it will take to do the job and multiply by the hourly rate you think you are worth.
Post 2 • IP   flag post
Student TParker private msg quote post Address this user
Do you have a rate that you usually charge per word or do you always do per hour?

You could look at the existing content to get an idea of the per page word count.
Post 3 • IP   flag post
@TParker @Belew

Thank you everyone.

So I charge by the project. What I think I'm going to do, as you suggest, is figure out my hourly rate and convert that to what I think will be involved and put a fee on that.

A friend here at my MeetUp writers group reminded me about including the "interview" time that will be involved in the process.

RE the existing site, thank you. It's awful, which is why they want a rewrite, so it isn't a lot of help.

So, what do you all think of that? The client is the subject matter expert. I'm the writer.
Post 4 • IP   flag post
@gspieler

I always quote high, it depends on your confidence factor, so that there is room to negotiate.

No rewrite job by a professional is worth doing at $10/hr or some such figure.

I also tell would-be clients, "I don't want to price myself out and they are welcome to make a counter offer." If they counter with a price that is too low, I will walk away.

Be sure to add in rewrites of your rewrite. Allow for one or two iterations. Each interation might take half the time of the one before.

Example - If you guess 10 hrs to write the copy and allow for 2 iterations based on their feedback it will be 10 hrs + 5 hrs + 2.5 = 17.5 hrs x $30-50/hr. Limit the number of iterations or it will never end.

You can also consider giving them a range. Above example is you will charge abt $500-750.
Post 5 • IP   flag post
Top Contributor Steve private msg quote post Address this user
@gspieler To work out your hourly rate

Add up how much you need to make a week, to live and to be able to afford the things you believe you should be able to afford.

Next, we all deserve a holiday... and we all get sick, so let's assume you are only going to work, say 44 weeks per year and have the other 8 weeks off.

Now... we all know, that working for oneself means chasing new clients and new orders, plus a million and one other things... and of course most of these are none chargeable directly... so lets assume you are only going to work 60% of the time...

So using all of this work out your wage...

Let's say you need $1,000 a week and you are going to work 36 hours a week.

1000 / 36 gives 27.78 per hour.

Let's factor in your holidays next

52,000 (yearly wage) / 44 (weeks worked( / 36 gives 32.83

Now let's add in your down time.

32.83 x 1.4 giving you an hourly rate of 45.96

That might be a bit rough ... it's been a while since I did this... (I used to run an estimating department) ... but it should give you a few ideas I hope
Post 6 • IP   flag post
@Steve @Belew

Wow.This is really helpful. Thanks. And, a double thank you about the rewrites advice.

So, based on all this good advice here where I am now.

They are the subject matter experts. I take what they give me and make it easy to understand, compelling and interesting (whatever interesting means). Also, it is my job to be sure I have the information I think I need. Ask good questions, etc.

Based on my overall writing experience, I charge $50 an hour.

So, for each approximate section (interview) for content, possibly each section may take 10 hours = $500 per section or interview. I'm not sure about this yet. Trying to figure out how to pars this out.
Post 7 • IP   flag post
Student TParker private msg quote post Address this user
Oh good, I feel normal now. My rate is in the same range as everyone else has mentioned.

Bill, this line I'm keeping! "I don't want to price myself out and they are welcome to make a counter offer." I never know how to invite a counteroffer.

GSpieler if you prepare a somewhat generic set of questions to ask each client, then you can use that as a template. Add any extra questions you have after reviewing the website and get the client's input.
Post 8 • IP   flag post
@TParker

Great idea. Had not thought of that approach but it's a good one.

Right now I'm all over online researching other similar cyber security company websites to see what their sites look like.
Post 9 • IP   flag post
Teacher Rev private msg quote post Address this user
@Steve

You used to have a form on your website (still do?) for potential clients to fill out when inquiring about a website contract. It was/is one of the best forms I've seen. Do you still have it available and would you want to share the link here?

I think it would apply as a detailed example that could be modified to suit/support @gspieler's issues and just about any other client/monetary requirement in almost any field. It won't be an out-of-the-box solution, but it will be a great guide.
Post 10 • IP   flag post
Member KathrynLang private msg quote post Address this user
@gspieler - I am a words person, and I always prefer to quote by the word instead of by the hour. Because I homeschool my boys, there are days when an hour of work can take all day - and there are days when I will write 3000 words in an hour.

I would say that for content rewrite - it's not too much to ask $.25 per word. Sometimes rewriting can be more of a challenge than writing the words outright.
Post 11 • IP   flag post
@KathrynLang

How do you count words? By number of characters or regardless of length of word? Or do you let MS word counter do it for you?
Post 12 • IP   flag post
Member KathrynLang private msg quote post Address this user
@belew - I just let MS count them. Most of the clients I have worked use the same method.
Post 13 • IP   flag post
@Steve

Thanks for sharing the form. I forgot @Belew doesn't want off-site links shared except by teachers from the Classroom. I took the liberty of creating a screen cap.

@gspieler

Here is a graphic of @Steve's form. I think it is the best example of an "if you are really interested" inquiry form on the 'net -- certainly that I have ever seen. It obviously needs to be changed up for whatever purpose it would be used but the idea/concept is sound.

Click the image for a full-size view.

Post 14 • IP   flag post
Wow. Thanks. This is great. What a wonderful tool.
Post 15 • IP   flag post
@gspieler

@Steve is the go-to guy for this kind of stuff. He knows AND he shares. Awesome combination.
Post 16 • IP   flag post
29624 16 16
destitute