BillBelew.com
Business AdviceCareer AdviceNewbie

To Invest or Not to Invest??2551

Member morningstar private msg quote post Address this user
I am at the early stages of trying to create a business and the wonderful rabbit-hole that is the internet throws free opt-in after opt-in with promises of programs that can help me get my business up and running and booking premium clients within 4 months.

I found an extremely pricey program that seems to be legitimate and not a waste of time and money. However, it is a huge investment for me like college tuition.

I am possibly stuck in old school thinking of not spending money until I make money first.

So I guess it's a classic chicken and egg question.

Spending this huge amount on a course is it a wise business decision to bet on them and on myself to be able to start seeing results or do I just bet on myself with time and self-training/self=mentoring?
Post 1 • IP   flag post
Teacher SusanDay private msg quote post Address this user
@morningstar don't spend the money yet as there are a lot of people on this forum who can help you and there's probably a much cheaper or even 30 way of doing what you want to do.

If you provide some more details about the package you're considering buying some of the more experienced folk here could probably advise you.
Post 2 • IP   flag post
Student TParker private msg quote post Address this user
Agreeing with Susan. There are many options for spending your money. We'll try to help you choose the ones that are actually beneficial.
Post 3 • IP   flag post
Student jmolan private msg quote post Address this user
I agree with Susan and TParker. There are people here who can guide you to what you need. And keep you away from what you don't need.Huge amounts of money may buy you a "system" that overwhelms you. Ask away, you may be pleasantly surprised....:-)
Post 4 • IP   flag post
Teacher Rev private msg quote post Address this user
@morningstar

I don't like "systems". In my experience if the approach is one-size-fits-all it is seldom very good. There will ultimately be a system you will develop (perhaps with the help of others) but it will be unique and tailored for you.

You probably can't get there through a cookie-cutter program unless it has a great deal of personal contact. Certainly there is a lot to be learned from packaged training programs but all the answers won't be there. It always comes down to the personal component.

Just my 2¢.
Post 5 • IP   flag post
@SusanDay @TParker @jmolan @Rev

Thank you all for the advice and offer to help. Since I set out to start this business the one thing I feel I am missing is a mentor/teacher someone that can I can check in with to see that I'm on the right track and that I can learn from their life experience. I found more and more that unfortunately, they all look for huge investments from those who are in the worst position.

That said, I am stuck at the moment in determining what is the best product I create so that I can monetize and make sure I can still afford to eat and get my message and help out too as many as possible.

I am trying to improve life in the workplace and communication between genders by talking about how we are very different.
Originally I thought to offer my services as consulting and workshops to corporations. After, speaking to an HR Lawyer from the states. He basically told me that no corp would touch me with a 10-foot pole as they are so afraid to even mention difference. I would have to neuter my message so much to a point that it would no longer be fun.

I then came across advice to start selling something anything and that the easiest way to start is services. This caused me to think I should look into coaching.

So, I would really like to hear all of your 2¢ on how to monetize in your opinions. Is that even the right question to start with?
Post 6 • IP   flag post
Your company name creates a bit of a mixed message. If I am a woman who recognizes gender differences, then I'm not likely to use that particular language. If I embrace the language, then I'm probably not the kind of women who would seek out your service.

If you have faith in your message, then your next step should be to read everything you can about marketing. I had to dig pretty deep through your various profiles to figure out what it was that you offered. Invest time first, learn what you can. Then, if you need more information invest in classes. Doing some initial studying will allow you to learn the language of marketing. This, in turn, will help you get more out of any lessons you take.

I just researched "creating your marketing plan" recently for a client project. There are some really nice primers out there that will help you get started.
Post 7 • IP   flag post
@TParker

Thank you so much, I think this is some of the clarity I am looking for. I really appreciate you taking the time to look at my site and provide your feedback. So, correct me if I'm wrong, it would seem that I need to slow down and the first step is to rework all of my copy and make sure I am very clear on my audience before anything else.
Post 8 • IP   flag post
Absolute. Before you try to sell anything you have to have a clear understand of who will do the buying.
Post 9 • IP   flag post
28667 9 9
destitute