BillBelew.com

Blogging course - good idea?2553

SusanDay private msg quote post Address this user
As some of you may be aware I am planning to write 100 guest post this year.

Recently I was interviewed by CrowdFire and the interviewer became very excited about my project. You can find the link to the interview at the top of my Twitter profile.

After a few email exchanges I sent my interviewer an update and told her I was already at guest post 63 out of 100. And that I had reached the halfway mark by May 1.

Well she put her marketing cap on and suggested I create an ecourse teaching people how to blog and how to guest blog.

So what do you guys think? Do you think it's a good idea? Is it something that would add value to others and be useful?

I have to admit I have been surprised how little so many people know about blogging and how to simply format a blog post. @belew certainly knows his stuff.
Post 1 • IP   flag post
Charlene private msg quote post Address this user
My first thought: would CrowdFire market the course for you?

My second thought: A cursory search on Udemy shows a great inventory of Blogging courses, and on Skillshare there are 532 immediate results ... all telling me that there is a market for blogging.

My third thought: is it worth your time to create such a course?

And my final thought: does such a course fit your current business plan?
Post 2 • IP   flag post
TParker private msg quote post Address this user
I think if you do a course, the key will be marketing. I know there are existing courses, articles, and resources out there. If people aren't finding them--then it must be a marketing issue. That being said, you have a very engaging speaking style. If I were going to watch a course, I would want it to be taught by someone who had your style of delivery.

Would you benefit most from creating a course vs. blogging or writing a book about your experience? Video is an increasingly popular channel but I'm not knowledgeable about the ROI.
Post 3 • IP   flag post
khughey private msg quote post Address this user
I would love it. I have always wanted to start my own blog but never knew what to do. I think it would be great!
Post 4 • IP   flag post
Rev private msg quote post Address this user
@SusanDay

I love the idea and I think it could do very well. Let's talk more about marketing. Did I mention the sister site to the one we talked about? We need to get together!
Post 5 • IP   flag post
gspieler private msg quote post Address this user
I have always struggled with keeping up my blog. It runs in fits and starts in that I;ll have a lot to say for a few weeks then run dry.

There is no shortage of topics, but something gets in the way and I don't know if there is a fix for that?
Post 6 • IP   flag post
@gspieler

If you can, find a time spot in one day (the same day) each week. Spend enough time to write a week's worth of posts. Then use something like the Editorial Calendar plugin to schedule them ahead for the week. This plugin allows you to monitor visually on the calendar, tracking what you have posted and what is scheduled. Easy to do and easy to get in the habit of doing.
Post 7 • IP   flag post
Follow-up to above: keep writing materials (pen and small note book or digital) so you can jot ideas for posts that come up throughout the day and which you will mostly forget about later. Refer to your notes during your writing period each week to help with those dry spells.
Post 8 • IP   flag post
TParker private msg quote post Address this user
When I have a full schedule of writing to do for others, I find it helpful to do some initial research ahead of time. I use either a document or a project notes file (I'm using a project management app) to save links and other resources.

The act of looking for ideas and making those notes triggers my brain at a subconscious level to begin thinking about the blog. Then when I'm ready to write, it is easier to pull up those ideas.

The Pomodoro technique can help you overcome starting block, too.
Post 9 • IP   flag post
@TParker Thank you for your kind words, I know now which format I'll be using
Post 10 • IP   flag post
@gspieler I know I can help you and others with this problem. I am good at thinking up ideas.

You have given me another thing to focus on, thank you
Post 11 • IP   flag post
@khughey I would be honored to help you get started.
Post 12 • IP   flag post
@Charlene thanks for those stats - it makes me realize how I need to really refine my niche, and focus on what I'm good at - thank you
Post 13 • IP   flag post
@Rev Absolutely! PM me and we'll set up a time.
Post 14 • IP   flag post
@Charlene @TParker @gspieler @khughey

After reading your kind and very helpful comments I have one question I would like to ask you -

Would you prefer to pay for a course which was generic and developed to try and meet everyone's needs or...
would you pay a small fee to have guidance, support and mentorship with your blog, one-on-one?

I'm not asking you to pay, I just want to get an idea of what would suit your needs. You guys would be the sort of people I would be honored to work with.

Unless, of course, you want to send me a million $$$ then I would be forever grateful

@Rev which model would you recommend / prefer?
Post 15 • IP   flag post
@SusanDay

Was it Samuel Clemens who said, "I object to millionaires in principle but it would be dangerous to offer me the position!"

I think both approaches (group course, and one-on-one coaching) have their place. You may find one leads to the other (both ways) and having both arrows in your quiver will serve you well.
Post 16 • IP   flag post
gspieler private msg quote post Address this user
@SusanDay...I don't doubt courses are helpful as well as personal coaching.

I've used up my quota of funds for courses. The good news is I've just landed three new clients with some intense assignments. So my challenge right now is time management.

To get back to your question, guidance from successful bloggers is very helpful. I would definitely sign up with a compelling course.
Post 17 • IP   flag post
Belew private msg quote post Address this user
@SusanDay

When is this going to happen?
Post 18 • IP   flag post
@gspieler

Two books on blogging that won't break the bank: Blog Authority and Business Blogging. Find them here: http://wizardsplace.com/wizardsplace-online-bookshop/
Post 19 • IP   flag post
@Belew I've just got to nut out the details...
Post 20 • IP   flag post
Belew private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by SusanDay
nut out the details

You Aussies have a funny way of saying things.

How about iron out the details?

pound out the details?

wash out ...
Post 21 • IP   flag post
@Belew Nuffin' wrong with nuttin' out the details

Anyway, I don't own an iron!
Post 22 • IP   flag post
27497 22 22
destitute