BillBelew.com
authorsBrainstormingGenerate Content Ideas

After my book is finished. Then what?2548

Member Natishafost private msg quote post Address this user
Hello everyone,
I am not sure if I mentioned that I am a first-time writer and my book is headed towards it last few chapters, can anyone tell me what's next and recommend any publishing companies. Its an autobiography and I need editing as well but I believe the publisher should do both right?
Post 1 • IP   flag post
Teacher Rev private msg quote post Address this user
@Natishafost

Hi Natisha! I'm going to let some of the more experienced and published authors speak to your questions above, but I just want to welcome you to the forum and invite you to our Wednesday Webbie program starting in about 10 minutes (10pm ET). You can connect by web browser or phone,

Link: https://zoom.us/j/673163244
Telephone: +1 408-638-0968 - Meeting ID: 673-163-244
Post 2 • IP   flag post
Teacher SusanDay private msg quote post Address this user
@Natishafost Great to meet you!

Getting published through a traditional publisher is extremely difficult. They are constantly sent submissions, and simply can't respond to them all.

I am a self-published author of 15 books, and I love being involved with every aspect of the process.

Traditional publishers will expect the manuscript to be edited very well - many don't have the time or the resources to employ good editors. Some hire freelancers who are not native English speakers too, which adds a lot of complexities and issues. You should take control of the editing because at the end of the day, any mistakes will fall to you.

Vanity publishers will take your money and then expect you to do all the marketing yourself. They may offer support, but to be honest it's not worth the money according to authors I know. So, why not self-publish and keep your money?

You can self publish a print book using CreateSpace for and eBook on Kindle Direct and Smashwords - all of these platforms don't charge you anything. If you want to order print books then you'll pay the cost price of producing the book.

I began my career as an author way back when self published authors were frowned upon. Now, we have more power and access to more resources than authors who simply hand over their manuscript and hope for the best.

It's up to you which path you go down, of course.

I am more than happy to walk you through any of the ideas suggested above and support you on your 'author' journey.

It's a wonderful feeling being a published author, and everyone should experience it.
Post 3 • IP   flag post
Wow so much great advice Susan I appreciate it, and Ive had publishers contact me because i recently search up publishers because im almost done with the book and realy dont know how to tell if there real or not. So i will begin with asking for your guidance through this, because I am a bit overwhelmed with all the steps. Thank you Susan so much,
Post 4 • IP   flag post
@Natishafost It is certainly an overwhelming process, but well worth it.

I've wasted a lot of money, and I don't want anyone else to do the same.
Post 5 • IP   flag post
Member Summerbay private msg quote post Address this user
My business is helping authors with the services required to self-publish. Those servicees include editing, book design, cover design, and publishing in print and e-book. For more information see my website at http://www.summerbaypress.com/.

If you'd like to talk in person, just send me a message through the contact page on my site and we can connect. No obligation whatsoever.
Post 6 • IP   flag post
Member KathrynLang private msg quote post Address this user
@Natishafost - I have a few questions for you

When you say "finish" do you mean you already almost done writing or that you are almost done with the re-writes and the edits?

What are your goals/desires for this book?

Have you started building your platform - i.e. ways to connect with potential readers?

Are you involved with any writing groups (online or in person)?
Post 7 • IP   flag post
Student TParker private msg quote post Address this user
I just posted a 'getting started with marketing' article on my blog. But before you begin marketing, you should research the step-by-steps of editing, beta readers, etc. A thorough review of your book not just for grammar but also style and structure will make a big difference regarding quality.

It is too easy for an author to allow themselves to overlook flaws in a work because they are so intimately involved in the creative process.
Post 8 • IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynLang
@Natishafost - I have a few questions for you

When you say "finish" do you mean you already almost done writing or that you are almost done with the re-writes and the edits?

What are your goals/desires for this book?

Have you started building your platform - i.e. ways to connect with potential readers?

Are you involved with any writing groups (online or in person)?
Post 9 • IP   flag post
Hi Kathryn, I am almost finished writing, I have gone through and done editing and rewrites but I know I may have to do or have that done again, and isn't that a part of editing?. Next, my goals and desires are to have a successful autobiography and to share my story to be of some inspiration that has been something similar or know someone that has or just inspiration for those that can get something from it. I am not connected to any writing groups currently because I have not been able to find one I felt strongly about enough to commit my time and effort, so I'm still looking.
Post 10 • IP   flag post
Member KathrynLang private msg quote post Address this user
@Natishafost

There are some great online groups that would provide some encouragement and support for your writing - I have found several Twitter Chats that have been provided me much needed accountability. #10minnovelists and #storydam are two I hangout with on Thurs nights.

As for the editing - I consider the rewrites different - because the rewrites are me going through and working out the form and flow (and making corrections as I see). I always have a few friends that are grammar freaks or English majors edit before I pay for an edit as well.

I love the idea of being an inspiration to others - it's one of my daily goals as well. My foundation word for 2017 was propitious (full of promise). Do you have a specific amount of books you want to sell or giveaway?
Post 11 • IP   flag post
@TParker I couldn't agree more. I used to have a group of friends come around and we would read my manuscript page by page out loud. It was a lot of fun but boy did we find a lot of mistakes which I would have missed.
Post 12 • IP   flag post
@Natishafost Twitter is one of the best ways to meet other authors who are going to be more than happy to help you promote your book as @KathrynLang points out.
Post 13 • IP   flag post
Teacher Rev private msg quote post Address this user
I agree with @TParker and @SusanDay.

Two powerful editing methods -- read out loud, and read backwards (from end to beginning).
Post 14 • IP   flag post
29418 14 14
destitute