BillBelew.com
WordPress

How to choose the right WordPress theme2543

Teacher Rev private msg quote post Address this user
WizardsPlace WP Classroom live streaming presentation, 2pm CT. Please join us. Topic: Membership Sites. Also Q&A on any WordPress related topic. Bring your questions.

3pm ET - 2pm CT - Noon PT - 8pm London

Join us in our Zoom presentation "room". Connect by web browser or phone. No account required.

Web Link: https://zoom.us/j/673163244 or
Telephone: +1 408-638-0968 - Meeting ID: 673-163-244
Post 1 • IP   flag post
Member KathrynLang private msg quote post Address this user
This is always an informative time and @Rev is great about answering questions.

I have one for you - how do you find the perfect Wordpress theme for your needs and wants?
Post 2 • IP   flag post
Forum Owner Belew private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynLang
how do you find the perfect Wordpress theme for your needs and wants?

Step 1 is to determine your needs and wants.

Step 2 is to choose a theme, any theme.

Step 3 is to match your needs and wants with the theme you chose.
Post 3 • IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Belew
Step 2 is to choose a theme, any theme.

Step 3 is to match your needs and wants with the theme you chose.

Unless I'm missing something, that would be to allow the theme choice to drive ones need and wants. Living for your WP theme is NOT what I would consider a good choice.

I do accept that determining your needs and wants comes first. I would go as far as to say "understanding" if that isn't implied by determining.

Second would be to examine themes you like to find one that supports those needs and wants. There is more range in themes than you might think. There is a lot in themes that doesn't belong there and may turn an otherwise acceptable theme into a poor choice.

Choosing a theme without understanding how WordPress works -- is supposed to work -- can leave you with a pretty, but ineffective or otherwise costly -- theme, whatever the price.

WordPress is easy. When you know how. If you don't, ask.
Post 4 • IP   flag post
Member DoyleJ private msg quote post Address this user
Rev does the theme really matter right now if I can can change the theme in a month and it all goes into the new theme because of the Genesis future of Word press. Won't it shift latter. I was not worried about website right now as much as learning how to focus my tag line and show to write good content. Then my goal is to focus on good content as much as four times a day consistently.
Sorry I have been so busy lately I did not fall over the edge.
Doyle
Post 5 • IP   flag post
@DoyleJ

If you have chosen a good theme in the first place you are fine. Changing a theme is not a big deal and is, in fact, why themes are separate.

The problem arises when you chose a theme with active functions built in that are lost when you switch themes. This either means sticking with the theme you may no longer want or finding ways to rebuild the broken parts of your site.

If you are using the Genesis framework, and stick with any of the multitude of Genesis child themes, yo will have no trouble. For many, Genesis is a good choice.
Post 6 • IP   flag post
Member KathrynLang private msg quote post Address this user
I was wondering if there is a way to search for a theme based on certain criteria: i.e. mobile first, seo friendly, easy to customize . . . There is nothing more frustrating for me than to find the "perfect" theme only to discover that it won't let me change the header or some other silly thing without delving into the dark caverns of coding (which never works out well for me or those around me).
Post 7 • IP   flag post
Forum Owner Belew private msg quote post Address this user
@KathrynLang

Ask or pay @Rev to you let you have/use one of the many themes he has ... Genesis or a child theme ... and you are good to go.

Free themes have limitations for the reason that they hope you will pay for the upgrade.

That being said... my students, after 4-5 months were seeing 3-5K organic visits per month ... on the black and white default WordPress template.

My take is ... first get visitors ... then work on the look.

All you really need out of the gate is an about page and a blog. Everything else is everything else ... in the beginning.

Too many ppl spend too much time building something they later discover (after/when people start showing up) that is not suitable.

First get eyeballs...with good content ... then work on the look/feel ... not the other way around.
Post 8 • IP   flag post
Teacher SusanDay private msg quote post Address this user
I think choosing the right theme from the beginning is a good idea. I didn't, and have had to spend hours reformatting pages because the first theme didn't fit in the end.
Post 9 • IP   flag post
I recommend three premium (paid) themes, in this order:

1) Woo Canvas
2) Elegant Themes Divi
3) Genesis & child

There are many other good premium themes and lots of good free themes. Of the free ones available, I would put these on the list:

• Suffusion (no longer updated)
• Twenty Sixteen
• Desk Mess Mirrored
• Irex Lite
• Onepress
• Make

In no particular order. And, of course, there are many others.
Post 10 • IP   flag post
29729 10 10
destitute