BillBelew.com
BrainstormingBusiness Advice

Reciprocation Doesn't Work in Silicon Valley2545

Forum Owner Belew private msg quote post Address this user
Reciprocation is one of those 'influence' triggers.

Give people enough and they will by nature feel equally obligated to reciprocate = hire you, engage you, or at least give back in some significant way.

It doesn't work in Silicon Valley.

Here, the 'norm' seems to be that give and take relationships work best.

One side gives and the other side takes.

Far too many times I have been on the giving end ... and the other side just took and took and took and would have kept on taking if I didn't back away.

Reciprocation doesn't work here.

Have you had a different experience where you are?
Post 1 • IP   flag post
Teacher Rev private msg quote post Address this user
I own the domain reciprocity.net -- does that count?
Post 2 • IP   flag post
@Rev

Depends on what you give me and give me and give me and give me...
Post 3 • IP   flag post
Teacher SusanDay private msg quote post Address this user
I can't speak for others, but I always do my best to return the people's generosity and efforts. Sometimes I might not do it as well, but I always make the effort. It can take time too, so I might not respond straight away.
Then there's always the act of paying forward.
Post 4 • IP   flag post
Top Contributor Steve private msg quote post Address this user
Isn't the real secret to tell people what they need to do, but not to tell them how to achieve this...

For example, I can double the amount of business a company generates online in as a little as 90 days... this involves a step by step process.

Now I could go out and simply give everyone all of these steps... and chances are I've written about all of them at some point or another on my blog.

I have not however put them all together in to a system, that people follow... this and the managing of same, are what people pay me for.

So I'm freely giving but also ensuring I'm holding the ace card, that people need to really exploit the information I share.

Let me give you another example.

I taught a lot of people here how to use Twitter, how to grow their accounts using one particular service and how to use a particular plugin to post content.

Now... I also use other tools for Twitter that I haven't shared, these allow me to post content for clients, allow me to incorporate call to actions, etc., and generally boast the effectiveness of the previous things I have taught.

Does this help? Make sense?
Post 5 • IP   flag post
Member gspieler private msg quote post Address this user
@steve @rev @SusanDay @Belew All of this info is helpful to me. I'm still in the building stages of the more commercial aspects of freelance writing. Just about all of my work has been content writing. I'm recently embarking on a more commercial aspect.

On the other side of my career, which has to do with the creative nonfiction genre, books, book proposals, literary agents and commercial publishing, I do have something to share and I give freely. I had a lot of support during the very painful process and greatly enjoy giving back with no expectations or need for reciprocity.
Post 6 • IP   flag post
@gspieler

Do tell ... what is the 'more commercial aspect ... you are embarking on?

I'll ask later abt your writing/publishing experience.
Post 7 • IP   flag post
Hi Bill:

I'm rewriting a tech company website. Not designing it, just creating additional and new content.
Post 8 • IP   flag post
@gspieler

are you still in cahoots with the California Writers Groups?
Post 9 • IP   flag post
Yup. Took several years off while working with Macmillan on my book.

Back now doing some group activities.
Post 10 • IP   flag post
28667 10 10
destitute